Yearly OKLAHOMA Game?

OU already has a couple rivalry games. The only reason anyone cared about NU-OU was that it was good football for a conference championship and a shot at the NC most times. We will develop new rivals, if we move to the Big 10. They will quickly become more important games than an out of conference OU could ever be. The new Big 10 would be smart to align in a way that could have us play PSU late in the year, where the winner would go up against the winner of OSU vs Mich for the CC. (Assuming ND doesn't join, and we are the top or close to the top 4 teams in the league.) :espnsucks:

OU already has a couple rivalry games. The only reason anyone cared about NU-OU was that it was good football for a conference championship and a shot at the NC most times. We will develop new rivals, if we move to the Big 10. They will quickly become more important games than an out of conference OU could ever be. The new Big 10 would be smart to align in a way that could have us play PSU late in the year, where the winner would go up against the winner of OSU vs Mich for the CC. (Assuming ND doesn't join, and we are the top or close to the top 4 teams in the league.) :espnsucks:

I like your points, however I think you are underestimating the tradition associated with this game. Every fan can get into this game just off the history of the two teams. Even if it is non conference and the Huskers are playing for a rose bowl birth I would asume the oranges will still fly.

Another thing to think about is that NU hasn't had multiple AQ OOC opponents in a couple of years. Since the OOC schedule is set for quite a while into the future, I don't see any of this happening. Maybe during the years that we play southern Miss, but who knows, Fedora could have them as a CUSA power in a few years. Nebraska isn't a program that has had done that sort of thing in recent years, and I doubt Osborne's successor will deviate from that too much. Besides, conference schedule that could potentially include Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa would be plenty strong. The strength of the conference wouldn't require a strong OOC, necessarily.

OU is on record saying they do not want to play NU and Texas every year right. now with is on the Big 12. So if we moved I think we could count that game out.

In what context? I imagine they didn't want Nebraska as a dedicated yearly in-conference game because it would be tougher to win the Big 12 south if their conf schedule was tougher than Texas'. Make it a non-conf game and they might see it differently.

I realize that the Oklahoma rivalry was a huge, but whoever said that the Big XII killed the rivalry was right. Plus, the rivalry hadn't been what it was in the 90's and the 00's bc of domination by one team over the other. Oklahoma already has two main rivals: Texas and Oklahoma State. Even though we, as Nebraska fans, want the rivalry with Oklahoma, it has passed, so we should move on.

I think the closest team we have to a rival now is Mizzou or Colorado, so if the Big Ten move happens, we could still have Mizzou as a rival and maybe pick up Iowa bc of proximity.

I realize that the Oklahoma rivalry was a huge, but whoever said that the Big XII killed the rivalry was right. Plus, the rivalry hadn't been what it was in the 90's and the 00's bc of domination by one team over the other. Oklahoma already has two main rivals: Texas and Oklahoma State. Even though we, as Nebraska fans, want the rivalry with Oklahoma, it has passed, so we should move on.

I think the closest team we have to a rival now is Mizzou or Colorado, so if the Big Ten move happens, we could still have Mizzou as a rival and maybe pick up Iowa bc of proximity.

This.

Plus, an OOC game with Oklahoma would kind of be like "oh, this is nice..", but it loses some of it's luster considering we wouldn't be in the same conference, imho. Domination by either team killed the rivalry in the 90's and 2000's, the Big 12 further killed the rivalry, and not even being in the same conference would pretty much shred the rivalry down to a thin slice.

I could see us playing them in a series in 15 years but that's it. Look at the land mines we have to play on a yearly bases in the big ten. The big ten like them or not normally do well in the bowl games against the SEC, big 12 and the Pac 10. Th e Rose bowl and the NU games are the only poor showings.

This might sound like blasphemy to some, but ever since we lost our yearly OU game since the formation of the Big 12, what used to be an event around these parts had lost its luster. In other words, I don't get that same feeling I used to when we were in the Big 8, so I've sort of lost interest in trying to regain what was lost in the NU/OU rivalry.

Don't forget that OU had a choice to play us every year once the Big 12 came into existence but chose not to. Granted it was during their down years when that decision was made, but that tells us a lot about where their priorities were at the time. The NU/OU game just wasn't as important to them as their border rivalry with Texas.

Needless to say, I enjoy playing them whenever we get the chance. But it just doesn't compare to the Big 8 era. It just feels like we've outgrown each other and moved on.

This might sound like blasphemy to some, but ever since we lost our yearly OU game since the formation of the Big 12, what used to be an event around these parts had lost its luster. In other words, I don't get that same feeling I used to when we were in the Big 8, so I've sort of lost interest in trying to regain what was lost in the NU/OU rivalry.

Don't forget that OU had a choice to play us every year once the Big 12 came into existence but chose not to. Granted it was during their down years when that decision was made, but that tells us a lot about where their priorities were at the time. The NU/OU game just wasn't as important to them as their border rivalry with Texas.

Needless to say, I enjoy playing them whenever we get the chance. But it just doesn't compare to the Big 8 era. It just feels like we've outgrown each other and moved on.

Completely agree.

This.

Plus, an OOC game with Oklahoma would kind of be like "oh, this is nice..", but it loses some of it's luster considering we wouldn't be in the same conference, imho. Domination by either team killed the rivalry in the 90's and 2000's, the Big 12 further killed the rivalry, and not even being in the same conference would pretty much shred the rivalry down to a thin slice.

You pretty much hit it on the head. The OU game in OOC wouldnt mean much, especially playing it Sept. Oklahoma I believe, thinks they have passed Nebraska by.

But, yeah..I agree.

It seemed to coincide with OU giving up the Wishbone..Russia losing Communism...The Berlin Wall comming down.