Too Much, Too Soon???

walksalone

First off I would like to say that I really don't think we are going to end up the #5 team in the nation as some polls are indicating, we are good but I don't think we are going to be that good. With that said I am still loving these rankings because it is building up that confidence that NU players once had, that they can go into any stadium and beat any team. With Bo at the helm this hype is not going to hinder our program (like we have seen recently with OKstate) but rather lift this program back where it needs to be in future years.

Why does everyone have to be such a Debbie Downer? There will be a much improved offense and a defense that will be just as good that simply wont HAVE to be. I'll be surprised if we lose a game. Callahan is gone. The players and coaches have the swagger back, now it's time for ALL the fans to get theirs back. We belong at the top and we know it, so lets start acting like we expect it as opposed to wondering if we're gonna wind up like Mississippi.

• Fire 3

The media hype is just that. Nothing more. I also think there is a wide gap between the fans perspective of the hype and the players perspective of it. I'm confident that Bo will keep his players grounded through it all. He's a nose-to-the-grindstone type of coach and realizes the trivial nature of the business such as preseason rankings. I don't imagine this sort of thing keeps him up at night. The fans on the other hand....

• Fire 1

The media hype is just that. Nothing more. I also think there is a wide gap between the fans perspective of the hype and the players perspective of it. I'm confident that Bo will keep his players grounded through it all. He's a nose-to-the-grindstone type of coach and realizes the trivial nature of the business such as preseason rankings. I don't imagine this sort of thing keeps him up at night. The fans on the other hand....

I agree. I think that Bo is great because of his demeanor. He's never too high, never too low. He's really confident, but not arrogant. The atmosphere of the team is to always compete. I think that increases the intensity on every play. If you wanna play, you have to compete. If you play, you have play well to stay on the field. I think that shifts the focus from hype of the team or individual and puts it on their play.

And to be devil's advocate as well, we lost to Iowa state...and that was a stunner. Couldn't believe a Bo coached team could lose like that. 8 TO's

Why does everyone have to be such a Debbie Downer? There will be a much improved offense and a defense that will be just as good that simply wont HAVE to be. I'll be surprised if we lose a game. Callahan is gone. The players and coaches have the swagger back, now it's time for ALL the fans to get theirs back. We belong at the top and we know it, so lets start acting like we expect it as opposed to wondering if we're gonna wind up like Mississippi.

Not a "debbie downer" just a realist. I know Bo will have our D in top form but the offense still has too many questions to be expecting a top 5 season. If you want some out completely crazy predictions that have no foundations you should go to tigerboard.com they are a real delusional bunch.

• Fire 2

Yeah i can really see Bo letting this get to the teams head and not working hard this spring and fall because the press annoints us back. The hype is for the fans, but it cant hurt for our recruiting next year.

I actually feel quite the opposite. Seeing how Bo has carried himself the last two years makes believe the way I do. He always preaches about not getting too high and not getting too low. Most of the guys on the team were playing against Texas Tech last year. We went into that game ranked 15 and laid a huge egg. I think most of the guys will remember that this game can be brutal on any given Saturday.

I don't think there's been this much hype, since Bo was announced as our HC.

I have no doubt that Bo's going to do a good job of keeping the players on a even keel, so to speak. I think our offense is going to see a noticeable improvement from last year and I can honestly say, I don't think we'll see that much of a drop off on the defensive side of the ball.

The majority of the college football media and it's pundits, all of a sudden said, "who the hell are these guys!??!??!!?" after the Big XII title game.

Yeah i can really see Bo letting this get to the teams head and not working hard this spring and fall because the press annoints us back.:sarcasm The hype is for the fans, but it cant hurt for our recruiting next year.

Fixed it for ya :thumbs

I've never seen a bo coach team not live up to the hype. Some of the rankings might be too high, but trust in one thing. Bo will get the best out of every player he coaches.

For the first time in a long time I am confident that our defense will be good overall. During this last season the thing I noticed from our defense was character. Not one time did any defensive player publicly criticize the offense. They stuck with each other. I remember Suh being the first to pick up his offensive teammates when they made a mistake. That type of leadership is hard to come by. Suh has set the example of what a leader should be both on and off the field. The point to all of this is the defense was a reflection of the coaches leadership. They had the attitude that whatever the offense scored is good enough and it their job to ensure the other teams offense scores less. Coach Pelini does listen to the media he played the us against the world card to a T last year. Remember the message on the eye black in the Big 12 championship or the United we Tunnel Walk before the ISU game. This year as a media darling he will break them down to build them up. Not one player will feel that they have arrived or are worthy of any extra attention.

After all the Kool Aid above let me get back to me for my name sake:

I don't know what the heck the offense will look like next year.

• Fire 1

I don't think Nebraska is shooting for the stars as much as some pessimists who claim to be "realists" let on. The talent is there. The potential is there. The coaching is there. I think it is very realistic to expect a serious run at the BIG XII Championship, perhaps even as the favorite. I would be very suprised to see Nebraska win less than 10 games next year. The expectation level in itself is a step in the right direction. If you ever take time to look around and notice, modern college football is 75% politics and 25% football. That really sucks, but it doesn't make it any less true. In my opion all the Nebraska hype out there is like adding another W to the schedule.. I'll take it.

I have no idea where Nebraska will finish the 2010 season being ranked. However, I do know that we're so ever close to getting our swagger back. With a break here and a break there, the 2009 season would have done that. Once we get our swagger back, the rest of the conference had better watch out. Look at OU for example. In 2009, they seemed to have lost their swagger. There's a huge difference going into a big game between hoping to win and expecting to win. The attitude adjustment these players needed has now come to pass. While I'm not expecting a NC in 2010, I am expecting to win the Big 12.