SIGNED CB Charles Jackson

For the last two weeks (or more) its been pretty doubtful he'll be joining us this fall. I think the class he took last summer which was recommended by his HS advisor actually fell outside the list of approved classes (or so I'm told) that would help improve his grades in his core GPA. Sounds like he's going to fall just short because his academic advisor is a moron. They're still trying to get the class approved by submitting the class syllabus and curriculum but its a long shot.

That's the problem I'm having, what I know is these courses did fall on the approved list and now the NCAA is having issue with it? How many credits can you get during the summer?

For the last two weeks (or more) its been pretty doubtful he'll be joining us this fall. I think the class he took last summer which was recommended by his HS advisor actually fell outside the list of approved classes (or so I'm told) that would help improve his grades in his core GPA. Sounds like he's going to fall just short because his academic advisor is a moron. They're still trying to get the class approved by submitting the class syllabus and curriculum but its a long shot.

Okay, this falls a bit outside my knowledge but if the poster above is correct and the high school is accredited and if the curriculum is state approved and either an elective that falls in a core subject then there CANT be a problem with that part of it. So it might be, like Da said, a class that was outside of the approved list the problem is, I have never seen that list, the NCAA doesnt give you a list of classes it gives you a list of rules. So that could be the issue.

To the question about taking to many summer classes? Some states differ on that, I know, but as far as the NCAA, not that I know of BUT it could red flag a kid, sometimes it looks a bit odd.

Okay, this falls a bit outside my knowledge but if the poster above is correct and the high school is accredited and if the curriculum is state approved and either an elective that falls in a core subject then there CANT be a problem with that part of it. So it might be, like Da said, a class that was outside of the approved list the problem is, I have never seen that list, the NCAA doesnt give you a list of classes it gives you a list of rules. So that could be the issue.

To the question about taking to many summer classes? Some states differ on that, I know, but as far as the NCAA, not that I know of BUT it could red flag a kid, sometimes it looks a bit odd.

Go to NCAA Eligibility Center, student, resources, and you will see a list for core for all schools. Put a school in and you will see the approved courses. The family went to this in his Junior year and all courses were on the list. Like Da said kids need to get it together in the Freshman and Sophmore years, but if the kid gets it during his Junior year and is trying to make it happen....then let it happen,IMO. NCAA shouldn't have a problem...clear him already!

So it was an online class?

By now everyone should realize I'm close to this situation, I'm not CJ or RP, and from my understanding of what's going on is the NCAA Eligibility Center made an error from the start thinking these were online/computer based courses and are now trying to say they don't think they were "core-curriculum" (last time I looked Alg, Spanish, and Physics were in the 16 core courses required for NCAA Eligiblity according to their website). Also in the state of Texas a student, depending on District, can take as many classes in the summer that the school allows for credit. Not to get into too much detail, it's all riding on the appeal from the school in question, Nebraska can't do anything. A good thing here is the School District is watching because it feels no wrong has been done. I know some will say "if CJ would have....." but that's not the point anymore. CJ woke up late like most kids and has done nothing but bust his ass to correct his mistake, IMO he has, and because somebody at N.E.C assumed his classes last year were online he gets heldup. Got to love America were murderers, rapist, and other prisoners can get a free college education from tax payers but some kids can't even get student loans or get cleared to attend college on a scholorship!

By now everyone should realize I'm close to this situation, I'm not CJ or RP, and from my understanding of what's going on is the NCAA Eligibility Center made an error from the start thinking these were online/computer based courses and are now trying to say they don't think they were "core-curriculum" (last time I looked Alg, Spanish, and Physics were in the 16 core courses required for NCAA Eligiblity according to their website). Also in the state of Texas a student, depending on District, can take as many classes in the summer that the school allows for credit. Not to get into too much detail, it's all riding on the appeal from the school in question, Nebraska can't do anything. A good thing here is the School District is watching because it feels no wrong has been done. I know some will say "if CJ would have....." but that's not the point anymore. CJ woke up late like most kids and has done nothing but bust his ass to correct his mistake, IMO he has, and because somebody at N.E.C assumed his classes last year were online he gets heldup. Got to love America were murderers, rapist, and other prisoners can get a free college education from tax payers but some kids can't even get student loans or get cleared to attend college on a scholorship!

Yeah, maybe you mentioned online classes before and I missed it. Those are a slippery slope right now, not as "norm" as college credits taken online.

They will be, very soon. In fact it would not shock me if in the next 5 years we have a good % of high school students taking classes online, I think most homeschooled kids will switch over to it and it will also give high school teachers a great chance to earn extra money.

Right now though, at the high school level, those online classes are very new, same at the undergrad level. There is a lot of "gray" with them at times.

Yeah, maybe you mentioned online classes before and I missed it. Those are a slippery slope right now, not as "norm" as college credits taken online.

They will be, very soon. In fact it would not shock me if in the next 5 years we have a good % of high school students taking classes online, I think most homeschooled kids will switch over to it and it will also give high school teachers a great chance to earn extra money.

Right now though, at the high school level, those online classes are very new, same at the undergrad level. There is a lot of "gray" with them at times.

There's actually a good % now that take online courses at the Virtual Schools and some Colleges to get credit. Funny thing is a UT commit took the same class with no problem. Interested to know how that one works.