Nebraska & Mizzou have until Friday (6/11) to decide if they're in or out

Nexus

Nebraska and Missouri have been given an ultimatum by the Big 12 and told they have until this Friday to decide if they want to remain in the conference or entertain the possibility of joining the Big Ten, two highly placed officials of two Big 12 schools have told the Statesman. The deadline was given to the pair of schools by the Big 12 presidents during the league meetings held in Kansas City this last week. “Nebraska has until 5 p.m. on Friday to tell us what they’re going to do,” one school official said, adding that he has heard it is a possibility they could extend that deadline to June 15. “The same deal for Missouri. They have to tell us they’re not going to the Big Ten or …” Or at least six Big 12 schools, including Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech, will be inclined to accept an invitation to join the Pac-10 Conference. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado are the other three schools that could bolt what would be a dissolving Big 12. Nebraska and Missouri could be taking the risk that they might not be extended invitations from the Big Ten, which has said it could take up to 18 months to decide whether to expand its current membership of 11 schools. “I’ve talked to the Pac-10,” said the Big 12 school administrator, who expected the speculation involving the Big 12 to be resolved within two weeks. “There is an invitation. When it comes, it’ll come fast.” One Pac-10 athletic director told the Statesman on Saturday, “There’s still a lot that has to happen. It’s nowhere near done. At this point, we have not been presented any definite plans. Said another political figure heavily connected to Texas, “I know the war drums are beating. This is way beyond gossip.”

LINK

So what happens if Nebraska and Missouri say, "Sure, boys, we're staying in the Big 12" and then six months from now when the Big 10 gets in gear and lets NU and MU know their applications would be accepted? What are they going to do, demand hostages as signs of good faith from these two schools? Legally they can't force them to stay, and whatever contractual bind they put on us would have to apply to all schools, meaning Texas and Co. can't go to the Pac-10 at their discretion, either.

Further, this kind of thing makes no sense. The Big 10 would take Texas in a heartbeat. Texas would make more money in the Big 10. The travel distances aren't much different via air for the Big 10 vs. the Pac-10 for Texas. The academic money from the CIC dwarfs what Texas would get from the Pac-10.

This appears to be a lot of saber rattling, and not much else. The scenarios that would have to take place for this to have teeth are less likely than those involving a move to the Big 10 by Nebraska and Missouri.

If it were me, I'd call their bluff.

And do texa$$, aTm, TT, OU, oSu and cu have the same deadline? Again, this looks like "lets make Nebraska look like the big bad bullies that destroyed the Big 12" I think texa$$ thinks they can run the show with the Big 12 South absorbing the Pac-10, just like when the SWC absorbed the Big 8

If this is really true then I see Texass' ego getting bruised. "What? Nebraska thinks they can leave and be better off? We'll show them...Beebe call up the pac10..tell them we're ready to make a deal. See Nebraska...(snotty voice) we can jump ship just as fast as you so you better be sure the big10 wants you."

So what happens if Nebraska and Missouri say, "Sure, boys, we're staying in the Big 12" and then six months from now when the Big 10 gets in gear and lets NU and MU know their applications would be accepted? What are they going to do, demand hostages as signs of good faith from these two schools? Legally they can't force them to stay, and whatever contractual bind they put on us would have to apply to all schools, meaning Texas and Co. can't go to the Pac-10 at their discretion, either.

Further, this kind of thing makes no sense. The Big 10 would take Texas in a heartbeat. Texas would make more money in the Big 10. The travel distances aren't much different via air for the Big 10 vs. the Pac-10 for Texas. The academic money from the CIC dwarfs what Texas would get from the Pac-10.

This appears to be a lot of saber rattling, and not much else. The scenarios that would have to take place for this to have teeth are less likely than those involving a move to the Big 10 by Nebraska and Missouri.

If it were me, I'd call their bluff.

does seem to be alot of saber rattling going.....chip brown has been on espn radio with every show today and tonight.

alot of revisionist history of the last 4 months going on.....texas only acting in their best interests....what does he think nebraska is doing.

i wonder if barry alvarez or graham spanier(sp?) at penn state have been called.

And do texa$$, aTm, TT, OU, oSu and cu have the same deadline? Again, this looks like "lets make Nebraska look like the big bad bullies that destroyed the Big 12" I think texa$$ thinks they can run the show with the Big 12 South absorbing the Pac-10, just like when the SWC absorbed the Big 8

the SWC blew-up when texas and SMU (remember them?) got into a huge p*ssin' match about recruiting. from about the mid-70s right into the eighties, texas was southern meth's b*tch for lack of a better word. back then, recruiting violations between southwestern conference schools pretty much varied by degrees (remember, SWC also stood for "sure, we cheat"), so texas made the calculated move to rat out SMU. when it was all over, everyone got dinged (i think only baylor and maybe rice were the only schools to get out of the investigation unscathed) but SMU was by far the worst casualty. arkansas bolted for the SEC in the early 90s and SWC was quickly beginning to look like the sick man of college football.

Osborne knew *exactly* what texas was back then. he warned the big 8 everything would move south if it dealt with the whornes. no-body listened and, well, here we are looking at the demise of the big xii largely in part because texas refuses to play nice with everyone else and believes that it's all about them. if nebraska and missouri weren't looking to jump before, they most certainly will now.

the moral of this story is that everything that texas touches is eventually corrupted and will die. the pac-10 had *better* take note of that before go one step further.

• Fire 3

the SWC blew-up when texas and SMU (remember them?) got into a huge p*ssin' match about recruiting. from about the mid-70s right into the eighties, texas was southern meth's b*tch for lack of a better word. back then, recruiting violations between southwestern conference schools pretty much varied by degrees (remember, SWC also stood for "sure, we cheat"), so texas made the calculated move to rat out SMU. when it was all over, everyone got dinged (i think only baylor and maybe rice were the only schools to get out of the investigation unscathed) but SMU was by far the worst casualty. arkansas bolted for the SEC in the early 90s and SWC was quickly beginning to look like the sick man of college football.

Osborne knew *exactly* what texas was back then. he warned the big 8 everything would move south if it dealt with the whornes. no-body listened and, well, here we are looking at the demise of the big xii largely in part because texas refuses to play nice with everyone else and believes that it's all about them. if nebraska and missouri weren't looking to jump before, they most certainly will now.

the moral of this story is that everything that texas touches is eventually corrupted and will die. the pac-10 had *better* take note of that before go one step further.

SMU Yes, I remember them. I was actually a classmate of Craig James.

Screw the big 12 demands! The more I read about the way that Bebe is handeling his conferance falling apart the more I want us to leave. I say we give notice at 12:01 am on 06/12 just to spite him. I think after all the smoke settles the offensive name for a mentaly challenged person will be changed from retard to betard in honor of Bebe's performance as commish.