Husker 1995 Flashback

SwiftFan87

I was scared to death about that game. First of all, Michael Booker hadn't had a great year and was fairly young. I thought the fun'n gun would be too much for him to handle. However, he had probably one of if not the best game of his Nebraska career. Secondly, I was really concerned about bringing LP back into the mix and starting him at RB. I was afraid this might cause a lot of distractions for the rest of the team especially with the media going into the game.

KU was a 10 win team. They finished ranked #11.

Yeah, I'd remembered Kansas was #11, but forgot Colorado finished #6 and KSU-#12. (All (10-2))

And OU went 5-5.

Also, Future Big-12:

#9 aTm (9-3)

#14 Tejas (10-2)

#19 Texas Tech (9-3)

Thought for sure the Big-12 would dominate after the merger. <_<

I had misgivings about that game. I remember how impressive Florida was throughout 2005, but I also remember that they hadn't played the same schedule we had played, and thinking we'd win - but in a close game. I figured we couldn't stop them from scoring but that we could shorten the game with our ball-control ground game.

We watched the game at the home of my wife's work buddy. Both she and her husband were Florida alums. After the first quarter I was not feeling too comfortable, but felt we weren't in any trouble. It was an exciting game.

After the second quarter, we spent most of halftime trying to cheer up our hosts with comments like, "You guys could come back..." and the like. I spent the whole second half holding in my glee. :)

One thing - Tommie gets way too much credit for "The Run." The Gators gave up on that play. That's pretty obvious. Yeah, he fought on and tore out of their grasp, but they were barely giving a half-hearted effort to bring him down. Florida's defense wasn't SO bad, nor was Tommie SO good, that he could break away from seven determined tacklers. It was just a case of a team being mentally and emotionally beaten, and Tommie and the Huskers at their peak.

Read the context of what I wrote, people. I never said Tommie Frazier wasn't good. It's ridiculous to gig my post if you're not reading it correctly. Sheesh.

Guys, knapplc has a valid point here. I can expand on it a little bit.

Yes, that run is probably one of the best plays in Cornhusker football history. And yes, a lot of what happened there had to do with Tommie being Tommie. But you also need to consider a couple of things.

1) That was the longest run Frazier had had all year up into that point. If that was "all him", why hadn't he done something as equally as impressive before that game? Don't read any more into that than what you have to. I'm just saying, that was a first for Tommie.

2) That score came when Nebraska was up 42-17 or something like that, giving Nebraska 49 points after the run. Does anybody really think Florida was trying their best at this point in the game? If you think so, you are severely mistaken. You try being down by 30+ points in one of the most important games of your life, and tell me how "motivated" you would be.

3) From the replays, you can tell a lot of the Florida players are going for the strip instead of the tackle. That also helped Tommie break free from some of those tackles.

So, I'm not saying that the run wasn't impressive or that I don't love to see it, because I do. I just think it's important to realize that came at a very vulnerable time for the Gators.

Uh, Nebraska is int the PLAINS. I think there was some grass for us to practice on from time to time. It was all about Florida cuz they had a "prettier offense"

Not when its all under snow. Although I do agree that it was a reason for all the analysts to pick Florida, even though I believe it is one of the lamest reasons to pick a team.

I got to go to that game as a combined birthday/christmas/reminded for all time gift present from my parents. I was in junior high. It never ended..."we sent you to the title game, take out the trash...you'd think he'd keep his room cleaner after we gave him those tickets..." on and on and on.

I had kind of forgotten about Berringer leading two scoring drives and Turman cruisin them down the field. Shows you the depth and trust everyone on that team had

I remember being down quick there in the first quarter, and giving up the way a 13 year old will (oh no, its the end of the world!), and my dad just saying calmly, "Dont worry, theres gonna be a lot of points scored in this game, and they dont have the blackshirts..." Boom...Cue safety. Boom...Cue interception for TD. Boom...cue pop's rock star status.

I gave you one point back Knapplc...whatever...:) Had that play happened with the game still undecided it would've be hyped as one of the greatest ever (outside of Nebraska that is). They were mentally and physically beaten. How many times in other sports do you see the same thing...guy drives the lane in the final seconds (opposing team down by 12) and someone just sticks an arm out there but doesn't slow him down....

I was a freshman in highschool that game and just moved over by topeka ks and was pretty much the only husker fan (besides dad of course) in that area. I was nervous...bought into the florida hype a little and our history in the orange bowl since I was alive wasn't so good....will never shake that 94 orange bowl. But yeah it was a blast. My dad and I had so much fun.

Glad to see a few people are amused by the video.

After getting ahold of the tapes I couldn't think of a good reason not to share some of 'em on youtube. I have a few others that are less edited, the grass/predictions video was kind of a *Best of*.

For anyone who wants a more extended flashback of Gameday Fiesta Bowl '95 coverage, here's part 1of6:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es9r5H7fsQc

There was also a full hypefest documentary from CBS prior to the game. The Gator fans in part 3 are my personal favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es9r5H7fsQc

There's videos from other games that year as well.

As for Tommie's run. I agree, I don't think the Gators were exactly putting their all into tackling him but I think its because 1.they were trying to strip the football, and 2.they thought their teammates had him wrapped up. And why wouldn't you? you have several of your guys surrounding him, what is he going to do? get away? ...ooops.

Watch the replay (for the 9,000,000th time), the Gators with the best shot are grabbing for the ball and then tripping over teammates and falling to the ground. IMO it speaks more to Tommie that he could keep on his feet while they couldn't.

I had misgivings about that game. I remember how impressive Florida was throughout 2005, but I also remember that they hadn't played the same schedule we had played, and thinking we'd win - but in a close game. I figured we couldn't stop them from scoring but that we could shorten the game with our ball-control ground game.

We watched the game at the home of my wife's work buddy. Both she and her husband were Florida alums. After the first quarter I was not feeling too comfortable, but felt we weren't in any trouble. It was an exciting game.

After the second quarter, we spent most of halftime trying to cheer up our hosts with comments like, "You guys could come back..." and the like. I spent the whole second half holding in my glee. :)

One thing - Tommie gets way too much credit for "The Run." The Gators gave up on that play. That's pretty obvious. Yeah, he fought on and tore out of their grasp, but they were barely giving a half-hearted effort to bring him down. Florida's defense wasn't SO bad, nor was Tommie SO good, that he could break away from seven determined tacklers. It was just a case of a team being mentally and emotionally beaten, and Tommie and the Huskers at their peak.

Read the context of what I wrote, people. I never said Tommie Frazier wasn't good. It's ridiculous to gig my post if you're not reading it correctly. Sheesh.

Guys, knapplc has a valid point here. I can expand on it a little bit.

Yes, that run is probably one of the best plays in Cornhusker football history. And yes, a lot of what happened there had to do with Tommie being Tommie. But you also need to consider a couple of things.

1) That was the longest run Frazier had had all year up into that point. If that was "all him", why hadn't he done something as equally as impressive before that game? Don't read any more into that than what you have to. I'm just saying, that was a first for Tommie.

2) That score came when Nebraska was up 42-17 or something like that, giving Nebraska 49 points after the run. Does anybody really think Florida was trying their best at this point in the game? If you think so, you are severely mistaken. You try being down by 30+ points in one of the most important games of your life, and tell me how "motivated" you would be.

3) From the replays, you can tell a lot of the Florida players are going for the strip instead of the tackle. That also helped Tommie break free from some of those tackles.

So, I'm not saying that the run wasn't impressive or that I don't love to see it, because I do. I just think it's important to realize that came at a very vulnerable time for the Gators.

Good point, it was a great run, but Florida was severly beaten at that point and were going for the strip. Though it did not get the same attention that the Florida run did, I remember being amazed at Tommie's strength from a play earlier in the year vs. CU. In the 2nd Quarter Frazier was essentially blindsided by Greg Jones while dropping back to pass, Frazier managed to absorb the blow, pump fake, and get off a 35-yard pass down the sideline to Ahman Green. I still love watching that game, grew up in Colorado, so our victories over them were always a little extra special.