QB Race

FINALLY, I got someone to speak...

T-Mart will start, but Lee will play the majority of the game if Martinez looks decent.

The coaches will evaluate after the first game to decide who starts the next 2 (which includes UW) then avaluate again.

After the first game, they will try to ride their #1 pretty hard so that the o can develop a rhythm.

That's all I know at this point.

That doesn't make much sense. If they were going with Martinez as the starter and he looks decent he should play the majority of the game not Lee. He needs the reps and game experience if he's going to be our starter and Lee doesn't.

My understanding is that the coaches want to see Lee in game situation to see if he is fully back from his injury and that he may be the starter for the rest of the year if he does well, but that T-Mart earned the starting spot at least for the first game with his play in spring and fall camp.

Interesting. I wonder if the coaches are willing to keep starting Martinez or if this is just a way to reward him and to tell him to stick it out for one more year while Lee finishes up this season as the starter...Either way, I hope Martinez plays so well they don't have the option of taking him out of the game. I hope he proves to be that good.

Less than 1 week. Should be a fun week.

FINALLY, I got someone to speak...

T-Mart will start, but Lee will play the majority of the game if Martinez looks decent.

The coaches will evaluate after the first game to decide who starts the next 2 (which includes UW) then avaluate again.

After the first game, they will try to ride their #1 pretty hard so that the o can develop a rhythm.

That's all I know at this point.

That doesn't make much sense. If they were going with Martinez as the starter and he looks decent he should play the majority of the game not Lee. He needs the reps and game experience if he's going to be our starter and Lee doesn't.

My understanding is that the coaches want to see Lee in game situation to see if he is fully back from his injury and that he may be the starter for the rest of the year if he does well, but that T-Mart earned the starting spot at least for the first game with his play in spring and fall camp.

Interesting. I wonder if the coaches are willing to keep starting Martinez or if this is just a way to reward him and to tell him to stick it out for one more year while Lee finishes up this season as the starter...Either way, I hope Martinez plays so well they don't have the option of taking him out of the game. I hope he proves to be that good.

Less than 1 week. Should be a fun week.

the problem is that good against wku, idaho, and sdsu is not the same as good against tu, ou, and even mizzou.

TMart starts.....wow....there's going to be boatloads of "shocked" internet experts then. :hellloooo

It makes sense to me. I thought it wouldn't happen until BigXII play. So glad to be wrong! :koolaid2: Bo's just not satisfied with last year's 3 & out "game management" machine. I say more power to him!

Lee's still in the hunt as he should be. He would and I think will be an excellent backup. With Green, we're loaded with experienced backups which is a good thing.

Oh yeah....let the good times roll! :corndance

GBR!!

I keep remembering this.

State Champion team, MVP of team and the state Offensive player of the year, not in Nebraska, Maine, North Dakota, but California. At least the third most fertile state for talent in the country. Texas and Florida get the nod but my guess is that there is more talent distributed through out the state due to population talent.

This kid is the real deal. Will he be our starter, no idea, but to think he is behind any of the six mentioned makes me wonder. We need to see him play

Others are proven, but I remember a freshman starting some years back and well we know what happened.

I still think Lee is the starter, but would not be surprised if Martinez is close. He has the heart and the determination obviously.

Lee has the knowledge of the system and experience and if they are even, he still gets my vote due to having the opportunity to rectify last year. :bigredn:

I think Tim Tebow won a few awards at the college level in the SEC no less, yet he's the third string QB behind Brady Quinn in the NFL. Previously accolades can mean very little when one moves up to the next level. Especially at quarterback. Remember, Martinez wasn't even recruited to play QB.

Neither was Tommie Frazier....

We recruited Frazier to play quarterback. It was other schools like Miami, FSU, et al that wanted him as a DB.

incorrect. Frazier was recruited as a QB that could also play DB if Qb didnt work out, same thing as Martinez...both seem to be working out so far...

That sounds a lot like what I said lol..

First and foremost, Frazier was recruited to play QB. Rawhide appeared to be asserting we recruited Frazier to play DB first, which we did not. Osborne even talks about it in an article I read a few weeks ago. Can't seem to find the link, but if I do I will post.

I'm with sd'sker on this one. Everyones "master plan" for the QB's strongly relies on TMart to get his experience in the non conference schedule and then be ready for the rest of the year. The problem is all those schools defenses are nothing like the QB's will see in BigXII play. They are junk and in no way reflects a Texas, Mizzou or even KState, hell Washington won't give them a decent look.

Cody Green looked really good last year against the Sun Belt junior varsity teams and that had many on this board to scream for him to start. TMart hasn't shown any of us a thing this fall except how some "insider's" tale of his feats in practice have been stretched to the widths of our imaginations as it has gone down the grapevine.

Honestly neither TMart or Green blew me away in the Spring Game. Cody was the better passer, TMart the smoother runner. As of now Lee has the ball first drive this Saturday and I'll have to go with Bo on the rest of the playing time in the games and the year.

I keep remembering this.

State Champion team, MVP of team and the state Offensive player of the year, not in Nebraska, Maine, North Dakota, but California. At least the third most fertile state for talent in the country. Texas and Florida get the nod but my guess is that there is more talent distributed through out the state due to population talent.

This kid is the real deal. Will he be our starter, no idea, but to think he is behind any of the six mentioned makes me wonder. We need to see him play

Others are proven, but I remember a freshman starting some years back and well we know what happened.

I still think Lee is the starter, but would not be surprised if Martinez is close. He has the heart and the determination obviously.

Lee has the knowledge of the system and experience and if they are even, he still gets my vote due to having the opportunity to rectify last year. :bigredn:

I think Tim Tebow won a few awards at the college level in the SEC no less, yet he's the third string QB behind Brady Quinn in the NFL. Previously accolades can mean very little when one moves up to the next level. Especially at quarterback. Remember, Martinez wasn't even recruited to play QB.

Neither was Tommie Frazier....

We recruited Frazier to play quarterback. It was other schools like Miami, FSU, et al that wanted him as a DB.

incorrect. Frazier was recruited as a QB that could also play DB if Qb didnt work out, same thing as Martinez...both seem to be working out so far...

That sounds a lot like what I said lol..

First and foremost, Frazier was recruited to play QB. Rawhide appeared to be asserting we recruited Frazier to play DB first, which we did not. Osborne even talks about it in an article I read a few weeks ago. Can't seem to find the link, but if I do I will post.

my bad sir, clicked on the wrong reply button

Please stop with this myth. It's entirely untrue.

???

It is entirely true. In fact even as of bowl practices last year Martinez was not working at QB. Had our QB depth not been what it was, his supposed "shot" would have been a token one. There was even some speculation that a school might throw an offer for QB at him late to try and steal him from us, but it never materialized.

???

It is entirely true. In fact even as of bowl practices last year Martinez was not working at QB. Had our QB depth not been what it was, his supposed "shot" would have been a token one. There was even some speculation that a school might throw an offer for QB at him late to try and steal him from us, but it never materialized.

What do you call being scout team quarterback then?

This kid who was just along for the ride? Played from the 2nd game to the end with an injury to his throwing arm. Biting the bullet and doing the best job he could. Do you really believe that no one on the team knew he was hurt? The coaches, the doctors and all the players knew nothing of this injury? Or did they all know from day one. The kid leads by action, desire, loyalty and love of Nebraska. And we as fans seem to throw him under the bus everytime we get the opportunity.

He may not be the best QB, but he was obviously the best we had last year. My guess is he will be again this year, and hopefully, for the type of person he is, he plays as some demand him to.

• Fire 1

Landlord, if we had Witt and Spano healthy, I don't think Taylor would have remained scout team QB for very long. Wasn't his 'shot' at QB extended because of our scary depth situation that also saw a linebacker move to QB?

Anyways, if you go back to the recruiting thread I think it's pretty clear that we were not recruiting him as a QB.

Landlord, if we had Witt and Spano healthy, I don't think Taylor would have remained scout team QB for very long. Wasn't his 'shot' at QB extended because of our scary depth situation that also saw a linebacker move to QB?

Anyways, if you go back to the recruiting thread I think it's pretty clear that we were not recruiting him as a QB.

I'm with zoogies on this one.

All the talk about Martinez when he first came here was being recruited to play DB, but that he still wanted a fair shot at quarterback if the opportunity ever arose.

But, he was recruited to play DB more-so than he was quarterback.

???

thats not true. he was recruited as a qb that could play DB if QB didnt work out...

???

thats not true. he was recruited as a qb that could play DB if QB didnt work out...

Again, I must urge you to go back and look at his recruiting profile and read his older recruiting articles.

He was specifically recruited as an athlete. More specifically, he was recruited with the intent to play on the defense. However, he had always said that he wanted a shot at quarterback if one arose.

LINK to rivals page.

• Fire 1