Red Field being installed

cb1954

Live webcam of the red turf

I don't understand why people don't like it

If you happen to play in the Big Sky Conference you'll see it once every two years

If you are unfortunate enough to be an Eagles fan you enjoy the added attention and swell of alumni pride

Most important is that football programs all over FCS are in danger of being cut or going to non scholarship teams

Western Washington dropped its program last year, if I'm Eastern or a fan of Eastern I'm extremely happy that Michael Roos helped pay for a new field

This is a gimmick, meant to draw attention to a program that otherwise gets over looked, the turf will do just what they want it to do draw attention

Boise has reaped the benefits of the blue turf and hopefully this will keep EWU from having to drop football

• Fire 1

Live webcam of the red turf

I don't understand why people don't like it

If you happen to play in the Big Sky Conference you'll see it once every two years

If you are unfortunate enough to be an Eagles fan you enjoy the added attention and swell of alumni pride

Most important is that football programs all over FCS are in danger of being cut or going to non scholarship teams

Western Washington dropped its program last year, if I'm Eastern or a fan of Eastern I'm extremely happy that Michael Roos helped pay for a new field

This is a gimmick, meant to draw attention to a program that otherwise gets over looked, the turf will do just what they want it to do draw attention

Boise has reaped the benefits of the blue turf and hopefully this will keep EWU from having to drop football

and we have a winner!

The key to keeping your football program financially viable is to have a solid program. You shouldn't have to rely on gimmicks to keep your program running, because after a while the novelty factor wears off and you're back to square one.

If they end up at square one what have they lost?

They have nothing to lose, this could however allow them to get enough attention to get better recruits and possibly get some momentum towards becoming a 'solid program'

It's a school stuck halfway between Washington State and Gonzaga, now they're the team with the red field

• 4 weeks later...

As a fan of college football, I hate to see any university have to drop its program. And I suppose that when push comes to shove, a program has to do what it takes to survive. But as stated earlier, win games, attract fans, and sell tickets & merchandise. Don't paint your field.

Football fields are green. Baseball fields are green. Basketball courts are a lighter wood color. Hockey rinks are an ice-white color.

It is ridiculous to change the makeup of these things for the sake of promotion. This entire trend needs to be banned immediately.

The key to keeping your football program financially viable is to have a solid program. You shouldn't have to rely on gimmicks to keep your program running, because after a while the novelty factor wears off and you're back to square one.

If they end up at square one what have they lost?

They have nothing to lose, this could however allow them to get enough attention to get better recruits and possibly get some momentum towards becoming a 'solid program'

It's a school stuck halfway between Washington State and Gonzaga, now they're the team with the red field

Anyone else find it ironic that this is what the AD is doing to avoid the budget going in the red?

They are going to be on local (Spokane WA) tv this Saturday. I'll have to watch and see if its good or bad.

Well, I watched it. The first 3-5 seconds you think about it and then you realize how hideous it is. Good thing it was cloudy or you would have needed sunglasses to watch it on tv. Think its even worse as EWU wears all red uniforms.

It did serve its purpose though as it gets lots of publicity (ESPN had a crew there so watch for it) and they beat Montana.