Seating Capacity

The only reasonable thing to do is add to the east, however itll be a challenge because if you want to add club seats your capacity is actually going to diminish since the seats take up more room. The south end there is nothing you can do especially with the technology and science classes that are in the old offices, an interesting idea i had for the east and some may not like it would be keeping what we have now making the top tier all club then adding a third balcony with what others on here have already said an exterior unit supporting the third balcony. Within the unit have a nice mix of the exterior walls looking like the east side but also incorporating the dome that is on that east side. One thing to consider is the room you have to build on that side though. Itll take away the tailgating area, probably have to relocate the sculpture and also the area between the northeast side and the track fence is not very wide so itll be a bit of work to fit all that in.

The only reasonable thing to do is add to the east, however itll be a challenge because if you want to add club seats your capacity is actually going to diminish since the seats take up more room. The south end there is nothing you can do especially with the technology and science classes that are in the old offices, an interesting idea i had for the east and some may not like it would be keeping what we have now making the top tier all club then adding a third balcony with what others on here have already said an exterior unit supporting the third balcony. Within the unit have a nice mix of the exterior walls looking like the east side but also incorporating the dome that is on that east side. One thing to consider is the room you have to build on that side though. Itll take away the tailgating area, probably have to relocate the sculpture and also the area between the northeast side and the track fence is not very wide so itll be a bit of work to fit all that in.

Picture%2010.jpg

I agree that the only logical decision to add on is the east stadium. It desperately needs renovated from what I've heard. I've been to several games, but surprisingly only seen the outside of the east stadium, looks very rundown, but cool at the same time. I think they will obviously add on to this area eventually with several skyboxes on top of the addition.

Whatever the capacity the University needs to invest in a makeover so we can finally have some realistic seating size.. and another thing, how about some seat backs.. Tell me the dough they rake in they can't revamp the seating to make the greatest college football fans on earth a little more comfortable!

I'm a bit confused. You guys want the East/West sides to mirror each other, but if we did that they would hardly add any new seats at all, since the only difference between the two (as far as I can see) is the press boxes?

I think they mean seats to the same height as the West side to create an identical facade on the outside, so instead of press boxes, just more seats.

Does 10,000 seats directly translate into 10,000 more tickets sold? If so, I think it be irresponsible to not look at an expansion eventually. 2009 season ticket price was $378. Add in the concessions and you might be talking $4 million extra a year. Without donations, the economics of adding on might not make sense, but I think you also have to make donations to get season tickets. Anyone know what the last expansion cost? I am assuming just the seats would cost less.

I've heard scuttlebutt about doing a renovation on the East Stadium similar to what they did with the West a few years back, but without the extra press and office facilities, of course. Word was that this isn't a priority, and for certain won't happen under Osborne. My guess is if we continue to have success under Pelini, the next AD may make that his signature deal.

Problem is that it's been said for ever that they will have a very difficult task in doing that.

East Stadium's current foundation isn't strong enough to hold skyboxes so to add skyboxes in East Stadium you have to completely demolish the entire East structure and rebuild from the foundation up because you have to get more stable footing. However East Stadium is a state landmark and thus isn't actually allowed to be torn down.

The best option for expansion is to do something in the south endzone, similar to what they did in the North atop the Schorr Center. That would add about 7,000 seats (or more depending on how much weight the new center can hold and how close it would come to Avery Hall) to the stadium and if they add a second video board on top of the skyboxes on the South side it will improve the desirability of the North Stadium seats.

East Stadium's current foundation isn't strong enough to hold skyboxes so to add skyboxes in East Stadium you have to completely demolish the entire East structure and rebuild from the foundation up because you have to get more stable footing. However East Stadium is a state landmark and thus isn't actually allowed to be torn down.

I've heard people say this but I've never seen where it's actually registered as a historic landmark. I've googled and googled and I can't find it. If this is true (and I'm not saying it's not) you'd think it would be easier to find info on it. Is there a plaque on the stadium or something?

The best option for expansion is to do something in the south endzone, similar to what they did in the North atop the Schorr Center. That would add about 7,000 seats (or more depending on how much weight the new center can hold and how close it would come to Avery Hall) to the stadium and if they add a second video board on top of the skyboxes on the South side it will improve the desirability of the North Stadium seats.

They would lose seating if they did that to the South stadium.

I would like to know how they fit more people into Memorial Stadium than the capacity. If my sources are right, the capacity is 81,067. The sellout record is 86,304. I wouldn't see a risk with the sellout record if we expanded to 90,000. But i don't think we will talks or even expansion until around 2015 - 2020.

The east side of the stadium would be able to accommodate 8,000 - 9,000 more people, right?

I'm kind of interested as well to know where they get all those extra people in there. Maybe they count extra people in skyboxes or on the sidelines? :dunno

As for the stadium itself, the only logical addition would be the East side of the Stadium, but adding 8,000-9,000 seats is quite a hefty order, considering they only added 6,000 into the North endzone. It'd be 33% more seats than what was added in 2004.

The extra numbers counted come from, the sidelines, sky boxes, and the club seating on the field corners.