How far back do you allow Colleges to Brag?

How far back are you allowed to Brag?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think there's a limit on how far back you can brag. Recent stuff is more relevant to brag about but you should be able to brag about having multiple National Titles even if some of them were in the 1940's.

Yep...this. History's your history, and while you can't always rest on your laurels, that doesn't diminish the greatness of the past.

Which part of the Devaney Era is irrelevant to who we are today? None of it, of course.

How significant was the fact that Nebraska beat the Four Horsemen not once, but twice? It's quite significant, even though none of us were alive when it happened.

How big was our win over the unstoppable Sooners in 59? BIG, and time doesn't alter that.

How important to College Football was The Game of the Century? Tremendously, and it still resonates today, 40 years later.

Our celebrated Sellout Streak wouldn't be what it is today without those fans from nearly 50 years ago who packed Memorial Stadium.

Everything is relevant from the day a player first put on a college sweater and walked onto the field up to this very day, because it makes a team who it is today.

I like what Blackshirt316 said about things being "MORE relevant." It's all relevant, depending on the conversation, but for this season, certain things are more relevant than others.

XPWIDYYGKOFNPYB20020806215149.jpg

George Flippin is worth bragging about, 118 years after he became the first Black athlete to play for Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Which part of the Devaney Era is irrelevant to who we are today? None of it, of course.

How significant was the fact that Nebraska beat the Four Horsemen not once, but twice? It's quite significant, even though none of us were alive when it happened.

How big was our win over the unstoppable Sooners in 59? BIG, and time doesn't alter that.

How important to College Football was The Game of the Century? Tremendously, and it still resonates today, 40 years later.

Our celebrated Sellout Streak wouldn't be what it is today without those fans from nearly 50 years ago who packed Memorial Stadium.

Everything is relevant from the day a player first put on a college sweater and walked onto the field up to this very day, because it makes a team who it is today.

I like what Blackshirt316 said about things being "MORE relevant." It's all relevant, depending on the conversation, but for this season, certain things are more relevant than others.

XPWIDYYGKOFNPYB20020806215149.jpg

George Flippin is worth bragging about, 118 years after he became the first Black athlete to play for Nebraska.

:clap +1

Maybe I should of asked, "When someone brags how far back do you allow them to go back before you roll your eyes?"

examples:

Notre dame: 8 national championships

Ohio state: Winning percentage .752 in the last 25 years

Maybe 25 is a better mark?

I think you should have been alive to be able to brag about it.

Spot on. If you weren't alive or were too young to remember it, you probably shouldn't be bragging about it. I tend to not brag on anything Nebraska did prior to 1980 because I don't remember much prior to 1980 as I was only 5. I'll probably always brag about the run in the 90's because I was in college at UNL then. Fortunately for me, we played for a NC every year I was in college.

I don't think there's a limit on how far back you can brag. Recent stuff is more relevant to brag about but you should be able to brag about having multiple National Titles even if some of them were in the 1940's.

Yep...this. History's your history, and while you can't always rest on your laurels, that doesn't diminish the greatness of the past.

:yeah

:yeah

I picked from the beginning. Obviously, NU had down years in the 2000s, but that history and tradition is why they were coveted by the Big Ten. Nebraska is still recognized around the country for their history. There's a reason the Big Ten ADs voted unanimously.