QB Race

This is like reading a gigantic ode to "The Grass is Greener."

This thread - and ones like it sure to sprout up soon - will be even more entertaining when all the QB's look good in the non-con games. And then when whoever starts has any struggles against any team, the wolves will be out to tear that one down. Should be any interesting season with some part of the fanbase upset over whoever is currently starting.

I completely agree with you.

I dont understand everyones love with Tmart. I know he is talented but to think he his gunna step in and tear up texas or the rest of the big 12 is crazy. And then people will say he will never be any good after he throws a couple picks like green. He has done nothing yet. Its one thing to be talented and have a good camp its another to read a def and make it work in a big game in front of 85,000 people. I think he can be good, same with cody. I think Zac will start and Tmart will have some special plays for him but cody is the #2 if you ask me. Everybody has written him off bc he struggled some during his FRESHMAN year. So did barkley at USC who was the #1 qb in that recruiting class. As did T Pryor his freshman year at ohio State. Just like most freshman will when they play. I just want the guy who will give us the best chance to win this year and that is Zac lee. I would bet money on it that Tmart is not the starter. Anyone who thinks otherwise let me know I will be more than happy to take your money!

The love for Martinez streams from the inadequate 2009 quarterback play, his spring game, and from what "inside" sources say.

This is like reading a gigantic ode to "The Grass is Greener."

This thread - and ones like it sure to sprout up soon - will be even more entertaining when all the QB's look good in the non-con games. And then when whoever starts has any struggles against any team, the wolves will be out to tear that one down. Should be any interesting season with some part of the fanbase upset over whoever is currently starting.

I completely agree with you.

I completely expect nothing less. Its what a forum is for, right?

I dont understand everyones love with Tmart. I know he is talented but to think he his gunna step in and tear up texas or the rest of the big 12 is crazy. And then people will say he will never be any good after he throws a couple picks like green. He has done nothing yet. Its one thing to be talented and have a good camp its another to read a def and make it work in a big game in front of 85,000 people. I think he can be good, same with cody. I think Zac will start and Tmart will have some special plays for him but cody is the #2 if you ask me. Everybody has written him off bc he struggled some during his FRESHMAN year. So did barkley at USC who was the #1 qb in that recruiting class. As did T Pryor his freshman year at ohio State. Just like most freshman will when they play. I just want the guy who will give us the best chance to win this year and that is Zac lee. I would bet money on it that Tmart is not the starter. Anyone who thinks otherwise let me know I will be more than happy to take your money!

The love for Martinez streams from the inadequate 2009 quarterback play, his spring game, and from what "inside" sources say.

K how do you think Martinez would have done last year in the offense? It wasnt just the QB it had alot to do with the line. So do you think he wouldnt have had the deer in the headlights? And the spring game really. how many players have had huge spring games then done nothing. I think he his still 3rd. But I think lee will be on a short leash this year.

My understanding is that the coaches want to see Lee in game situation to see if he is fully back from his injury and that he may be the starter for the rest of the year if he does well, but that T-Mart earned the starting spot at least for the first game with his play in spring and fall camp.

:huh:

Outside of the scrimmage in which Taylor absolutely lit up our defense, he has been the definition of inconsistent. He came back after that scrimmage and had a pretty bad practice where he really struggled passing.

--

As for some other stuff I noticed in the last few pages - Taylor was NOT our scout team QB last year. Ron Kellogg was our scout team QB, and infact, Kellogg won scout team 'MVP' honors for the offense last year.

Taylor spent the majority of last year working at WR.

Also, Taylor WAS recruited as an athlete by us, and not a QB. It's like Dylan Admire telling Rivals that HE had to rethink his commit, when that wasn't the truth at all. Even had quite a few problems about this throughout Taylor's recruitment because he was so dead set on playing QB, even though the coaches tried to speak to him about playing other positions.

• Fire 4

K how do you think Martinez would have done last year in the offense? It wasnt just the QB it had alot to do with the line. So do you think he wouldnt have had the deer in the headlights? And the spring game really. how many players have had huge spring games then done nothing. I think he his still 3rd. But I think lee will be on a short leash this year.

First and foremost, I'm not pro-Martinez or pro-anybody. I was just pointing out where the obsession with him was coming from.

Second, I don't think Taylor would have done any better in the offense, and the coaches obviously agreed by keeping his redshirt intact.

Nebraska will shred Western Kentucky's defense, which last season surrendered a combined 130 points in back-to-back losses to Middle Tennessee and North Texas. Redshirt freshman Taylor Martinez will run wild, and sophomore Cody Green also will impress with his improved poise and grasp of the playbook. All three QBs will look good.

What will it mean? Not much. The drama will continue indefinitely.

However, because I believe Bo Pelini wants his quarterback to be a consistently potent runner, I think Nebraska eventually will turn to Martinez or Green, and I lean toward Martinez. The question is, when? The bottom line, the situation will test Pelini's management skills as a head coach. How well Bo handles the test might be the foremost factor in determining whether the Huskers remain a nice Holiday Bowl-type outfit or become a BCS bowl team.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_b9d85dc6-b3d2-11df-ad52-001cc4c03286.html

First and foremost, I'm not pro-Martinez or pro-anybody. I was just pointing out where the obsession with him was coming from.

Second, I don't think Taylor would have done any better in the offense, and the coaches obviously agreed by keeping his redshirt intact.

Me either I just want the QB that will give us the best chance to win and I think it is Lee or Green but to get Tmart on the field bc he is so athletic. Sean Callahan said in the RSS live chat that he has heard that Cody Green has made a push late. If Lee struggles or gets hurt I think green is the starter but they will still get Tmart 5 to 10 plays a game. Which should make for a huge QB battle next year with both probably getting experience this year. Personally I think that Tmart would be such a weapon at WR but i dont see that happening unless he does not win the job next year.

i think it was gmoose who said this earlier, but i do not remember, i do remember it being a great point. if t-mart is the starting qb, we take paul, mcneil, kinnie, and almost everyone other than helu and burkhead out of the equation on offense. he maybe be the better athlete, but he will not be better at distributing the ball than LEE. and we have a strong enough backfield that we do not necessarily need a qb who can run. burkhead can run the wildcat with helu, and then LEE can pass or hand off the ball. he may not be the best qb on the team, but he might be the best for the team. too bad green was not a better passer, then he would be the perfect guy right in between lee and t-mart.

Yes, LEE "distributed" endless 3 & outs all last year. I'm guessing Green or Tmart could hand the ball off too.

The only thing that is endless is your blaming of Lee for all of the offensive woes last year. I can think of one three (at va tech) where lee had one touchdown pass dropped, anothr called back for holding, next thng you know a 1st and goal form the one has turned inot 4th and goal from the 41 with noting to do with Lee. However you keep mentioning the 3 and outs like it was all Lee's fault. I can't wait for the season to start so I no longer have to read coments like the one above. I woudl asume that almost 50% of your posts either take a shot at either Lee or Watson.

Please show me "one" post where I blamed everything on Lee. There simply isn't one. Of course he wasn't all the problem.

I just don't understand why the hardcore denial of his poor performance. I just don't get it. Why wouldn't we want to have a qb who moves the offense? If it was a Gill, Frost, Frazier, Crouch, etc that was returning I could see and understand the attitude.

NU needs to move the ball this year. We can't expect to win ten or more games this year punting the ball anywhere near as frequently as we did last year. The odds are way against that.

I too am tired of hearing the excuses that justify a repeat of last year. Tmart/Green "can't pass" or "distribute" the ball. Based on what? Even "if" that was true, could it be worse than last year's 101st rated pass offense? While possible, I highly doubt it.

There's negative thoughts flying both ways. Pretending there isn't doesn't change anything. Whoever wins the starting spot I'll back 100%. I just think if Tmart or Green wins it the results will be good and progress through the year will be better & better.

Bottom line...for NU to be great, we need a great qb.

Because Bama had a great QB last year... Right? And as far as your "one" post, someone already took care of that....

• Fire 1

bo knows what he is doing and i trust his decision on this completely,,, i personally feel that zac gets the start t-mart the 2 role at the start but he will take over as soon as the offense starts to struggle which it probably will

Why wait? We should start the guy with the most potential to take us to where we want to go. If TMart or CGreen is that guy, the first two games will be important for them to get over the jitters and work on game management skills of an actual game situation. Letting Lee get the most snaps and then putting the newish guy in when we need a spark at UW or the Big 12 conference games would be a mistake. Since the coaches know who the starter is, I imagine one wouldn't have to hang around practice very long to figure out who the #1 is. Especially if it is one of the youngens, they are probably being prepared with a lot of the reps in practice. :throwdabones1:

Nebraska will shred Western Kentucky's defense, which last season surrendered a combined 130 points in back-to-back losses to Middle Tennessee and North Texas. Redshirt freshman Taylor Martinez will run wild, and sophomore Cody Green also will impress with his improved poise and grasp of the playbook. All three QBs will look good.

What will it mean? Not much. The drama will continue indefinitely.

However, because I believe Bo Pelini wants his quarterback to be a consistently potent runner, I think Nebraska eventually will turn to Martinez or Green, and I lean toward Martinez. The question is, when? The bottom line, the situation will test Pelini's management skills as a head coach. How well Bo handles the test might be the foremost factor in determining whether the Huskers remain a nice Holiday Bowl-type outfit or become a BCS bowl team.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_b9d85dc6-b3d2-11df-ad52-001cc4c03286.html

OH STEVEN SIPPLE :facepalm: , Bo, Shawn, and the entire staff want the quarterback that will give us the best shot of winning games...no matter their style of play or running/passing skillset. The guy could be a stonefooted pocket passer or a electric runner or both or somewhere in between. Dear Sipple and Nebraska fanbase, please stop projecting your own stylistic preferences onto the Head Coach! Thank you.

P.S. Among other things that are not part of Bo's master plan is a 'return to option offense'...