What are you reading right now?

Are you reading the Bible in the order it's laid out, or historical order? I didn't realize, for whatever reason, that the Bible isn't laid out in chronological order until doing a cover-to-cover Bible study a few years ago.

Yea, there is a Chronological Bible that has been published. Makes that task a bit easier. But I think both version start the same!! In the Beginning ....

As my norm, I have several books going at one time. Here is my current list.

This is more of a history of Patton's role and leadership in WW2 - not a whole lot on his actual death. So the title is misleading but it is an excellent read on Patton.

Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II's Most Audacious General H

http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Patton-Strange-Audacious-General/dp/080509668X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422914375&sr=1-1&keywords=killing+patton+by+bill+o%27reilly

Very interesting story of the Bridge that had to be secured during the early morning of D-Day. Stephen Ambrose - the great WW2 historian

Pegasus Bridge: June 6, 1944

http://www.amazon.com/Pegasus-Bridge-June-6-1944/dp/0671671561/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422913089&sr=1-1&keywords=pegasus+bridge

This book is generally a history of politics in the 1960s and 70s. If you grew up in that era it is a very good review of many of the issues - from hippies, Vietnam, civil rights, the elections, The Great Society, Nixion's rise and fall, and Jimmy Carter's failed presidency. This is the 1st of 2 books. The 2nd Age of Reagan covers his election and presidency.

The Age of Reagan: The Fall of the Old Liberal Order: 1964-1980 Paperback – June 9, 2009
by Steven F. Hayward (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Age-Reagan-Liberal-Order-1964-1980/dp/0307453693/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422913449&sr=1-2&keywords=age+of+reagan

This book, by a leading Christian philosopher, speaks of the reasonableness of the Christian faith. Good book for both believers and non-believers/seekers. He uses primarily philosophical arguments to 'defend the faith' and not Biblical arguments (which some believe to be circular - using the Bible to defend itself. One needs to look at the Bible however, as a collection of historical writings written by a number of historian types or eye witnesses all combined into one book. Like taking many WW2 books by historians and eye witness accounts and placing them under one cover) . The author has a more extensive book called "Reasonable Faith" which I have yet to get to. It goes into greater detail.

Are you reading the Bible in the order it's laid out, or historical order? I didn't realize, for whatever reason, that the Bible isn't laid out in chronological order until doing a cover-to-cover Bible study a few years ago.

Funny you should mention that. I actually did rejigger the sequence a bit so it would be closer to chron order. I moved Job up behind Judges (since Job is a very old book, and could be read anywhere). I moved Ezra, Nehemiah and Esther out towards the end of the Old Testament. And I read 1st Kings, 1st Chron, 2nd Kings, 2nd Chron since these books more or less mirror each other. I'm also reading Psalms and Proverbs piecemeal, a couple chapters at a time as I go through the Old Testament. Right now I'm about 2/3s of the way through the major prophets, in Ezekial. But my goal isn't simply to read the bible cover to coverlike some sort of task I'm trying to check off a list. I'm taking my time, trying to understand things as I make my way through. Seems like I do a fair amount of re-reading since I'll often find myself at the end of a chapter and not recall what it was about. :lol:

Funny you should mention that. I actually did rejigger the sequence a bit so it would be closer to chron order. I moved Job up behind Judges (since Job is a very old book, and could be read anywhere). I moved Ezra, Nehemiah and Esther out towards the end of the Old Testament. And I read 1st Kings, 1st Chron, 2nd Kings, 2nd Chron since these books more or less mirror each other. I'm also reading Psalms and Proverbs piecemeal, a couple chapters at a time as I go through the Old Testament. Right now I'm about 2/3s of the way through the major prophets, in Ezekial. But my goal isn't simply to read the bible cover to coverlike some sort of task I'm trying to check off a list. I'm taking my time, trying to understand things as I make my way through. Seems like I do a fair amount of re-reading since I'll often find myself at the end of a chapter and not recall what it was about. :lol:

I credit my in-depth reading of the Bible (and a couple of years to think about what I'd read and put it in context) with my current views on religion. It'll be interesting to see if you see things differently as you move on.

I credit my in-depth reading of the Bible (and a couple of years to think about what I'd read and put it in context) with my current views on religion. It'll be interesting to see if you see things differently as you move on.

Ha ha! I don't think my view will change. My background differs from yours. Namely, this experience: LINK

That really did happen, btw. It removed any doubt.

Anybody have an favorite American Revolution books?

Yes a couple of great ones:

My wife always wonders why I read so many history books (forgetting that I was an American History major in college - easy to forget since I'm not a history teacher). I tell her that a nicely written history book is like a novel - but even better - it is true. You find yourself in the story - standing on a hilltop watching history parade in front of you. So, this is so very true of my 1st 2 books listed below. Both could pass as novels in the way they were written (gets you wrapped up into the story) except they are true. You feel the dangers Washington felt at so many points in the narrative. The 3rd book in more 'just history' but still excellent.

This is an excellent read and gives a very good picture of that 1st year of war and all of the challenges. So many reasons we still should be British citizens but somehow, (Providence??) Washington and gang overcame, survived and won. - Great story telling

http://www.amazon.com/1776-David-McCullough/dp/0743226720/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423174035&sr=8-1&keywords=1776

1776 Paperback – June 27, 2006

by David McCullough

This is an outstanding book. When you are done, you feel like you were there.

"We know the race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong. Do you not think that an Angel rides in the Wirlwind and directs this Storm" John Paige to Thomas Jefferson July 20, 1976

Angel in Whirlwind_The Triumph of the American Revolution Hardcover – 1997
by by_BBobrick (Author)
This one takes a broader picture - looking at attentional years prior to and after the Revolution - thus setting the table and clearing it afterwards. It is a part of the Oxford History of the USA - which I highly recommend. All excellent books written by different historians - each covering a certain date range - from 1620 to 2000.
The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789 (Oxford History of the United States) Paperback – March 9, 2007
by Robert Middlekauff (Author)