Larry Asante

Larry Asante's draft wait is over. The Cleveland Browns have just taken the former Husker safety with the 29th pick in the fifth round (160th overall).

Asante is the first Husker safety to be drafted since 2006 when Daniel Bullocks was selected by the Detroit Lions in the second round.

There's a possibility Asante could be the last Husker taken in this year's draft. But Asante's safety cohort of the past two seasons, Matt O'Hanlon, stands likely to get an opportunity somewhere through either a late draft pick or free agency.

"I'm sure my agent right now has a list of the best situations I could be put in if I were not to be drafted," O'Hanlon said. "So there will be a lot of choices. I think the only difference between a sixth-and seventh-round pick is the signing bonus. A team won't hesitate really to cut a sixth- or seven-rounder, so there's not really much difference the way they look at it (in evaluating players). Money-wise there is a little difference."

LINK

Anyone else notice that Asante when about 50 spots higher than Myron Rolle? Seems like announcers were always fawning all over Rolle every time the Fla St defense was on the field.

The fact that Myron Rolle took a year off of football and went to Oxford as a Rhodes scholar probably didn't help him. chuckleshuffle

Anyone else notice that Asante when about 50 spots higher than Myron Rolle? Seems like announcers were always fawning all over Rolle every time the Fla St defense was on the field.

The fact that Myron Rolle took a year off of football and went to Oxford as a Rhodes scholar probably didn't help him. chuckleshuffle

Seems like that would be a good thing. But who knows.

Rolle did it right, and I commend the guy for taking the Rhodes scholarship before the millions he could have made in football. The guy has his priorities straight as a Student Athlete. From all accounts he's a pretty good kid, and for darned sure intelligent.

• Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Larry Asante