At practice on Saturday

cmon guys, stop reading just what you want for the sake of argument!

the people that are saying that martinez has looked better in practice are saying so because EVERY PRACTICE REPORT THAT HAS BEEN POSTED ON ANY SITE HAS SAID THAT MARTINEZ IS THE BETTER QB!!! these have mostly been high school coaches etc that are saying that! it doesnt matter who was recruited by who or how highly they were ranked (nether were all that high really.), it matters who is the better player for our offense. i know that i have read practice reports from 3+ different days and each one of them said that Martinez has been the best qb in spring ball. frankly if that is the case that he has had 3+ "off days" out of roughly 10 practices then he is not the Qb of the future because there is a very good chance that he would blow more than 1 game.

simply put: if green could learn to throw with ANY consistency he would be a prototypical qb and he would definitely be the starter come fall but as of now, he has not done what is necessary to become a good qb. his age is only as excuse, last season we didnt exactly run a complex WCO so its not like he had to or has to learn a lot to be successful.

The best guy will win the backup or hell maybe even the starting job, according to my former high school coach as well as ALL of the reports coming out of practices so far it has been Taylor Martinez in the lead with Cody Green a relatively distant second.

bottom line: we will see for ourselves in just 3 days.

OK, I hate to be a stickler, but I haven't seen any official practice reports that have said Martinez is "the best qb". I've seen reports praising his ability, but no coach would admit that one player was ahead of the other right now, especially in the quarterback race. Player accounts and people who have been to practices are different. But I haven't seen any reports from LJS, OWH, or HI that say Martinez is the best.

correct, there havent been and there wont be because as you said they wouldnt throw their own players under the bus. however, we have seen more than a few practice reports from high school coaches etc saying that martinez is the one that really stood out for whatever reason. i just read a new one from yet another day of practice that said that martinez stood out from the rest and that he "can fly and has a very good arm", whereas that same report said, "Also, the coaches are trying to improve Green's release. He still has a tendency sometimes to wind up before he passes."

all i am saying is that the general theme of the spring so far has been that people observing practice are saying that martinez are the better of the two leading qbs while lee is out. i think you can kind of see that because martinez is reportedly now getting equal reps to green while the other qbs on the roster are getting mop up duty. that says to me that martinez is improving at a much more rapid pace than green as he was asked to redshirt last season while green played and now they appear to be at least equals...

This thread is a classic example of why Bo doesn't want to release a depth chart. Fans will take the tiniest amount of information and draw wide-sweeping conclusions based largely on supposition. Even after the spring game we won't really have that good of an idea which QB will emerge come fall.

The list of college quarterbacks who weren't accomplished passers, yet who were still successful, is quite long. Again, I don't care if Green can't pass - if he can run the Zone Read, we'll kill people with a decent O Line and Green/Burkhead.

I will continue, I suppose, to be a downer here, but... Cody Green has not shown much as a runner either. He runs straight up and down, does not follow his blockers, tends to fall into contact rather than explode into contact, and has shown little to no ability to cut, slice or in any way find a hole that is not there. He did have one nice run --- where he had a gaping hole and was able to do a sprint --- and he is fast and straight-line quick. That said, he has not shown the ability (yet?) to run in traffic, create, make people miss or break tackles. At this juncture, while we cannot yet throw in the towel on the kid.... he has not shown proficiency as a passer, as a runner, or in terms of decision making in any context. Every eyewitness report, as far as I can tell, without exception, has indicated the same thing... he is really struggling and no signs of excellence have been seen.

Stranger things have happened, I suppose, but unless there is a huge, huge epiphany of some sort and CG blossoms into 3 times the player he is currently, then along with an earlier poster.... I'd doubt that CG will play any significant role as a QB in the immediate (or even extended) future.

• Fire 1

From what I have seen in games last year: Green looked better in his full game against Baylor than Zac Lee did after the first three games. He looked better against Texas Tech than Zac did against Tech... The Oklahoma game, it seemed to me like the play calling was just setting him up to fail, so I disregard that.. Also, it seems he has that QB luck that comes along every once in awhile, like when he makes mistakes bad things don't typically happen (this point is next to irrelevant)>

I will withhold any doom and gloom judgement against Cody Green until I see him playing more.

• Fire 1
From what I have seen in games last year: Green looked better in his full game against Baylor than Zac Lee did after the first three games. He looked better against Texas Tech than Zac did against Tech...

I must have not been watching the same Baylor game that you were because the kid showed nothing in that game. As far as Texas Tech goes he finished below 7-16-1TD-1Int-87 yards, besides the nice TD throw he showed nothing in that game either. <_<

If people went back and watched any of his footage from last year without their “GREEN” goggles on they would realize he did nothing spectacular when he was given the chance to play, besides a nice throw in a meaningless 4th qtr against Texas Tech and a nice run in a meaningless 4th qtr against Florida Atlantic.

I hope this kid turns out, I really do. That being said if he doesn’t and Taylor Martinez ends up being the man then I won’t lose any sleep over it. Some people seem to have a lot invested in the hope of Cody Green being the man and if you ask me that is pretty weird and a view point that I will never understand. :dunno

From what I have seen in games last year: Green looked better in his full game against Baylor than Zac Lee did after the first three games. He looked better against Texas Tech than Zac did against Tech...

I must have not been watching the same Baylor game that you were because the kid showed nothing in that game. As far as Texas Tech goes he finished below 7-16-1TD-1Int-87 yards, besides the nice TD throw he showed nothing in that game either. <_<

If people went back and watched any of his footage from last year without their “GREEN” goggles on they would realize he did nothing spectacular when he was given the chance to play, besides a nice throw in a meaningless 4th qtr against Texas Tech and a nice run in a meaningless 4th qtr against Florida Atlantic.

I hope this kid turns out, I really do. That being said if he doesn’t and Taylor Martinez ends up being the man then I won’t lose any sleep over it. Some people seem to have a lot invested in the hope of Cody Green being the man and if you ask me that is pretty weird and a view point that I will never understand. :dunno

i agree with what you are saying in regards to people having a vested interest in a particular qb (this is worse than primary season in iowa), but just as i don't think anyone should have too much faith in any one qb, i don't think they should have as much doubt. i don't think you can just green at all, for better or worse, from his production last year. the who FAU game was meaningless, Texas Tech was over, and then what, 1st and 10 on NU's five against OU? just has hyping a qb is unfair, bashing a qb is equally unfair.

just has hyping a qb is unfair, bashing a qb is equally unfair.

This has been my theme throughout this thread. I know the only thing we have to go by is 2009, but the offense as a whole was so dysfunctional that I don't see how anyone can draw solid conclusions about anyone.

I'll go into the Spring Game with an open mind, and dispassionately judge each QB on their merits, not on their name or stars or whatnot.

I did not say that he looked good. I said he looked better than Lee... I want whoever is the best QB to be on the field, if that's Taylor, great.. My only point was that from my perspective Green looked better than Lee last season... That is not saying much..

just has hyping a qb is unfair, bashing a qb is equally unfair.

This has been my theme throughout this thread. I know the only thing we have to go by is 2009, but the offense as a whole was so dysfunctional that I don't see how anyone can draw solid conclusions about anyone.

I'll go into the Spring Game with an open mind, and dispassionately judge each QB on their merits, not on their name or stars or whatnot.

and i look forward to the report. the spring game will at least let the qb's display their fundamentals.

I did not say that he looked good. I said he looked better than Lee... I want whoever is the best QB to be on the field, if that's Taylor, great.. My only point was that from my perspective Green looked better than Lee last season... That is not saying much..

i think you must have had some kind of green tint over your tv screen. i saw a team that wasnt moving with either zac lee OR cody green. a few good plays from a qb that the other team didnt practice to defend does not mean a whole hell of a lot...

In response to the OP, I listened to the "Husker Radio Show" or "Husker Beat" on 1620 the Zone last night, which features Mike'l Severe and Steve Sipple. Pretty much everything that was said in the OP is exactly opposite of what they reported last night, FYI.

I guess I'll wait until the WKU game before I know who's playing, and who's good, etc.