This whole thing is awful

Hey Kevin,

Welcome to the board! I've talked to a couple of Sooner fan buddies who are in agreement with you. They're not happy in the least with what appears to be transpiring. I hope somehow we can begin the rivalry again in the future, say as a non-conference opponent?

I don't see why this couldn't happen.

You have Florida/FSU, Clemson/SCar, GT/UGA, and others who play yearly out of conference...

Absolutely! Could be the in road we need to re-energize that rivalry.

IMO, the OU/NU rivalry died when Switzer was forced out at OU after being caught cheating. The rivalry as I remember it was always TO against Switzer. It would have been nice to fire it back up when Bo was hired considering his ties with Stoops. If Stoops doesn't want any part of joining the SEC, I highly doubt he'll want any part of playing us in the nonconference every year either.

IMO, the OU/NU rivalry died when Switzer was forced out at OU after being caught cheating. The rivalry as I remember it was always TO against Switzer. It would have been nice to fire it back up when Bo was hired considering his ties with Stoops. If Stoops doesn't want any part of joining the SEC, I highly doubt he'll want any part of playing us in the nonconference every year either.

As much as I would like to disagree, I unfortunately can't. Stoops seems to be the type of coach who likes to play weaker non-con teams as a warm-up to the conference games. He would absolutely flip out if he had to play us (non-con) just before the Red River Rivalry.

Hey Kevin,

Welcome to the board! I've talked to a couple of Sooner fan buddies who are in agreement with you. They're not happy in the least with what appears to be transpiring. I hope somehow we can begin the rivalry again in the future, say as a non-conference opponent?

I don't see why this couldn't happen.

You have Florida/FSU, Clemson/SCar, GT/UGA, and others who play yearly out of conference...

It won't happen because Stoops and Castiglione only want one "tough" out of conference game per season, and we've got Florida State (2010-11), Notre Dame (12-13), Tennessee(14-15), Ohio State (16-17), and LSU (18-19) already up for the next decade. Plus...if they're not fighting to stay with Nebraska now....

Anyway, I miss the days of playing you all at Thanksgiving for all the marbles. It was a good, friendly rivalry. Too few of those these days.

If we move (and I think we will) I think we'll be seeing a LOT of OOC games against Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, maybe Colorado, and Oklahoma once in a while.

That would soften the blow quite a bit, and make for some awesome seasons.

I don't know, Perkins has already said they would be hard pressed to play Nebraska or MU if they left. I see no benefit of playing Iowa State. We could offer Texas a neutral site game at Arrowhead possibly :)

Heh. Well, those days may be returning to us soon. With everything that has gone on with our basketball program, the NCAA has us under a microscope. In a dark, dark way, I wish that it would happen so Castiglione would be forced out.

The funny thing about Stoops, too, is that he doesn't like to schedule games against friends or family. He's balked at playing Iowa and Arizona. Although, now he's going to have to play Arizona. And, you'll find a pretty sizable contingent of Sooner fans who believe Mike was more of the driver on defense than Bob anyway. I always thought Mike would hold out for a Big Ten job and was really surprised when he took the Arizona job.

I loved Pelini for the season he was at OU because we shut out Texas for the first time since 1972. Vince Young at QB, Roy Williams at WR, Cedric Benson in the backfield...and zero points against Pelini!

NU/OU game was what we used to live for in the old Big 8. It was never the same after the Big 12 formed. Now we'll have to hope we play each other in the Rose Bowl assuming OU goes to the Pac-10?

NU is moving to a great conference. OU looks like they will have a solid conference too. The change won't be that much for them. The Pac-16 inland division would have just Southwest teams and the divisional play will be largely the same with 5 or 6 teams from the South. Championship games will just involve USC or Oregon some years and Oklahoma is a nice counterpart to Oregon as is Texas to USC and those games should be intense. Just makes it more important for OU to beat TU. We will have to see how our division plays out in The Big Ten but if we beat Mich., Penn St, and Ohio St I bet we see OU in the Rose Bowl before long. There also will still be room to schedule a couple games too so I expect we see that.

Im actually happy now that Oklahoma and Nebraska are not in the same conference anymore. Now i can root for both teams, instead of just the one. I'll always be a Nebraska fan, Big Red flows in my veins, but I will be an Okie fan as well. You guys stop letting Texas push you around, haha.

Heh. Well, those days may be returning to us soon. With everything that has gone on with our basketball program, the NCAA has us under a microscope. In a dark, dark way, I wish that it would happen so Castiglione would be forced out.

The funny thing about Stoops, too, is that he doesn't like to schedule games against friends or family. He's balked at playing Iowa and Arizona. Although, now he's going to have to play Arizona. And, you'll find a pretty sizable contingent of Sooner fans who believe Mike was more of the driver on defense than Bob anyway. I always thought Mike would hold out for a Big Ten job and was really surprised when he took the Arizona job.

I loved Pelini for the season he was at OU because we shut out Texas for the first time since 1972. Vince Young at QB, Roy Williams at WR, Cedric Benson in the backfield...and zero points against Pelini!

At least you will get an opportunity for some payback with Oregon.

I really don't feel like we are losing anything by leaving the Big 12. With all due respect to the other schools in the old Big 8, Oklahoma was our only real rival. And that rivalry basically died with the formation of the Big 12. Iowa instantly becomes a bigger rival than anyone in the Big 12 north. I certainly hope we can rekindle something with Oklahoma after all of this plays out.