Why Nebraska travels so well

jnkyrdoff6

I'm just wondering what you guys think here. I think 1) it's the only team in the state, so almost 100% of the fans are huskers 2) people move out of the state for job ops, but are still husker fans because it's tradition 3) I don't know if this is true or not, but a friend of mine from Louisiana said he thought the huskers were America's team, and he slams the huskers and the B12 every chance he gets. Can any of the out-of-staters fill me in here? You think that's true?

I went to the vtech, kansas, and big 12 championship games as away games...and I am from Columbus, Nebraska. Plane to blacksburg, and drove to the other two. But in blacksburg I met many Nebraska fans who now lived in the Washington DC area...so obviously people from Nebraska travel, but there are probably other fans in those states already.

Nebraska has a pretty large and varied fan base that extends to all parts of the U.S. There is also a pretty large alumni group spread out world wide.

But not only that, it just goes back to tradition. People love Husker football and they love Husker football because we win. Without those winning years we probably wouldn't travel near as well as we do now. Our fan base has just built themselves up to love the Huskers that much. Nobody is as devoted to their team as Nebraska fans are.

people move out of the state for job ops, but are still husker fans because it's tradition

I'm sure there are many factors involved, but this is definitely one of the biggest. We export a LOT of people. There simply aren't the same kinds of jobs in the same volume here in Nebraska as you can find in other states with larger populations. People are born and raised here, then leave, but retain their loyalty to the team.

Pretty much all of my cousins have moved out of the state, but they retain their Husker loyalty living in California, Louisiana, Texas, New Jersey, Virginia and Missouri.

I was not born in Nebraska, never lived there, nor am I an alumni. In fact, I was born in Colorado, raised in California, and went to school at the U of Arizona... My Dad was and always has been a Husker, and I have never known any different. Of course, I grew up during what I consider the golden years, 1982-2001.... So, I had it kind of easy until recently...

I was raised a mizzou fan, and when i saw the huskers play in 1994 in columbia i quickly changed my allegiance, and have been a fan ever since. I was told by other nebraska fans in columbia that nebraska travels so well is because tickets are so hard to find in lincoln that people have to go elsewhere. I don't know how true that is because I don't have personal experience. Can anybody verify that?

I was raised a mizzou fan, and when i saw the huskers play in 1994 in columbia i quickly changed my allegiance, and have been a fan ever since. I was told by other nebraska fans in columbia that nebraska travels so well is because tickets are so hard to find in lincoln that people have to go elsewhere. I don't know how true that is because I don't have personal experience. Can anybody verify that?

:yeah

Tickets are very hard to get for Husker Home games because of the Home sell-out streak. I know alot of Huskers that have season tickets, but live out of state and commute back for games.

I would be preaching to the choir if I tried explaining why Nebraska travels so well. We JUST DO IT!! :thumbs

:yeah

Tickets are very hard to get for Husker Home games because of the Home sell-out streak. I know alot of Huskers that have season tickets, but live out of state and commute back for games.

I would be preaching to the choir if I tried explaining why Nebraska travels so well. We JUST DO IT!! :thumbs

The first time I went to skers away game was the Holiday Bowl, and I was just really surprised at how many more husker fans were there, seeing as how AZ is right next to CA.

The first time I went to skers away game was the Holiday Bowl, and I was just really surprised at how many more husker fans were there, seeing as how AZ is right next to CA.

Nebraska fans own Arizona. Arizonans for Nebraska, AZ4NE.com, is one of the largest alumni groups. ASU doesn't get near the amount of support that NU gets here. U of A has to contend with the Southern Arizonans for Nebraska. I actually think if the economy was better, NU wouldv'e had an even more dominant fan showing at the Holiday. Californians for Nebraska is another huge alumni association. Its tough for opposing teams' fans, even ones in their home state, to outdrawn NU in Arizona or California bowl games.

Lots of good points, and all probably true in one way or another. The "America's Team" angle intrigues me though, and Ive wondered about it before. Because our fanbase is so knowledgeable, and generally well behaved, friendly, etc., we make many "part-time fans," if you will. People that may cheer for the Huskers if their nearby simply because its a fun team to watch, with fun, friendly people. Living in several different parts of the country, there were always some of this type of fan at the Husker watchsites. Folks like killer cacti around here only add to the possibility that Nebraska is one of many "America's Team," like a Notre Dame, but better of course. ;) Of course, that always goes both ways, as an Air Force buddy from Florida proved to me, who wished every single Husker fan would rot in hell because he couldnt stand the attitude of our fanbase. It was truly scary the passion he carried in his hatred for Nebraska. (64-24 had a lot to do with it, I believe) Those seem to be few and far between though, compared to the ones that respect the program and fans.

Another reason for NU’s great bowl attendance is the weather. Quite a few Nebraskans attend bowl games because they are generally located in fair weather cities that are good vacation destinations. But I guess that doesn't explain the rabid Husker fans spread throughout the U.S.

Another reason for NUs great bowl attendance is the weather. Quite a few Nebraskans attend bowl games because they are generally located in fair weather cities that are good vacation destinations. But I guess that doesn't explain the rabid Husker fans spread throughout the U.S.

Part of it is probably the success the team has had. There's many that have nothing to do with Nebraska, but since they have no particular feeling for their local school they latch on to whomever they think is good, see on tive all of the time. Its why I believe I've seen so many Gator and USC "fans" over the past decade where I rarely saw them prior.

I think traveling well has also become a real goal for Husker Nation... something to be proud of in and of itself. One real emblem of pride was painting Notre Dame's stadium RED! Posters/pics of that are still everywhere!

This does have a lot to do with it. I was going to say something similar. They also may be going to a place they've not spent much time in before, so it is like a vacation (non-conference games anyway). But, just showing up in huge numbers and out-supporting the opponent, as crazy as it sounds, is part of the motivation. Why else would people parade around the other teams city - two days before the game - in those god-awful red outfits. :espnsucks: