Rex Burkhead listed as a breakout player in 2010

also pardon my ignorance with this mainly because im not all that familiar with Burkhead. Who is better at pass protection? and who is the better pass catching back?

Based on what I saw last season, I'd say Helu is slightly better at recognizing blitzes but Burkhead sticks the blitzer a little better. They're about the same as pass catchers, maybe a slight edge to Burkhead. All-in-all I'd say the difference isn't much in these 2 areas. And they're totally different types of runners, which makes them difficult to compare.

also pardon my ignorance with this mainly because im not all that familiar with Burkhead. Who is better at pass protection? and who is the better pass catching back?

Based on what I saw last season, I'd say Helu is slightly better at recognizing blitzes but Burkhead sticks the blitzer a little better. They're about the same as pass catchers, maybe a slight edge to Burkhead. All-in-all I'd say the difference isn't much in these 2 areas. And they're totally different types of runners, which makes them difficult to compare.

One of the things the coaches talked about last spring is how good Burkhead is at picking up blitzes and pass protection. So for being a Freshman last year he was way ahead of the curve. You should check out some of his videos on youtube.

Anyone else think Rex should keep the white tape on his ankles? I think it looks sweet.

both these guys are gonna have to watch Heard get some carries....

:huh: What makes you say that? I don't see Heard getting action unless one or both of our top backs goes down with injury (obviously not out of the question). But, if both stay healthy & Tray is good to go as RB3, Heard still has 3 or 4 guys he'll need to best to even stand a chance. Then again, Rex saw plenty of time in his freshman year...

how do you guys think the carries will be split up between Helu Jr and Burkhead?

Helu will be no 1 and get to start but when Helu needs a break or a wild cat opportunity comes up, they will have no problem inserting Rex.

60% Helu

30% Rex

10% Robinson/Heard

Injuries can/will change that percentage.

IMO, Helu has shown an inability to take the pounding of a full game. I think it would be to the benefit of the team if becomes the closer, and let Burkhead work in early in games, if not start. Helu seems to run well in the 4th quarter.

I think the reason we saw that has more to do with us pounding the rock for a majority of the game. Eventually the defense gets wore down and its at that point that Helu seems to run wild, even Burkhead had some good runs late in games. This is why moving to a more physical run style offense will vastly improve our chances in the Big12. Most teams are built to try and stop pass happy offenses, but when we lean on an undersized defense for an entire game eventually something has to give. For examples see the T.O. years.

I was actually really surprised and liked watching Robinson run the ball. It was pretty apparent why he didn't play early and was in the process of redshirting because his blocking was fairly pathetic. However, he's a very gifted runner that I see getting as many as twenty percent of the snaps if he learns to pick up the blocks. I'd say we have a very good running back crew heading into 2010.

I think a healthy Helu will still be the number 1 back. His burst through the hole and ability to cut without losing speed is astounding. Rex however will take all the snaps at our "wild-husker" or whatever you want to name it. Depending on the progress of our QBs I could see Helu getting 17-20 carries a game, Burkhead getting 10-13 carries and Robinson/Heard getting 5 or 6 carries a game.