Washington game. Break it down.

I am having a really hard time believing this will be a difficult game for us. I am trying to come up with reasons we will have a difficult time and just cant. Wash was a 5-7 team last year who got a scrappy win agianst the worst USC team this decade. Other than an unimpressive win over USC there really isnt anything to indicate they are a "resurgent" program. They have Jake Locker but not really anyone else surrounding him, I dont see him tearing apart arguabley the best defensive secondary in the nation and another stout D-line.

This is also a team that on avg gave up more points that it forced. Being that it is the third week of the year our offense should be healthy and wont be as bad or worse than last year.

This is just my high level over view and maybe I am looking through rose colored glasses, but I just cant find anyway that we lose this game. Barring an ISUish type performance.

I agree 100%. The only thing that has me worried is the fact that it is an away game on the west coast, in a stadium where fans are buying into hype. This is the kind of atmosphere that makes Lincoln a tough place to play.

I really don't see this being a "marquee" match-up at all. Not even close to NU vs USC or NU vs VT for recent out of conference games. Nebraska fans should be very worried about what the rest of the season will look like if this is a close game at all.

I agree, part of the worries stem from it being an early away game, which we've recently struggled with (like the Va Tech and USC games before), and part of it has to do with the massive hype-job Jake Locker has been receiving since the end of last year. While he's a very good player, I just don't think their talent matches up with ours across the board.

A couple reasons why it's a tough game:

1) The year before they were 5-7, they went 0-12. It's obvious that this team is on a major upswing. They aren't even close to as talented as VaTech the last couple years but they shouldn't be taken lightly.

2) They return a lot of the talent from last years team, especially on offense. The defense is the question mark for Washington. They lose a couple kids on the d-line and at LB. The secondary is solid though. This game is similar to the aTm game IMO. A great offense and a questionable defense vs. a questionable offense and a good defense. Anytime you have a kid like Locker, you have to give that team respect.

By all means, I'm not saying this is a impossible game or even very tough but it is a big game. If we come out and play well, we'll learn a lot about how good of a team we got in Lincoln. I'm going to the Washington game and can't wait.....I bet half the stadium is wearing RED! :w00t

1) The year before they were 5-7, they went 0-12. It's obvious that this team is on a major upswing. They aren't even close to as talented as VaTech the last couple years but they shouldn't be taken lightly.

2) They return a lot of the talent from last years team, especially on offense. The defense is the question mark for Washington. They lose a couple kids on the d-line and at LB. The secondary is solid though. This game is similar to the aTm game IMO. A great offense and a questionable defense vs. a questionable offense and a good defense. Anytime you have a kid like Locker, you have to give that team respect.

By all means, I'm not saying this is a impossible game or even very tough but it is a big game. If we come out and play well, we'll learn a lot about how good of a team we got in Lincoln. I'm going to the Washington game and can't wait.....I bet half the stadium is wearing RED! :w00t

Sure you have to give any team respect, but I just view Wash as a one trick pony. Without Locker they are likely in for another o'fer season. I dont see us struggling to shut him down and we pull away in this one.

Going from 0-12 to 5-7 isnt really that great of an achievement in my eyes. It's still a losing season and most teams can pick up 3 W's from weak OOC scheduling. Their 5 wins last year were nothing impressive. Looking at their schedule this year, I honestly dont see more than 5-6 wins agian.

While we "should" win and I think we will; we will go into the game with as a huge favorite with a pretty high national ranking. That ranking will likely be somewhat overstated for the 2010 Huskers; due to it being based on the last two games of last season and the first easy 00C games this year. A team or two might have fallen and we be even high single digit ranking. That's dangerous for a young team on the road, especially without a leader at QB.

Lochler will put up some points almost certainly. If we are inept on offense, as we've shown the ability to be, it could be a long night. I think we win but would not in any way take that for granted. If I were betting the game, I imagine we will be huge favs and would take Wash and the points.

It will give us a good feel for how things will play out in conference cause it will get much tougher. Not a classical "trap" game, but certainly one where if we are not very careful could stub our toe early.

By all means, I'm not saying this is a impossible game or even very tough but it is a big game. If we come out and play well, we'll learn a lot about how good of a team we got in Lincoln. I'm going to the Washington game and can't wait.....I bet half the stadium is wearing RED! w00t.gif

Sure you have to give any team respect, but I just view Wash as a one trick pony. Without Locker they are likely in for another o'fer season. I dont see us struggling to shut him down and we pull away in this one.

Going from 0-12 to 5-7 isnt really that great of an achievement in my eyes. It's still a losing season and most teams can pick up 3 W's from weak OOC scheduling. Their 5 wins last year were nothing impressive. Looking at their schedule this year, I honestly dont see more than 5-6 wins agian.

They are a VERY good home team, they went 5-2 last year at home, losing only to LSU and Oregon. They beat USC and destroyed Cal both at home, they were 5-7 because they were a young team that struggled on the road. They do have a very rough schedule this year though.

By all means, I'm not saying this is a impossible game or even very tough but it is a big game. If we come out and play well, we'll learn a lot about how good of a team we got in Lincoln. I'm going to the Washington game and can't wait.....I bet half the stadium is wearing RED! w00t.gif

They are a VERY good home team, they went 5-2 last year at home, losing only to LSU and Oregon. They beat USC and destroyed Cal both at home, they were 5-7 because they were a young team that struggled on the road. They do have a very rough schedule this year though.

I'm sorry, but no team that went 5-7 is VERY good.

They were very good at home, I didn't say they were very good overall.

They were very good at home, I didn't say they were very good overall.

We played a 5-7 team last year and needed Gomes to cause a fumble as their WR was about to cross the goal-line to tie the game in the 4th quarter.

Nothing we've done in the past two years makes me think we're in a position to write off any opponent as "easy." Especially when we're playing in their house.

I expect a dogfight in this game. If we win easier so much the better, but I won't be surprised to be playing a one-score game in the fourth quarter.

We went from 5-7 to 9-4. Just saying...

Very true, but we werent 0'fer the season before that. Meaning we atleast had some talent in the cupboards. To go 0'fer is more than bad coaching, it means you have nothing to work with as well. I just dont see Washington going anything over .500 this year.

I checked their game times for the 1st two games and we should be able to watch them play with out disrupting our games. I am really interested to see how they do agianst BYU.