Killer Winter Workouts So Far...

ESPY

Just spoke to my cuz in Loomis, NE, and he recently talked with former Loomis standout & current Husker CB Lance Thorell about how the Huskers' winter workouts are going so far.

Thorell told my cuz they are being pushed harder than ever before (Lance is a Jr, so he's been through two season with Pelini, plus a redshirt with Callahan). During the first days of the workouts, Thorell said he's never seen so many guys puke b/c of the effort they're putting out. Guys at all levels are motivated, competitive and pushing themselves to the max.

I don't know about you, but this is what I like hear. Something tells me this 2010 team will be the most physical we've seen in quite some time.

Just spoke to my cuz in Loomis, NE, and he recently talked with former Loomis standout & current Husker CB Lance Thorell about how the Huskers' winter workouts are going so far.

Thorell told my cuz they are being pushed harder than ever before (Lance is a Jr, so he's been through two season with Pelini, plus a redshirt with Callahan). During the first days of the workouts, Thorell said he's never seen so many guys puke b/c of the effort they're putting out. Guys at all levels are motivated, competitive and pushing themselves to the max.

I don't know about you, but this is what I like hear. Something tells me this 2010 team will be the most physical we've seen in quite some time.

Love to hear that!!!

Love to hear that!!!

Cool story. Makes me think of how our defense seemed to never get tired last season too. That is awesome to hear!

If you looked at our defense last year, we just straight wore out opposing offenses at some points and really frustrated them with our physicality. And the scary thing is that our defense spent A LOT of time on the field this year, far too much in some games. I just really want to see this hard work ethic carry over into next season offensively. We need to be able to really wear down opposing defenses and stay healthy. Hopefully, this extra hard training will keep a pep in their step.

If you looked at our defense last year, we just straight wore out opposing offenses at some points and really frustrated them with our physicality. And the scary thing is that our defense spent A LOT of time on the field this year, far too much in some games. I just really want to see this hard work ethic carry over into next season offensively. We need to be able to really wear down opposing defenses and stay healthy. Hopefully, this extra hard training will keep a pep in their step.

:yeah A physical offense sustains its drives. A physical offense doesn't go 3-and-out. A physical offense does exactly what our Blackshirts did in '09 - wear down & shut down the opponent.

i got no problem with killer workouts as long as they don't end up killing some poor kid.

Our coaches and the standards of our S&C program won't allow for something of that disastrous nature to occur (knock on wood). My guess is that these winter workouts are partly resulting from what Bo & Watson learned from TO & Tenopir about how they had their teams train and practice & the importance they placed on developing the starters skills and those further down the depth chart.

i got no problem with killer workouts as long as they don't end up killing some poor kid.

We should be just fine in that regard.

I remember hearing many a report from college guys training with NFL players. By the time a training session was over, they would be extremely exhausted and puking. These were guys who thought they were in great shape, and they were getting winded training with a pro. That says a lot. I think our guys are maybe just training at a level they aren't used to, but not at a level they aren't capable of.

Our coaches and the standards of our S&C program won't allow for something of that disastrous nature to occur (knock on wood). My guess is that these winter workouts are partly resulting from what Bo & Watson learned from TO & Tenopir about how they had their teams train and practice & the importance they placed on developing the starters skills and those further down the depth chart.

I remember reading an article where Bo told Carl this will be the most physical spring ever. I think it was sometime after the Big XII championship game. Not sure if that was before or after the TO & Milt thing or not. I think after the CCG Bo realized that we needed to be more physical.