QB Race

Just for the record, I don't care who the starting QB is just as long as they can move the ball and put points up on the board while minimizing mistakes.

Martinez does intrigue me though, because I have always preferred elusive QBs and think they are a better fit for most college offenses. Just take a look at what Joe Ganz did. I realize Joe wasn't the best runner in the world, but he was elusive enough to extend plays that broke down early and made them work. That's the type of QB we need to make Watson's system work.

From what I have seen - which haven't been much - I feel Martinez may fit the best, but I don't really know how much his decision making and throwing ability has improved. Hard to say, but at least the QB controversy will make this weekend's game exciting. We are against one of the worst FBS teams in the country. Thanks Steve!!!

Having had about a month of sifting through the hearsay and 'insider reports', the only conclusion that I can come to based on all the evidence is that Taylor is making a serious run at the number 1 spot. The other thing that concerns me is the lack of evidence for Lee––which reporter has passed along a source that said Lee is looking like the starter? Where is ANY shred of evidence that he has grabbed ahold of the job? All of the tittering and twittering is completely in Taylor's favor.

This would mean my earlier prediction is likely wrong. Zac won't be the first to trot out onto the field. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I can think of half a dozen quotes and references off the top of my head that point to Taylor, and not a single one that points to Lee.

Is it Saturday yet?

Having had about a month of sifting through the hearsay and 'insider reports', the only conclusion that I can come to based on all the evidence is that Taylor is making a serious run at the number 1 spot. The other thing that concerns me is the lack of evidence for Lee––which reporter has passed along a source that said Lee is looking like the starter? Where is ANY shred of evidence that he has grabbed ahold of the job? All of the tittering and twittering is completely in Taylor's favor.

This would mean my earlier prediction is likely wrong. Zac won't be the first to trot out onto the field. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I can think of half a dozen quotes and references off the top of my head that point to Taylor, and not a single one that points to Lee.

Is it Saturday yet?

There's a lot of solid reasoning here, but the one caveat I can come up with is that Martinez starting is a bigger story and sells more papers. That's pretty flimsy, so who knows.

I can't wait for Saturday, too.

Regardless of who runs out for that first series, I'll bet there's a pretty good ovation from the crowd. There are plenty of Lee Supporters, Green Supporters, and Martinez Supporters, plus a hefty portion of "I don't care who starts I just want the best player to play" people. I'm in the latter group.

if its true, and i have reason to believe it is, then there are going to be a lot of upset ppl on here

You're probably right, but there shouldn't be any upset people here. The guy who starts is going to be the guy who impressed the coaches the most in practice. If that's Lee or Green or Martinez or Kellogg or Washington or Carnes, what's the difference?

The people who are going to be upset about whichever quarterback starts are the people whose posts I'm most likely to ignore while reading threads. Just because you put a Husker t-shirt on your back doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

I don't know Knapp. Coaches can make wrong decisions, too. It could be the QB that most impresses the coaches, but it could also be a bad decision that the coach will have to answer for. You can go back to Bill Callahan choosing Sam Keller - who won the job, but didn't have the team. That was a part of his downfall. Back then, if someone wasn't happy with the decision, would they have been ignored? Probably, and so were people not happy with Bill Callahan (at least until the USC game and afterwards)...

I love Bo, but he's not faultless or anything. There's room for criticism of his decisions. Message boards tend to have a "if you're a fan, you must agree with the HC always" mentality. For me, I think I'll be pretty skeptical of Bo's decision if he really goes with Martinez...and I'll have to wait for Martinez to prove me wrong. I could well be wrong, but I tend to stick by players I root for and I'm very much in Zac's corner.

if its true, and i have reason to believe it is, then there are going to be a lot of upset ppl on here

You're probably right, but there shouldn't be any upset people here. The guy who starts is going to be the guy who impressed the coaches the most in practice. If that's Lee or Green or Martinez or Kellogg or Washington or Carnes, what's the difference?

The people who are going to be upset about whichever quarterback starts are the people whose posts I'm most likely to ignore while reading threads. Just because you put a Husker t-shirt on your back doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

I don't know Knapp. Coaches can make wrong decisions, too. It could be the QB that most impresses the coaches, but it could also be a bad decision that the coach will have to answer for. You can go back to Bill Callahan choosing Sam Keller - who won the job, but didn't have the team. That was a part of his downfall. Back then, if someone wasn't happy with the decision, would they have been ignored? Probably, and so were people not happy with Bill Callahan (at least until the USC game and afterwards)...

I love Bo, but he's not faultless or anything. There's room for criticism of his decisions. Message boards tend to have a "if you're a fan, you must agree with the HC always" mentality. For me, I think I'll be pretty skeptical of Bo's decision if he really goes with Martinez...and I'll have to wait for Martinez to prove me wrong. I could well be wrong, but I tend to stick by players I root for and I'm very much in Zac's corner.

is getting a little insane why watson does not name the qb,,,,my god, ,,,3 or 4 days till game day, and he still will not name him...they have the guy picked out, bo stated that .....why the hush????

just because you like the player it doesnt mean that he should start. i like Ricky Thenarse but i honestly dont think he is the best man for the job. the coaches see practice and know alot more about the players than ANYONE on huskerboard so i dont see any reason to disagree with their decisions and by all indications Bo is no Callahan.

Coaches make mistakes all the time. If it were me, knowing what I know and not watching practices, I'd start Lee for sure. But even knowing coaches can make mistakes (and having witnessed far too many of them over the past six years) I'm willing to believe that the guy who starts is the guy who's most likely to win us some football games.

just because you like the player it doesnt mean that he should start. i like Ricky Thenarse but i honestly dont think he is the best man for the job. the coaches see practice and know alot more about the players than ANYONE on huskerboard so i dont see any reason to disagree with their decisions and by all indications Bo is no Callahan.

Oh, I know, I'm not saying that. I'm just pointing out my personal attachment to the idea of Zac being a starter, on top of my thinking that he should be.

There are several players who have said that Ganz was the better QB during fall camp of 2007. If you listen to the buzz in this fall camp, there aren't any players talking about Zac Lee. There are several that are talking about T-Magic though.

My guess is that you haven't seen practice. My guess is that you don't have the expertise of our coaches. Why be critical of our coaches if they make the decision that they think is best for the team based on all that they have seen? All that we have seen is a QB that looked good in 3 games last year and pretty crappy in the rest. That same QB threw for 14 TD's and 10 int's, which isn't a very good ratio at all.

If Lee is the starter, I will hope for improvement and support him. If it's Green or Martinez, I will support them as well. I've never rooted for individual players. I want the whichever players that give us the best chance to win to play.

There are several players who have said that Ganz was the better QB during fall camp of 2007. If you listen to the buzz in this fall camp, there aren't any players talking about Zac Lee. There are several that are talking about T-Magic though.

Lee has been getting plenty of praise. Here's just one, the first one that popped into my head:

Receiver Brandon Kinnie said Lee's throws were like a "rocket."

"He was lasering it in there," he said.

Kinnie said Lee assumed a leadership role when he came out for drills.

"I see a different person in him now," Kinnie said.

Lee exudes more confidence, and Kinnie said he was impressed, and surprised, with how Lee has pulled aside teammates and admitted to some of his shortcomings last season, such as a failure to see open receivers.

You're probably right, but there shouldn't be any upset people here. The guy who starts is going to be the guy who impressed the coaches the most in practice.

I would not say COACHES. I would say coach, but it is the only one that really matters.

If Taylor starts, and it seems more and more likely he will, this is completely Bo's decision and his alone. Really gonna be one of the first major decisions Bo has made on his own that can affect his career for the good or the bad.

You're probably right, but there shouldn't be any upset people here. The guy who starts is going to be the guy who impressed the coaches the most in practice.

I would not say COACHES. I would say coach, but it is the only one that really matters.

If Taylor starts, and it seems more and more likely he will, this is completely Bo's decision and his alone. Really gonna be one of the first major decisions Bo has made on his own that can affect his career for the good or the bad.

Right, it's understood that the final decision is always Bo's, but he's not going to go into that decision without input from Watson and the rest of the staff.

Lee's the starter 100%...the ONLY reason Pelini is keeping hush hush about it is because he wants zach lee to stay on his sh#t....now i DO think that taylor martinez will be the #2 man. I actually got to see him play in high school out here in corona, california....the kid's a stud...very mobile. But Zach Lee has had the pressure on him...has taken the hits from big defenses and the media...and I believe is FINALLY ready to walk up to the line with some swagger this year. He's been through the sh#t and can't go through much more...in my opinion...the only direction for Zach Lee is up.

• Fire 1

Lee has been getting plenty of praise. Here's just one, the first one that popped into my head:

Receiver Brandon Kinnie said Lee's throws were like a "rocket."

"He was lasering it in there," he said.

Kinnie said Lee assumed a leadership role when he came out for drills.

"I see a different person in him now," Kinnie said.

Lee exudes more confidence, and Kinnie said he was impressed, and surprised, with how Lee has pulled aside teammates and admitted to some of his shortcomings last season, such as a failure to see open receivers.

I stand corrected.