Rank EM! The Voice's of the Huskers

For me the list begins and ends with Lyell Bremser. The man was a pure talent, from the golden days of radio, and he did a superior job. He was wonderful, and I'm very sad that we'll likely never find a replacement for him.

Kent Pavelka was adequate to me, and frankly I haven't listened to Greg Sharpe since we're always on TV now. Warren Swain was, as you said, a poser, and Jim Rose was frustrating to listen to.

Bingo.

Bremser was #1 and there's no one even remotely close to him.

Kent was good but he wasn't PC enough to the legions of Husker fans who cheered firing Frank/Bo.

Warren Swain/Jim Rose.....simply pathetic.

I don't care how you rank them as long as Jim Rose is dead last. Not only was he a tool, but his broadcasts of the game were from way out in left field. During the season, I typically don't get to watch the games live due to harvest. If the games are on TV, I record them to watch later but listen to them on the radio. Rose did this annoying thing of counting down by the friggen yard. He's at the 40, the 39, the 38, the 37, the 36, and he's finally brought down at the 39. I'd be sitting there in the combine wondering wtf just happened. Then, I'd go home and watch the game and it wouldn't even be remotely close to the garbage Rose was spewing on the radio.

Good names from the past include Joe Patrick, Jack Payne and Dave Blackwell. I remember when I was a kid, Ray Scott did Husker game broadcasts. I really liked Lyle the best. I remember being at games with my grandfather, listening to my transistor radio, with an earplug jammed into my ear. :)

As for modern broadcasters, I liked Kent Pavelka, although he lost me for a while with his "Soon-doggies" reference one year. Jim Rose was always throwing in obscure references to a player's hometown or high school. At first that was okay, but it got old when he wouldn't say the down and distance first.

I miss the old days when more than one station broadcast the games, and you could switch back and forth between coverage, and argue about who was the best.

I really liked Kent Pavelka and wished that he would stop doing the Basketball games and return to announcing the Football games, nothing against Greg Sharpe. I really like Greg Sharpe and I think he does a really good and professional job as our current gameday announcer. Greg Sharpe brings in that energy that Rose left behind and I think he has more of that energy too. I don't know much about Lyle Bremser because that was way before my time and the only audio clip I've heard of his is from Johnny Rodgers punt return against OU.

I didn't mind Jim Rose and why I liked him was basically his energy that he brought into the booth on Saturdays. He really got you into the game with his excitement during big plays and/or hits throughout the game. Do I miss him, no not really because again I think Greg Sharpe in doing any outstanding job right now. I really like the sound bite of Greg Sharpe in this video clip and gives me chills everytime I hear not just because of the audio clip but because I wasn't actually at that game.

This is the call from John Neidel. He called it for 90.3 KRNU(UNL radio) This guy has since graduated, but i honestly think this call is solid. I was standing next to him when he made the call and if you listen carefully you can hear me yell.. hard to hear though. I love being in the press box for these games.

I really don't make a habit of correcting spelling errors, but Lyell Bremser brings very special memories for me. I spent 1971 in Vietnam and my Dad sent me cassettes of every game. He recorded Lyell Bremser and those cassettes were gold. Guys in my unit who had no knowledge of or allegiance to Nebraska became fans that season, because of Lyell's great style.

So please. Is it that hard to know the correct spelling of the greatest Husker broadcaster's name?

Lyell Bremser. Not Lyle. Seriously. It's worse than calling the former player Remington. :facepalm:

Bremser, Dave Blackwell and Jack Payne were the first Husker announcers I heard. Hearing Lyell say the "Huskers are moving right to left on your radio dial" was about as good a description a listener would need. They were the best without a doubt and who didn't turn down the sound on their TV's when Nebraska was on TV. Kent Pavelka and Gary Saddlemeyer were solid, but I grew tired of Kent's "Touchdown, Touchdown, Touchdown" when the score was 49 to nothing. Gary Sharpe is okay. I watch most of the games on TV these days. Face it he got the job during the season and it's hard to sound interesting when you have Fiala snoozing next to you. Jim Rose was pathetic. The worse were his crappy little sayings that you could tell he scripted. He should be forgotten just like the Callahan era.

Jim Rose was terrible. My roommate has the 2003 Nebraska vs. Oklahoma State game and I can't even watch it unless I mute it because Rose is so pathetic. It's hilarious like another poster said to hear him saying "He's at the 40, 39, 38, 37, 36, and HE'S FINALLY BROUGHT DOWN AT THE 39!"

EVERY play sounded like it was going for a touchdown, even when it was a three yard gain. The only time he wasn't yelling was when he wasn't talking.

I still can't get over it. It makes me laugh every time I think about it. The fact that he made EVERY play, gain or loss, us scoring or the opponent scoring, sound like a 99 yard touchdown was priceless.... Thank goodness he is gone though. Even though I don't listen to the radio, I am glad for the masses that have to that they don't have to suffer through Jim Rose. :laughpound

• 2 years later...

I can still remember being out in the combine at like age 7 with my Grandpa hearing Warren Swain, "They come out in an I formation, 1 wideout right, slot receiver to the left, Makovicka the fullback, Green at I-back, here's the snap Frost gives it to Green..." Something about how he described the exact formation before every play stuck with me. He may not have been that good, but he is definitely who I remember most from our glory years since I was too young to remember much of Pavelka.

Jim Rose was unbearable like most of you said.

I actually don't like Greg Sharpe. Just do not like his style or voice, cannot explain why. Don't like it.

Bremser is obviously the ultimate.

I can still remember being out in the combine at like age 7 with my Grandpa hearing Warren Swain, "They come out in an I formation, 1 wideout right, slot receiver to the left, Makovicka the fullback, Green at I-back, here's the snap Frost gives it to Green..." Something about how he described the exact formation before every play stuck with me. He may not have been that good, but he is definitely who I remember most from our glory years since I was too young to remember much of Pavelka.

Jim Rose was unbearable like most of you said.

I actually don't like Greg Sharpe. Just do not like his style or voice, cannot explain why. Don't like it.

Bremser is obviously the ultimate.

I'm not a huge Greg Sharpe fan either. I like Pevelka second behind Lyell

Jim Rose was terrible. My roommate has the 2003 Nebraska vs. Oklahoma State game and I can't even watch it unless I mute it because Rose is so pathetic. It's hilarious like another poster said to hear him saying "He's at the 40, 39, 38, 37, 36, and HE'S FINALLY BROUGHT DOWN AT THE 39!"

EVERY play sounded like it was going for a touchdown, even when it was a three yard gain. The only time he wasn't yelling was when he wasn't talking.

I still can't get over it. It makes me laugh every time I think about it. The fact that he made EVERY play, gain or loss, us scoring or the opponent scoring, sound like a 99 yard touchdown was priceless.... Thank goodness he is gone though. Even though I don't listen to the radio, I am glad for the masses that have to that they don't have to suffer through Jim Rose. :laughpound

So Rose was that guy - I had absolutely NO idea of what was going on when he was announcing.

My list:

1a) Bill Wood - announced for KFOR when I started paying attention (edit, Dick Perry, Bill Wood was the color guy - thanks Guy)

1b) Bremser - Dad didn't listen to no Om-a-ha stay-tion

2) Pevelka - worked with my half-brother

3) Sharp

4) Swain

10^10) Pansy er, Rose