Big 10 expansion talk heating up

I guess u fail to realize that Texas on their alum alone, has like ten of the wealthiest people in the US. The only reason we are losing revenue, is because were not jumping on like, a Big 12 network or playing games in other regions, since we have fallen off for awhile, Nebraska has lost a little luster.

No . . . you don't quite understand. The Big 12 could form a network exactly like the Big Ten Network but that network would be sold to far fewer homes than the Big Ten Network just because of the population disparity. I'm trying to make this as clear as possible . . . but you just don't seem to grasp what I'm saying.

Wealthy donors have nothing to do with this. This is about numbers of TV subscribers. That's why they might be more interested in MU than NU . . . because Missouri has far more potential subscribers than Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Michigan and Ohio State not playing every year. Never going to happen.

Missouri throwing away the Kansas game is not going to happen is my guess.

I think we see the 16 team conference, but there will be tie in games with past rivals is my guess.

Oklahoma seems to be the loser in all of the talk.

Texas and A&M to the SEC, Colorado to the Pac10.

I just dont see 16 team conference forming. I know its all about $$$$$$$$$$$, at least on Nebraska's side you go to look at the expense of sending non revenue sports to places like Penn State, Rutgers, Pitt to compete. I guess That is something the AD department has or will look into.

If Nebraska does join the Big Ten. I will be on the phone the same day trying to get the big ten network.

If they get four 16 team conferences it makes the play off scenario closer to reality is my thinking.

I just do not see them ending any of the major rivalry games.

It would give Nebraska a chance to have a rival it seems.

A lot of history and tradition with Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. There is no love lost between us and Penn State as it is.

I think the money the Big 10-16 would bring in would more than pay for the non money making sports, upgrades and new sky boxes.

Nebraska does not have the numbers in population, but we have become or were a National product. That is what will get us in the door I think. We have good curb appeal.

But I think the Big 10 gets a bad wrap on being slow and plodding. Their schedules are brutal as each team builds to beat their rival, taking that continous beating week in and out may be the reason. Plus they seemed to turn it around some last year. I do not see a cake walk for us there by any means.

But as others have said, do not let the ship sale, standing basically alone will not be good for Nebraska.

The following comes from Steve Deace who is a Radio personality on 1040 WHO and also hosts a sports talk show on 1460 KXNO out of Des Moines. TIFWI

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/football/9704-big-ten-expansion-update.html

Bruce Feldman of ESPN on KOMC has said that Missouri to the B10 is pretty much done.

Tom Dienhart of Rivals.com Tweeted the following:

"Big Ten expansion buzz has league adding Mizzou, Nebraska, Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse and splitting into four, four-team divisions. "

Then tweeted the break down:

1 Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Penn State

2 Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Minnesota

3 Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois/Northwestern

4 Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois/Northwestern

On a side note did anyone feel the hate for Nebraska on that Iowa message board? <_< Yeah me neither. What happened to the unseated hatred of Nebraska that people claim. Apparently no one told them. They seemed to care more about losing Minny and Wisc yearly game more then anything.

I thought this was alittle interseting.... from the Big 10 blog on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

BT expansion push fueled by internal faith

April, 29, 2010 Apr 2910:00AM ETComment Email Print Share By Adam RittenbergAny Big Ten expansion plan to the East Coast that doesn't include Notre Dame is bound to be questioned and, quite frankly, doubted.

Is Rutgers capable of bringing in the New York market? Could a combination of Rutgers, Syracuse and Connecticut corner New York, and bring in a sliver of Boston, too? Why isn't the Big Ten pursuing Boston College as well?

These questions are constantly popping up as the Big Ten continues its expansion study. But it's important to mention an element that seems to get overlooked.

The Big Ten might be able to succeed in any market because of the strength it already possesses.

In other words, who cares if Rutgers can bring in New York? The Big Ten can bring in New York by itself; Rutgers simply gives the league a reason to be more present in the market. You'd have Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State making regular trips to Piscataway, N.J. You'd have a reason to try to get the Big Ten Network on local cable providers in the New York area, which could be very lucrative for the entire league.

Rutgers or Syracuse or Connecticut or even Boston College are simply ways to get in the door. Sure, they would have to bring something to the table. Big Ten presidents aren't going to share their money with just anyone.

But if the Big Ten is confident enough in its existing product -- its teams, its network, its clout in college sports -- it might not care too much about how much the new additions really pull into the league. And all indications suggest the confidence is there, from Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany to the university presidents and on down the list.

David Jones summarizes it perfectly:

"The reason the Big Ten is now such a cash cow and so attractive is cable rights fees pouring in from [Jim] Delany's 2-year-old Big Ten Network -- to the tune of $66 million last fiscal year. The Big Ten is hardly interested in the game-to-game ratings Rutgers or Syracuse would bring -- which, by the way, are historically comparable to several Big Ten schools. It's the new cable footprint and prospect of a deal with NYC metro provider Cablevision, one similar to the pact arduously hacked out by the BTN with Time-Warner in the Midwest and Comcast in Pennsylvania. That's where the big money is these days in TV sports.

Besides Notre Dame or Texas, no addition to the Big Ten truly moves the needle on its own. But if the Big Ten brand is as strong as it appears to be, it might not matter.

The 4 team division sounds interesting. You could have 7 regular season conference games. (the 3 in your division and then a rotation of 1 from each of the other divisions plus a possible 'rivalry tie-in') The 8th conference game would be a semi-final of the division champions - seated by AP/BCS ranking or other formula. That would lead into the conference championship game. The other teams would play their 8th game based on the rankings, though outside of bowl implications they wouldn't have that great of importance as far as the conference goes.

Sounds like one hell of a way to end the season. If the Big10 is worried about the fact they are currently irrelevant post-thanksgiving...this would certainly put them on top. A mini playoff with the semi finals t-giving weekend, and the championship the first week of December. 2 automatic bids would allow both teams in the championship game a spot in the BCS post-season.

I hope not. This would be pretty bad for our Texas recruiting.

i dont believe so. Does it hurt your west coast recruiting now that you dont play in the pac 10? or how about your south and southeastern state recruiting because you dont play in the SEC. The truth is the reason there are so few players from TX in the big 10 is because they dont really recruit Texas. yeah they go after some top players but the big 10 schools are in their own fertile recruiting grounds. Michigan, Ohio, Penns. They dont need texas. If say MU or NE or both make that move. What happens if you still recruit the hell outta Texas?? I would bet you would still get a number of good players. Mu hasnt gotten more and better TX players over the past 5 years because they just joined the big12. They get them because they have developed relationships with HC's accross the state, spent the time and money in the state, and they have been winning. IMO, it would only change for NE (or MU) if they chose to change the way they do things.

I hope not. This would be pretty bad for our Texas recruiting.

Why? We recruit both Florida and California.

And how many people from either state do we actually pull out these days? We have about twice as many kids from Texas as from California on our roster currently. Texas, right now, is our surest bet for recruiting. It really does not hurt that families are able to see their kid play without going too far a couple times a year.

i dont believe so. Does it hurt your west coast recruiting now that you dont play in the pac 10? or how about your south and southeastern state recruiting because you dont play in the SEC. The truth is the reason there are so few players from TX in the big 10 is because they dont really recruit Texas. yeah they go after some top players but the big 10 schools are in their own fertile recruiting grounds. Michigan, Ohio, Penns. They dont need texas. If say MU or NE or both make that move. What happens if you still recruit the hell outta Texas?? I would bet you would still get a number of good players. Mu hasnt gotten more and better TX players over the past 5 years because they just joined the big12. They get them because they have developed relationships with HC's accross the state, spent the time and money in the state, and they have been winning. IMO, it would only change for NE (or MU) if they chose to change the way they do things.

I think Missouri's recruiting would be just fine should it move. I do not believe MU lives and dies by out of state recruiting the way NU does.

Just be careful what you guys wish for. As a state that's not saturated with local D1 talent, I'll take our chances with being 1/12 teams competing for a conference title instead of 1/16, should that happen. It's a lot farther from California to Happy Valley than it is to Austin, and much colder.