Tyler Gabbert suffered a broken nose in weekend scuffle

Nexus

I think this is a little thing they call karma......

Side note, how did the Gabbert bros not get MIPs?

in Missouri, you actually have to be in possision to get an MIP

Actually, the law was changed a few years ago so that 'consumption' = 'possession', as in you're possessing in your body.

MU, When did they do that? I know in like 03 they started the zero tolerance (0.0 law). So that if your a minor and were arrested and blew anything they could tack it on. But it was my understanding without a reason for charges, it was not stand alone, unless you physically possessed alcohol.

Missouri's New Minor in Possession (MIP) Law

"Possession by Consumption"

HCS SS SB 402 MIP "Possession by Consumption"

Introduction

On July 13, 2005, Missouri Governor Matt Blunt signed HCS SS SB 402 into law. Six weeks later, on August 28, 2005, the new statute took effect. Missouri's new MIP law expands the old MIP law's definition of "possession" to include "possession by consumption" and appearing "visibly intoxicated."

from this MIP attorney:

http://www.modwi.com/MIP.asp

Well no wonder I didnt know, I was out of college and past the legal age by then. Good catch my knowledgeable about drinking laws buddy :lol:

I'm sure it's no big deal when it happens to MU

http://www.tigerextra.com/news/2010/feb/15/scuffle-leaves-mu-freshman-qb-broken-nose/?sports

In a scene that ended with three Missouri football players wearing handcuffs, freshman quarterback Tyler Gabbert suffered a broken nose early Saturday morning when he was punched by another patron at a downtown restaurant.

Quarterbacks Blaine and Tyler Gabbert and linebacker Andrew Gachkar were handcuffed and questioned by Columbia police outside Gumby’s Pizza after they had exchanged words — and at least one damaging punch — with another group of unidentified men, according to a Columbia police report. Police arrived at the restaurant at 1:27 a.m. in response to a call about a disturbance and interviewed 12 different people at the scene, Columbia police spokeswoman Officer Jessie Haden said. No arrests were made.

Gumby’s General Manager Noah Schmidt, who witnessed the scene and later talked to police, said it was nothing out of the ordinary for a late night downtown.

"It was just some really drunk people," he said. "Both parties are certainly to blame, but with all the confusion there’s really no way of knowing exactly who was at fault."

According to the police report, the exchange started when a group of men were hassling one of the players about taking too long in the bathroom. The talk escalated out into the restaurant – the players later told police the men were "mouthing off" – and led to a scuffle that was broken up quickly.

The unidentified males were described by one source as older than college students and likely not from Columbia. The source, who asked not to be identified, described the punch that broke Gabbert’s nose as an unprovoked assault.

"He was attacked," the source said. "There’s no other word for it. You’ve got an adult who attacked a kid, sucker punched him."

Gabbert’s injury will require surgery. When questioned at the scene, Gabbert, 18, could not identify the person who hit him, Haden said.

According to the report, Gachkar required stitches after suffering a large cut on his hand from slamming it on a table and breaking a plate.

"It looked like the football players got the worst end of the deal," Columbia Police Detective Jeff Westbrook said.

The report said both sides were questioned by police, but the report did not disclose the names of the other males. A source said Blaine Gabbert, 20, was thrown to the ground by police and handcuffed, though the report did not indicate anyone was handcuffed at the scene.

The report said police suspected the players and the others involved had been drinking, citing "varying levels of intoxication" on the report, but no one was ticketed or arrested for underage drinking or public intoxication. Of the three players involved, Gachkar, 21, was the only one of legal drinking age.

Schmidt said he explained to police that the players were not responsible for instigating the incident.

"When the officer finished, he couldn’t figure out exactly what had happened," Westbrook said, "so he didn’t have probable cause for anyone to be arrested."

No further legal action involving the players is expected.

Missouri Coach Gary Pinkel is aware of the situation, but the players will not be disciplined by the football program, team spokesman Chad Moller confirmed.

Fresh out of Parkway West High School, Tyler Gabbert enrolled at MU a semester early last month and signed his national letter of intent two weeks ago. Blaine, his older brother, is MU’s starting quarterback. Gachkar is also a returning starter.

Well, maybe it's better that he went to MU? :dunno:dunno

he's just a kid not an adult. okay :)

gotta keep his nose outa other peoples fists

GBR

late bulletin 3 men wearing red jerseys with N's on them were being labeled as persons of interest. Anyone knowing the whereabouts of these scoundrels notify Barney or Andy of the CPD. All are considered to be meaner than a MU player.

They got in a fight and little bro got his nose broken. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/02/missouri-freshman-tyler-gabbert-ends-up-with-broken-nose-after-dispute/1

Tyler Gabbert is already getting a taste of college life after graduating high school early and enrolling at Missouri last month. Gabbert was in a scuffle Saturday night and ended up with broken nose after being punched at a restaurant.

Gabbert was with older brother Blaine Gabbert, the Tigers starting quarterback, and linebacker Andrew Gachkar when they were involved in an incident with another group.

The unidentified males were described as older than college age. And Gabbert was considered the victim of an unprovoked assault.

"He was attacked," the person told Columbia Press Tribune. "There's no other word for it. You've got an adult who attacked a kid, sucker punched him."

In addition to Tyler Gabbert's injury, Gachkar needed stitches on his hand from slamming it on a table and breaking a plate, according to a police report. No arrests were made by police.

"It looked like the football players got the worst end of the deal," Columbia Police detective Jeff Westbrook said.

The incident in Columbia was common for Gumby's general manager Noah Schmidt, who witnessed the scene and later talked to police.

"It was just some really drunk people," he said. "Both parties are certainly to blame, but with all the confusion there's really no way of knowing exactly who was at fault."

One of the comments from the news article. True its an anomynous post, but it sounds like it was someone that was present at the pizza place. As a point of reference, remember when Bo arrived in Lincoln and he went around to bars looking if his players were present? Maybe this is why the Gabberts never came to Lincoln.

outrageous says...

First off I would like to thank the gentleman that punched Tyler Gabbert in the face. After what had obviously been a long night of drinking for both parties involved, Gabbert was being completely inappropriate with ladies present at Gumbys saturday night. When one gal told him and the other football players to screw off they became more verbal and the night escalated. They preceeded to hassle the gal's boyfriend in the bathroom and words were exchanged. A scuffle ensued.

Tyler needs to learn that he isn't in highschool anymore and that you have to be able to back up your mouth or be quiet.

Also these boys should know better than to be visibly intoxicated in public when underage. However, having said that they are never disciplined when found in possession of alcohol. Blaine Gabbert is frequently seen out at local bars where bar tenders and cops KNOW he is underage. But yet no one refuses to serve him, and the cops make small talk with him while arresting the individual behind him for Minor in Possession. Please correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding of MIP is that the stomach is leagally an open container so the individual doesn't have to be in possession of actual visible alcohol, but mearly has to be intoxicated, which both of the Gabbert boys were Friday night.

I know its rough being "famous" and constantly under scrutiny by the community that you live in, but you boys all made the choice to play football at mizzou. If you don't want the watchful eye that comes with it, QUIT! I'm not saying don't drink, HELL you're in college live it up while you're young, but be smart about it.

Also to the Columbia Police Department, thank you for all having level heads the other night. It was obviously a drunken mistake that escalated too far. However, next time you encounter an intoxicated minor, please do me one favor... your job. Both Gabberts should have been arrested for MIPs. Lets not turn the other way just because you want your local missouri tigers to succeed on the football field. Lets first help them succeed in life so that when they later turn pro, our kids have better role models to look up to instead of some of the hooligans present in pro sports.

• Fire 1

One of the comments from the news article. True its an anomynous post, but it sounds like it was someone that was present at the pizza place. As a point of reference, remember when Bo arrived in Lincoln and he went around to bars looking if his players were present? Maybe this is why the Gabberts never came to Lincoln.

outrageous says...

First off I would like to thank the gentleman that punched Tyler Gabbert in the face. After what had obviously been a long night of drinking for both parties involved, Gabbert was being completely inappropriate with ladies present at Gumbys saturday night. When one gal told him and the other football players to screw off they became more verbal and the night escalated. They preceeded to hassle the gal's boyfriend in the bathroom and words were exchanged. A scuffle ensued.

Tyler needs to learn that he isn't in highschool anymore and that you have to be able to back up your mouth or be quiet.

Also these boys should know better than to be visibly intoxicated in public when underage. However, having said that they are never disciplined when found in possession of alcohol. Blaine Gabbert is frequently seen out at local bars where bar tenders and cops KNOW he is underage. But yet no one refuses to serve him, and the cops make small talk with him while arresting the individual behind him for Minor in Possession. Please correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding of MIP is that the stomach is leagally an open container so the individual doesn't have to be in possession of actual visible alcohol, but mearly has to be intoxicated, which both of the Gabbert boys were Friday night.

I know its rough being "famous" and constantly under scrutiny by the community that you live in, but you boys all made the choice to play football at mizzou. If you don't want the watchful eye that comes with it, QUIT! I'm not saying don't drink, HELL you're in college live it up while you're young, but be smart about it.

Also to the Columbia Police Department, thank you for all having level heads the other night. It was obviously a drunken mistake that escalated too far. However, next time you encounter an intoxicated minor, please do me one favor... your job. Both Gabberts should have been arrested for MIPs. Lets not turn the other way just because you want your local missouri tigers to succeed on the football field. Lets first help them succeed in life so that when they later turn pro, our kids have better role models to look up to instead of some of the hooligans present in pro sports.

Sounds like the police have some splaining to do Lucy!!! I read the first article and I was puzzled why the MU football players weren't taken to jail for at least being drunk and underage. Sounds like the local cops trying to keep the MU football team somewhat together. Without big baby Gabbert they would be a mess. Underage drinking is a serious offense. How and why can these places not lose their liquor licenses over this? What happens when these kids take out the HC and his kids heading home from a midnight meal at Denny's. It is not so funny anymore.

Why do you think some pro athletes are in a lot of trouble? Maybe they feel they are above the law.

Wow, great letter. I was very curious why the player seemed to get off with no trouble when they had been drinking.

I could give you my opinion as to why the Gabbys got off clean, but I would probably just sound like a bitter Tiger hater so I'll refrain. <_<

I would imagine our opinions would be about the same.

I think this is a little thing they call karma......

Side note, how did the Gabbert bros not get MIPs?

in Missouri, you actually have to be in possision to get an MIP

Actually, the law was changed a few years ago so that 'consumption' = 'possession', as in you're possessing in your body.

MU, When did they do that? I know in like 03 they started the zero tolerance (0.0 law). So that if your a minor and were arrested and blew anything they could tack it on. But it was my understanding without a reason for charges, it was not stand alone, unless you physically possessed alcohol.

Missouri's New Minor in Possession (MIP) Law

"Possession by Consumption"

HCS SS SB 402 MIP "Possession by Consumption"

Introduction

On July 13, 2005, Missouri Governor Matt Blunt signed HCS SS SB 402 into law. Six weeks later, on August 28, 2005, the new statute took effect. Missouri's new MIP law expands the old MIP law's definition of "possession" to include "possession by consumption" and appearing "visibly intoxicated."

from this MIP attorney:

http://www.modwi.com/MIP.asp

Well no wonder I didnt know, I was out of college and past the legal age by then. Good catch my knowledgeable about drinking laws buddy :lol:

The best Mizzou law is how passengers can be in a car with open containers. Back when I lived in KC, we would always have a few road sodas on the way to a game or something.

All I have to say to this story is "oh well".

I have heard many a story regarding people formerly a part of the Husker coaching staff doing things they shouldn't have and simply getting away with it because they were involved with Husker football. One story of a particular coach comes to mind....

But, I digress. In this day and age, there is no excuse for people to get off easy for things like this. Even if this was a Nebraska player, I would prefer the correct disciplinary approach be taken as opposed to people getting special treatment.