Six Big 12 teams heading for the Pac-10?

Nexus

2:25 p.m.: Are the bombs about to drop on the Big 12 Conference?

Orangebloods.com, the Texas rivals site, is reporting this afternoon through anonymous sources that six Big 12 teams have been invited to join the Pac-10 -- Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Colorado.

The story by Chip Brown, former Texas beat writer at the Dallas Morning News, indicates that the expanded league would have two eight-team divisions. Arizona and Arizona State would go in with the six current Big 12 schools.

We're walking the hallways right now looking for details.

LINK

Let's say this does happen. That leaves the Big 12 with NU, MU, ISU, KU, KSU and Baylor. I'd think us and Mizzou would be begging to go to the Big Ten. Where do the leftovers go? Combine with the Mtn West? They all can't go independent.

Let's say this does happen. That leaves the Big 12 with NU, MU, ISU, KU, KSU and Baylor. I'd think us and Mizzou would be begging to go to the Big Ten. Where do the leftovers go? Combine with the Mtn West? They all can't go independent.

Doomsday scenario like this. My guess is as good as yours. If we're denied by the Big Ten then I'd agree with the Mountain West being the next logical choice, geographically speaking.

My guess is Chip Brown is stirring the pot with this report on purpose just to spite MU and NU because of all the Big Ten rumors over the past couple months. In other words, they felt left out so it's their turn to get some free pub.

If this happens and we are denied by the Big 10 (which I doubt IN THE EXTREME, but for the sake of argument), we'll join the SEC.

Remember who Nebraska is. Remember the kind of revenue we have, the kind of national audience we bring in the biggest sport, and the kind of academic institution we are. We'd walk into the SEC on footing equal to or above every school but Florida academically, and athletically we'd be competitive.

We're not going to be left in the lurch here. We're a commodity, and we're going somewhere that benefits us.

Well, if true, it might solve the issue of penalties for leaving the conference. Get one more school involved and the Big 12 can be dissolved instead of individual teams leaving. Texas may be able to force Baylor to consent. But yeah, I'm concerned about what happens to KU. There basketball program is good enough to get into a good conference, but they won't be geographically close to another major conference. As far as Baylor, KSU, and ISU, I don't care one bit.

I'm with Nexus on this. Just more publicity for the schools and the news sites and us suckers eat it up. I love it. But again why does Texas want to split the ego with USC? I don't want to see the other big12 north schools left out (of course cu and mu can just implode for all i care).

If this happens and we are denied by the Big 10 (which I doubt IN THE EXTREME, but for the sake of argument), we'll join the SEC.

Remember who Nebraska is. Remember the kind of revenue we have, the kind of national audience we bring in the biggest sport, and the kind of academic institution we are. We'd walk into the SEC on footing equal to or above every school but Florida academically, and athletically we'd be competitive.

We're not going to be left in the lurch here. We're a commodity, and we're going somewhere that benefits us.

I'm not worried either way. I was halfway joking when I said the MWC, but also halfway serious when making the point that it'd be the next closest conference geographically speaking.

If such a scenario were to go down, I could see the MWC trying to woo us. But the SEC would be the next best option all things considered.

nothing is certain until there is a press conference announcing so. BUT, with that said, I have had a Rivals account for years, and it is few and far between when the Tx boys (orange bloods) are not correct on everthing they put out there. I have a real hard time believing this is just to swing eyes to TX.

If this were to shake out this way, the SEC would be scrambling. Can you imagine hooking up recruiting grounds in Texas with recruiting grounds in California? OU would absolutely love this arrangement as they could pick off the best talent from not only Texas but from California as well. I'd hate to be in Arizona and Arizona States shoes though looking at what their schedules would look like compared to USC's. I'm beginning to think that no conference really knows what they want to do which is leading me to believe that relatively nothing will change. Maybe, the Big 10 can lure in Notre Dame and this might be the only change. Time will tell.