6 is a little high for me

I think 'rankings' are overrated! Especially before the season starts. Who's to say if 6 is to high or low at this point?

This is kind of my thinking. Those who think NU shouldn't be in the top10, I challenge them to find 10 bona fide, undisputable teams that are definitely better than NU. I can't do it. Sure, NU could end up 8-4, and ranked 20-25 pre-bowl. They could just as easily be 10-2, or better, and top10. Neither situation appears to be THAT impropable.

I think 'rankings' are overrated! Especially before the season starts. Who's to say if 6 is to high or low at this point?

This is kind of my thinking. Those who think NU shouldn't be in the top10, I challenge them to find 10 bona fide, undisputable teams that are definitely better than NU. I can't do it. Sure, NU could end up 8-4, and ranked 20-25 pre-bowl. They could just as easily be 10-2, or better, and top10. Neither situation appears to be THAT impropable.

The fact is every team in country has questions marks. Nebraska at #6 isnt too far of a stretch. We proved last year we can play with any team in country on our best day. Most people are banking on us having a little bit better offense and just as good of defense, myself included.

The only way I find this team going 8-4 or close to that is the wheels completely fall out of the wagon in conference play. Mizzou and Texas are the best 2 teams we play coming into the season, so at worst I see us going 10-2 and prob still in the top 12-15 before bowl season starts.

Looking at what everybody else has this year, I would say we are a Top 10 team. The SEC is, IMHO, going to be uncharacteristically weak. Alabama is the only "sure thing" going in that conference. I don't believe the Florida hype. Remember they were 9-4 the year Tebow took over and I doubt the new kid is as good as he. Plus they lose a lot on the defensive side of the ball. Really, the Big 10 has Ohio State and Iowa. Maybe Wisconsin but let's give them top 10. Boise will have a high ranking, as they should. Who from the Pac 10 should be ranked ahead of Nebraska?

So I say...

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Oklahoma

4. Boise State

5. TCU

6. Iowa

7. Texas

8. Nebraska

9. Wisconsin

10. Florida State

11. Florida

Before you think Nebraska is being overhyped, you have to look at what every other team brings back. I understand why some of us are hesitant (2007 anyone?). Somebody go through and name me 10 teams that return more and have the schedule set up like Nebraska to win a lot of games? Remember, rankings are relative to the level of everyone else.

This is how I feel too....instead of saying we're overrated why not ask who should be ahead of us.

Big 12: Texas, OU, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Missouri are going to be tough games

I'd say Texas, OU ahead of us for sure

Texas Tech a toss up

Until I see better defense from both A&M and Missouri they stay below us

Pac 10: Hmmmm....Oregon's offseason problems knocked them out of the top 5....USC sanctions....whose left? OSU, Stanford?

Big 10: Ohio State for sure...then who? Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State are all possible I suppose

SEC: Well I'm suprised the polls don't just rank the 12 teams 1-12 and then fill everyone else in since it's the bestest

conference forever! :ahhhhhhhh

ACC: Virginia Tech? Surely not FSU...maybe

Big East: I got nothing

Wild cards: Boise? TCU?

6 is a little higher than I would have ranked us but I don't have a problem with it. People should be optimistic when we are returning a defense that should be at least close to what it was last year and our returning an offense that should be improved. We managed to finish 14th last year with three close losses so 6 isn't really a stretch.

Wouldn't it be beneficial for our ranking during the season, to be ranked high as possible in the preseason?

I know that preseason rankings are based on hype and little else. And Lord willin', I hope we win them all, but say we lose to Washington. Wouldn't we have a better ranking the following week if we started out at #6 as opposed to #12? Or by season's end, does it not really matter?

Thoughts?

Hate to say it, but I'd have Boise State #2. They bring back 21 of 22. That is tremendous, considering they were a solid team last year and should only be better. Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, all these teams have to prove they can fill holes and perform at a quality level. Texas was unimpressive last season and lost their star QB... Oklahoma had serious line and injury issues and lost playmakers... Ohio State has a QB who has performed well in only a handful of games...

Wouldn't it be beneficial for our ranking during the season, to be ranked high as possible in the preseason?

I know that preseason rankings are based on hype and little else. And Lord willin', I hope we win them all, but say we lose to Washington. Wouldn't we have a better ranking the following week if we started out at #6 as opposed to #12? Or by season's end, does it not really matter?

Thoughts?

Starting your season ranked highly is the best way to stay in the Top 25 throughout the season, even if you lose a game or two. Naturally, you want to be ranked as high as possible at the beginning of the season, even if it really doesn't mean much.

Unfortunately, the polls have to mean a lot because we don't have a playoff. If we had a playoff, they would be obscure stats that we wouldn't pay as much attention to as we do now. However, your ranking can dictate where you go at the end of the season, among other factors.

Hate to say it, but I'd have Boise State #2. They bring back 21 of 22. That is tremendous, considering they were a solid team last year and should only be better. Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, all these teams have to prove they can fill holes and perform at a quality level. Texas was unimpressive last season and lost their star QB... Oklahoma had serious line and injury issues and lost playmakers... Ohio State has a QB who has performed well in only a handful of games...

I think BSU deserves a high ranking but, once again, the conference they play in is fair criticism and is a fair reason to downgrade them imho. Without question they are a good program, but I doubt they perform as well as they do each year if they were in the Big 12 or SEC. The physical toll and the preparation that goes into being a part of the Big 12 and SEC is different than what Boise State goes through. They don't subject themselves to the same type of pain and punishment each week that a team from the Big 12 does.

Even with their recent conference move, it's still tough to peg them year in and year out. They just don't go through the same things we have to go through.

I saw that and thought "Oh god, Sip is an AP voter?"

The AP is generally regarded as meaningless, but shouldn't they vet this process and give it to more balanced voters? If the votes are just distributed to homers of different schools, what's the point of that. Why not have a (smaller maybe) collection of people who cover nationally and don't have strong personal favorites or teams they know way more about?

Sipple loves Nebraska and is always optimistic about Nebraska. His glass of :koolaid2: is overflowing. Makes him a terrible AP voter.

Where did we finish last year? 14? After spending most of it ranked much lower...I wouldn't put us any higher than 15 heading into this year. 15 is pretty high to begin with, just generally speaking. Let's work our way up from there and prove we belong this year.

Zoog do you ever look at Sipp's poll? He actually does a very good job and looks at it pretty objectively, in-season at least.. There were a few times I remember looking at it thinking, damn, can't we even get a 24 or 25 from the hometown guy? So it's not like he loves to overrate us

I think this may have been mentioned in an article I read, or maybe another post, but I'm a little nervous heading into the season. This has the potential of being a National Championship Season, and is also could easily be a 6-6 season as well. It just all depends on whether or not 1) The Offensive Line has improved as much as Pelini said it has 2) We have consistent play at QB 3) The defensive steps up with the loss of Suh. If all 3 of these are a bust, I say a 6-6 season. If 1 out of 3...probably an 8-9 win season. All 3 and I think we are BCS bound.