Who is the Big 12 Courting?

I don't see expansion any time very soon. The good nonBCS teams in Texas don't add much in the way of viewers, that state is already owned. BYU won't play anything on Sunday, which could be a hurdle in other sports. Plus adding teams means splitting the pie more and since the "big three" have guaranteed big slices I don't see the "screwed seven" risking their slices getting smaller. Plus Texas and OU will be making nice jack without having to play a CCG, they may decide they don't want another member.

There were those ridiculous rumors about Jerry Jones going out to get Arkansas and ND to replace Colorado and Nebraska. To see how dumb that is just go to any Arkansas board and ask about what went down when they left the SWC. They may dislike Texas more then we do and It doesn't sound like they ever want to go back. As far as ND, it sounds like they basically have had a open invite to the big ten for 20 years any time expansion is brought up. They aren't going to join a conference... but they especially aren't going to the dysfunctional big 12 for less money and less stability.

Supposedly BYU was considered during the formation of the big 12 and it wasn't gonna work out for a variety of reasons. I don't know what has changed since then besides Jerry Jones needing a CCG. I doubt it is true, but it is a school that they might actually talk into joining.

The old SWC Texas teams like TCU and Houston are pointed out all the time as candidates for big 12 expansion. The problem is they add absolutely nothing financially, they don't have the facilities or the following. They are smack dab in markets that are dominated by UT and aTm. All they add is more mouths to feed and more competition between Texas schools recruiting against each-other. Not that any problems could ever arise from that.

Therein lies the problem, as others have mentioned above, money. The big 12 has make some promises that it doesn't look like they can keep at this point financially, and adding members just adds more people to divide their share up. I don't think adding schools in markets the already own is going to help that.

p.s. I like that... Courting Texas. From it's formation until it's dissolution. That is the big 12.

• Fire 1

The Big 12(10) will add more teams once either Texas or Oklahoma gets jumped by a Big 10(12) or Pac-12 team to play for the national championship. It will happen. The new Big 12 will seem as a lesser conference compared to others. Right now there is a poll on whether the new Big 12 should be able to have a CCG with 10 teams.

Its what ever Texas wants. But TCU has to be one of the biggest front runners. I always thought maybe Arkansas, but I doubt they would leave the SEC.

The Big12-2 isnt going to expand back to 12. UT/OU have the conference by the balls now. Why would OU/UT/aTm want any other Texas schools into their conference? It would only hurt them in recruiting and further legitimize these teams into getting a piece of the BCS pie. Also adding these teams does nothing to increase TV revenue because UT/aTm already bring in the Texas TV sets. The Big12-2 isnt expanding and if they were to expand it certainly wont include any schools that would directly compete with them in their own state.

Wondering who the Big 12 is going after to replace NU and CU?

I spoke yesterday with a big BYU supporter and he said their forums and rumors are that the Big 12 is going after them?

I guess I've not paid any attention to what the Big 12 is doing, but told my friend I would post the question here.

Anyone hear that BYU is a possible replacement?

Thanks in advance.

RiverRunner

They are courting failure and dismantlement as a conference.

The Lame 12 will not exist in 5 more years. The whole nation knows that when it is all said and done the 3 best conferences will be the Big Ten(16), PAC-16 and SEC. The ACC will follow along with the Mountain West/Big 12 dinner scraps. The only one they are courting is the PAC-12. I expect UT, OU, OSU and TT to join a real conference and challenge us and the SEC, otherwsie the jokes will only get worse. Ames and Manhattan are prime MWC material and should be treated as such. In the Big Ten we have stepped up to play in a great conference and the Longhorns and Sooners will soon realize the nation thinks they have no real competition now that we moved on to greener pastures and a stable conference. I have some friends in Texas who wish the PAC-16 was already a done deal, because superconferences are gonna happen so we might as well just get it started. The Big Ten wants into the NY market and the SEC has a good idea who they want too. Get it all in place, get our 8 or 10 team playoff started and lets begin the most golden ages for college football with multiple very strong and competitive conferences. We want to challenge the SEC and having the Big Ten and the PAC-16 finish expanding will balance out the powers the best and be good for the whole of college football. :throwdabones1:

Its what ever Texas wants. But TCU has to be one of the biggest front runners. I always thought maybe Arkansas, but I doubt they would leave the SEC.

The Big12-2 isnt going to expand back to 12. UT/OU have the conference by the balls now. Why would OU/UT/aTm want any other Texas schools into their conference? It would only hurt them in recruiting and further legitimize these teams into getting a piece of the BCS pie. Also adding these teams does nothing to increase TV revenue because UT/aTm already bring in the Texas TV sets. The Big12-2 isnt expanding and if they were to expand it certainly wont include any schools that would directly compete with them in their own state.

I really don't see how people think this. If I am a recruit I'm thinking what school can do the most for me (possible NFL or early play time). A Texas HS kid gets offers from Texas and TCU he probably takes Texas, now and in the future. Its not "Wow, TCU is now in the Big 12! I can't wait to go there".

The biggest problem in expanding is having more mouths to feed and each school gets a smaller cut.

I really don't see how people think this. If I am a recruit I'm thinking what school can do the most for me (possible NFL or early play time). A Texas HS kid gets offers from Texas and TCU he probably takes Texas, now and in the future. Its not "Wow, TCU is now in the Big 12! I can't wait to go there".

The biggest problem in expanding is having more mouths to feed and each school gets a smaller cut.

No I don't think TCU or Houston getting BCS-status would affect Texas's recruiting but teams like Tech, Okie Lite, and Baylor would definitely feel it. Competition for Texan 3* would go up significantly. Plus they don't add many viewers since the 12 already owns the state. The screwed-seven would also be the one giving up space on the pie since the big-three have guaranteed shares. I don't see Texan teams getting added and any other additions will be scrutinized heavily since folks will be defensive about risking their share.

No I don't think TCU or Houston getting BCS-status would affect Texas's recruiting but teams like Tech, Okie Lite, and Baylor would definitely feel it. Competition for Texan 3* would go up significantly. Plus they don't add many viewers since the 12 already owns the state. The screwed-seven would also be the one giving up space on the pie since the big-three have guaranteed shares. I don't see Texan teams getting added and any other additions will be scrutinized heavily since folks will be defensive about risking their share.

So we are agreed that it won't hurt the Big 12 since it doesn't hurt Texas. :hookerhorns

PS Who are these schools?: Tech, Okie Lite, and Baylor

Well, it could, if someone wanted a school right next to their home. It'd be probably pretty rare, but its not outside the realm of possibility.

What Texas has to worry about more with the "add TCU/Houston" talk is getting more schools it will be stuck with when the big 12 unravels. What other conference is going to want to take Baylor, Tech, Houston, TCU, Texas, and A&M as a package? They could get themselves stuck politically in an all Texas conference by adding those teams.

Too bad for Boise State pre-mature ejactulation on joining a new conference. They could have further legitimized themselves by joining the Big 12. If, God forbid, another Texas school does not join, then i would agree with a possible BYU union. However; market and travel wise- Cinn., Arkansas, or an Illinois school might make more sense.

with the press confrence coming thursday to announce BYU to independant all other sports wac bound, expect Boise to see if they can retract back to wac, and texas christian to try and join big texas and the nine wenches.(side note if this happens, AFA might go indie as well)

Wondering who the Big 12 is going after to replace NU and CU?

I spoke yesterday with a big BYU supporter and he said their forums and rumors are that the Big 12 is going after them?

I guess I've not paid any attention to what the Big 12 is doing, but told my friend I would post the question here.

Anyone hear that BYU is a possible replacement?

Thanks in advance.

RiverRunner

per people at byu, the big texas and 9 wenches did go after them, but since byu has all the infostructure to do a BYU channel(if you look for it you can find it actually on dish and direct tv) they want nothing to do with big texas and 9 wenches.

I can see them adding more texas schools, like TCU, Houston, SMU, and the like. Probably not Rice, lol.

Or maybe Rice would be good. Like the nerdy brainiac in the fraternity who raises the house GPA.

• Fire 1