Thenarse gets extra year

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/thenarse_receives_extra_year.html

Thenarse receives extra year

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on February 18, 2010 at 5:27PM CST

I spoke with Rickey Thenarse today and the safety said he was told last Thursday that he's been granted another season as a Husker.

This was what he and coaches expected, but now Thenarse has received official word.

Thenarse tore the ACL in his right leg during the first quarter of the Louisiana-Lafayette game last season and didn't know if he'd ever get to play for Nebraska again.

"For a second I thought that it'd be over, but I really didn't get to play that much in those first three games," Thenarse said. "I knew I had a pretty good shot at getting a year back. It was another one of those deals in my life where I said, 'It had to be God that made this happen.'"

The senior feels like he's at 90 percent and is confident he'll be able to compete in spring ball. He said he's back to doing everything but competing in 7-on-7 drills.

"Those guys are competing at a high level right now and they don't want to put that kind of pressure on my knee," Thenarse said of sitting out 7-on7s.

Lot more on Thenarse in a story for Friday's paper.

So, I know Bo is really high on PJ Smith, and based on last year with his limited playing time, I can see why. But who's going to be SS and FS? To me, it seems PJ would take the role of FS while Thenarse takes over at SS.

Who else is in the mix at the safety position? I mean, I know of Osborne, Cassidy, and Ebke, but I haven't really heard any good or bad things about any of them. I also heard that Hagg may also be in the mix at safety.

So, I know Bo is really high on PJ Smith, and based on last year with his limited playing time, I can see why. But who's going to be SS and FS? To me, it seems PJ would take the role of FS while Thenarse takes over at SS.

Who else is in the mix at the safety position? I mean, I know of Osborne, Cassidy, and Ebke, but I haven't really heard any good or bad things about any of them. I also heard that Hagg may also be in the mix at safety.

Actually I think Smith is in line to become the starting SS, while Thenarse would play FS. Aside from what I've heard in this forum about Hagg, I don't have any other evidence pointing toward him becoming a safety next season (although I think he'd be a great fit for that position). Dijon Washington is coming off redshirt & he was one of our better 2009 recruits. So, I would expect to see him fight for PT along with Cassidy, Osborne & Ebke.

He better make the most of it and get the defense down. He has alot of talent, just can't seem to get the defensive schemes down from what I hear.

I've heard as much, as well. It's good that he's been given one last year, but he's always been a hard-hitter who plays out of position. I'm interested to see if this extra year will help him out.

Here's hoping Ricky finally gets the mental aspect of the game down. If Ricky and Eric Martin both can figure out what they are supposed to do . . . wow. That'd be an INTIMIDATING couple of tacklers. Worse case scenario we still get to watch them on special teams.

I'm really pulling for Martin. He's got the motor and those intangible qualities that will make him a great football player. He just needs to get the defense down.

Here's hoping Ricky finally gets the mental aspect of the game down. If Ricky and Eric Martin both can figure out what they are supposed to do . . . wow. That'd be an INTIMIDATING couple of tacklers. Worse case scenario we still get to watch them on special teams.

I'm really pulling for Martin. He's got the motor and those intangible qualities that will make him a great football player. He just needs to get the defense down.

Me too. And to above poster, I agree. I think Bo has really been stocking the defensive cupboard and thenarse may be average among the talent.

As impressive as PJ was in limited time, no one should assume he is getting a starting spot. ALOT of competition for that safety spot with a couple of kids putting in some serious OT to get it from PJ.