Big 10 expansion talk heating up

There is no way that Iowa would leave the Big 10 - the biggest being academic reasons. The problem with the Big 12 as far as TV contracts is the sheer lack of population in the Big 12 footprint. Add on to that the fact that Texas comprises half of the Big 12 population and that they just want to start their own Texas network rather than share their population base with the rest of the Big 12 and it just isn't possible. Even with Texas on board for a B12 network now it would be too little too late. TCU and CSU could be added to the B12 in a heartbeat - but that still doesn't help the population problem as neither adds anything new in that respect.

True and not true. Mostly true, though.

Everyone keeps looking simply at population bases, and that's not the only factor. Nebraska is the best example of this, as our TV ratings consistently outpace expectations based on population. Population footprint is definitely something to take into consideration, but it's not the only factor.

There is no way that Iowa would leave the Big 10 - the biggest being academic reasons. The problem with the Big 12 as far as TV contracts is the sheer lack of population in the Big 12 footprint. Add on to that the fact that Texas comprises half of the Big 12 population and that they just want to start their own Texas network rather than share their population base with the rest of the Big 12 and it just isn't possible. Even with Texas on board for a B12 network now it would be too little too late. TCU and CSU could be added to the B12 in a heartbeat - but that still doesn't help the population problem as neither adds anything new in that respect.

True and not true. Mostly true, though.

Everyone keeps looking simply at population bases, and that's not the only factor. Nebraska is the best example of this, as our TV ratings consistently outpace expectations based on population. Population footprint is definitely something to take into consideration, but it's not the only factor.

It isn't the only factor once the network is up and running no. But until the network is up and running and showing what kinds of viewership numbers it can draw, all of the initial money will be due to subscriber fees and that is directly tied to population in your home markets. Based on the Big 10 example, a majority of your subsciber fees will come from home market states and out of market rates/ad revenue will take several years to develop. Thus your early profits from a league network in the Big 12 will be signifcantly lower due to having the smallest home market of any major conference. In time, yes you might end up with a network that could rival others but the problem is that unless the Big 10 decides to become a laughingstock and do nothing you probably don't have that time anymore. And since Texas has shown a complete reluctance to do anything like a Big 12 network anyway due to wanting their own network to keep all the money themselves there isn't really a lot of option for the Big 12.

eta: That is the biggest reason why Nebraska is such a good get for the Big 10. They have already gone through the initial growing pains and are already onto the network ratings stage of the network.

This is just informational cuz I'm bored.

Nebraska's record versus current Big 10 teams and possible expansions teams that have been mentioned the most.

Illinois 7-2-1

Indiana 7-9-3

Iowa 26-12-2

Michigan 2-3-1

Mich St 5-0-0

Minnesota 20-29-2

Missouri 64-36-3

N'western 3-1-0

Notre Dame 8-7-1

Ohio St 0-2-0

Penn St 6-7-0

Pitt 6-15-3

Purdue 0-1-0

Rutgers 1-0-0

Syracuse 5-7-0

Wisconsin 3-2-0

• Fire 2

Nebraska's record versus current Big 10 teams and possible expansions teams that have been mentioned the most.

Illinois 7-2-1

Indiana 7-9-3

Iowa 26-12-2

Michigan 2-3-1

Mich St 5-0-0

Minnesota 20-29-2

Missouri 64-36-3

N'western 3-1-0

Notre Dame 8-7-1

Ohio St 0-2-0

Penn St 6-7-0

Pitt 6-15-3

Purdue 0-1-0

Rutgers 1-0-0

Syracuse 5-7-0

Wisconsin 3-2-0

Good find GSG I did not realize our record was so bad against some of those teams. It would be nice to play them each year and get winning record against some of those teams.

I really hope this expansion happens and you guys come to the Big Ten. I would love to see Nebraska in the Big House and Michigan at Lincoln. In a perfect world in my mind the Big "Ten" gets Nebraska, Mizzou, Notre Dame, Syracuse. Once they get four they'll most likely opt for Pitt which would be great to see the Penn State vs Pitt rivalry get reignited.

Do you guys out in Huskerland get the Big Ten Network? It's pretty nice and it would be interesting to see some new teams get on there with some classic games from their past season. Because quite frankly, I'm effing tired of seeing re-runs of teams spring games because of the lack of new ideas on BTN

I really hope this expansion happens and you guys come to the Big Ten. I would love to see Nebraska in the Big House and Michigan at Lincoln. In a perfect world in my mind the Big "Ten" gets Nebraska, Mizzou, Notre Dame, Syracuse. Once they get four they'll most likely opt for Pitt which would be great to see the Penn State vs Pitt rivalry get reignited.

Do you guys out in Huskerland get the Big Ten Network? It's pretty nice and it would be interesting to see some new teams get on there with some classic games from their past season. Because quite frankly, I'm effing tired of seeing re-runs of teams spring games because of the lack of new ideas on BTN

I think Cox Cable in Omaha and all satellite subscribers get BTN here.

the big ten would almost have a monopoly on traditional powerhouses. the type of teams i like to see on top of the polls, rather than pac 10 and acc teams.

I hope not. This would be pretty bad for our Texas recruiting.

i dont believe so. Does it hurt your west coast recruiting now that you dont play in the pac 10? or how about your south and southeastern state recruiting because you dont play in the SEC. The truth is the reason there are so few players from TX in the big 10 is because they dont really recruit Texas. yeah they go after some top players but the big 10 schools are in their own fertile recruiting grounds. Michigan, Ohio, Penns. They dont need texas. If say MU or NE or both make that move. What happens if you still recruit the hell outta Texas?? I would bet you would still get a number of good players. Mu hasnt gotten more and better TX players over the past 5 years because they just joined the big12. They get them because they have developed relationships with HC's accross the state, spent the time and money in the state, and they have been winning. IMO, it would only change for NE (or MU) if they chose to change the way they do things.

I does hurt, though. Just becasue Nebraska ges taent frm everywhere doesn't mean they are ettin the maximum amount. I heard from the main moderator on rivals for KU that a big Texas recruit is already freaking out over this. Does that ean no Texas ids will coe anymore, no... But it cannot with some of the Texas kids when your team never plys close to their homes.

i dont believe so. Does it hurt your west coast recruiting now that you dont play in the pac 10? or how about your south and southeastern state recruiting because you dont play in the SEC. The truth is the reason there are so few players from TX in the big 10 is because they dont really recruit Texas. yeah they go after some top players but the big 10 schools are in their own fertile recruiting grounds. Michigan, Ohio, Penns. They dont need texas. If say MU or NE or both make that move. What happens if you still recruit the hell outta Texas?? I would bet you would still get a number of good players. Mu hasnt gotten more and better TX players over the past 5 years because they just joined the big12. They get them because they have developed relationships with HC's accross the state, spent the time and money in the state, and they have been winning. IMO, it would only change for NE (or MU) if they chose to change the way they do things.

I does hurt, though. Just becasue Nebraska ges taent frm everywhere doesn't mean they are ettin the maximum amount. I heard from the main moderator on rivals for KU that a big Texas recruit is already freaking out over this. Does that ean no Texas ids will coe anymore, no... But it cannot with some of the Texas kids when your team never plys close to their homes.

jayhawk, i'm guessing by your sig that you are team edward?

I looked that up in the urban dictionary and it appears to be a Twilight reference. I am sorry, but I am old and don't get it. The Urban Dictionary says I like vampires more than werewolves... I am not sure I have an avid opinion between the two...

I looked that up in the urban dictionary and it appears to be a Twilight reference. I am sorry, but I am old and don't get it. The Urban Dictionary says I like vampires more than werewolves... I am not sure I have an avid opinion between the two...

edward sparkles, he is a sparkling virgin vampire. your sig sparkles. also, i only know this because of burger king commercials and verydemotivational.com. i really don't know anymore about the whole twilight thing beyond that.

edward sparkles, he is a sparkling virgin vampire. your sig sparkles. also, i only know this because of burger king commercials and verydemotivational.com. i really don't know anymore about the whole twilight thing beyond that.

remember when vampires were scary?

remember when vampires were scary?

hardly. i just know of count chocula, the count from sesame street, and now edward.

Illinois 7-2-1

Indiana 7-9-3

Iowa 26-12-2

Michigan 2-3-1

Mich St 5-0-0

Minnesota 20-29-2

Missouri 64-36-3

N'western 3-1-0

Notre Dame 8-7-1

Ohio St 0-2-0

Penn St 6-7-0

Pitt 6-15-3

Purdue 0-1-0

Rutgers 1-0-0

Syracuse 5-7-0

Wisconsin 3-2-0

+1

Good find but most of those games were played before Bob Devaney when Nebraska was going thru several different coaches. Heres a link to all of the other Coaches that we've gone thru and what their records were. I'll start a new record's list starting with the Devaney era because thats when Nebraska Football started.

Illinois - 2-0-0

Indiana - 4-0-0

Iowa - 5-1-0

Michigan - 2-1-0

Michigan State - 3-0-0

Minnesota - 14-0-0

Mizzou - 36-12-0

Northwestern - 2-0-0

Notre Dame - 3-0-0

Ohio State - 0-0-0 (we've only played them twice in the years of 1955 and 1956)

Penn State - 4-3-0

Pitt - 2-0-0

Purdue - 0-0-0 (only played once in 1958)

Rutgers - 0-0-0 (only played once in 1920)

Syracuse - 1-1-0

Wisconsin - 3-1-0