Killer Winter Workouts So Far...

ESPY

I think until our Offense finds it's true identity, our Defense needs to continue carrying the team. I think Bo knows that and is getting our players in shape for it.

...because he knows the offense won't find its identity till at least mid-season.

I'm excited that our 2 new DT's (Chase Rome and Jay Guy) and our new OT (Yoshi) are there in the thick of this. You better believe they are putting on muscle, gaining speed, and growing with the rest of this team. Some of the other boards have said RB Tray Robinson has put on 17 lbs of muscle thus far... he is reportedly 232lbs right now. Robinson Link

All excellent points! The work these guys are putting in should pay big dividends by the time all the rest of the new faces show up in the fall. Ahead of the game? I think so.

Charlie McBride shared some basic info. concerning their practices back in the day. LINK

HP: What was a typical practice day like?

CM: We were really structured. We had quite a few players. In those days I think we had 135 or 140 guys on scholarship plus we had walk-ons so we probably had about 170 guys on the team and we started out with our normal group work with stretching. Then we worked individually with our players. Team work followed. We were able to have four stations, an offensive run station, and an offensive pass station, a defensive run station and defensive pass station. We actually had four groups going at once. The defense would rotate with the defense and the offense with the offense. We'd go from pass to run stations and so forth. That took a big part of our practice time and it was pretty basic.

HP: What was it like working with Tom Osborne?

CM: It was great. Tom was probably as patient a guy as you'd ever meet and a guy that let all of us coach. He believed in his coaches – there were very few times when Tom would say a whole lot about how you were teaching. A couple of times he thought I ought to slow down a little bit. I got a little carried away once in a while when I was younger. I may have been a little over aggressive or something of that nature. Tom would never embarrass anybody whether it be a player or coach. A lot of coaches yell at their assistants during a game or at practice. You would never see that with Tom. If he had something to say to you, it would be after practice or in private. You respected him for that – he treated you like a real person and he was a guy that was interested in your family and he always saw to it that we had time with our families. In the long run, you just worked harder for him. You worked hard because that was your job but I think subconsciously probably everybody worked a little harder. Our staff was kind of interesting because we didn't all hang around together off the field. We were just good working partners. Milt Tenopir and I were probably the closest; he was the offensive line coach and I was the defensive line coach. So our kids were banging on each other all the time and we had a good relationship. I had a good relationship with the offensive linemen as well as Milt had a good relationship with the defensive linemen and it made it more fun because it just wasn't one-sided. Those are the things you enjoy in coaching, your relationship with the players. All the kids that played for Milt over the years were great people. We had fun together even when were getting after each other. At times it was tense but also at times it was a lot of fun.

HP: What was it like working with Tom Osborne?

CM: It was great. Tom was probably as patient a guy as you'd ever meet and a guy that let all of us coach. He believed in his coaches – there were very few times when Tom would say a whole lot about how you were teaching. A couple of times he thought I ought to slow down a little bit. I got a little carried away once in a while when I was younger. I may have been a little over aggressive or something of that nature. Tom would never embarrass anybody whether it be a player or coach. A lot of coaches yell at their assistants during a game or at practice. You would never see that with Tom. If he had something to say to you, it would be after practice or in private. You respected him for that – he treated you like a real person and he was a guy that was interested in your family and he always saw to it that we had time with our families. In the long run, you just worked harder for him. You worked hard because that was your job but I think subconsciously probably everybody worked a little harder. Our staff was kind of interesting because we didn't all hang around together off the field. We were just good working partners. Milt Tenopir and I were probably the closest; he was the offensive line coach and I was the defensive line coach. So our kids were banging on each other all the time and we had a good relationship. I had a good relationship with the offensive linemen as well as Milt had a good relationship with the defensive linemen and it made it more fun because it just wasn't one-sided. Those are the things you enjoy in coaching, your relationship with the players. All the kids that played for Milt over the years were great people. We had fun together even when were getting after each other. At times it was tense but also at times it was a lot of fun.

Gotta be honest here, this makes me long for the good ol' days when loyalty, respect & honor were so highly valued. It's amazing to think how long this coaching staff hung together. I don't care who you are or what you think about Nebraska, that deserves every bit of respect you might have for collegiate athletics.

I'm excited that our 2 new DT's (Chase Rome and Jay Guy) and our new OT (Yoshi) are there in the thick of this. You better believe they are putting on muscle, gaining speed, and growing with the rest of this team. Some of the other boards have said RB Tray Robinson has put on 17 lbs of muscle thus far... he is reportedly 232lbs right now. Robinson Link

17 lbs of muscle? That's impressive. They're obviously doing something right. I agree that it's a huge leg up on the competition to be present during these winter workouts.

I think until our Offense finds it's true identity, our Defense needs to continue carrying the team. I think Bo knows that and is getting our players in shape for it.

...because he knows the offense won't find its identity till at least mid-season.

Not necessarily true. If the Offensive line could dominate and wear out a defense coming into the season, I think our offense would produce and find itself right away. Last year it was obvious that they were getting their tails handed to them on the line. I have never seen so many offensive linemen on a Nebraska team on their butts so often. We need to get the offensive line back to where defenses take the attitude they are beaten even before the game starts, like our defense did to offenses we faced last season. Once we win the mental game, we will win the physical game.

Look back at some of our best offenses and our offensive linemen were dominating the line. You also heard from other teams about our size, strength, and conditioning on the offensive line. The offensive line used to be the strong point of any good Nebraska team...and I dare say that the Heisman winners that we have had over the years at Nebraska would tell you that the line, their conditioning, and dominance was in large part a reason for their success at Nebraska.

Sadly, that's probably true.

But maybe if they're in better shape we'll get more than five or six 1st downs a game.

232lbs is impressive and explosive. If Robinson is pushing himself that hard you know Rex is pushing his workouts to the extreme. I hope all these guys can stay healthy and be ready to roll come fall.

Well, without having seen the guy or talk to Rex since season's end, there's no guarantee he's pushing himself if Tray is working so hard. I'm sure Rex is working just as hard as any other player, and obviously he'll have an important role moving forward. If nothing else, the reports about Tray's great winter workouts are proving we have a deep, hard-working corps of RBs, and that's exactly what we need.

In '08 we had the great 1-2 punch of Helu and Castille. But, in 2010 it looks like we'll have a formidable 1-2-3 punch of Helu, Rex & Tray in our backfield. It's no wonder Watson said we'll have a running team that passes next year. Get that O-line in shape to open holes for these backs, and we should have one of the conference's best running attacks, just as Bo wants.