QB Race

Big Willie laughed about this a page or three ago. Rumor was that Martinez had left the program on that mysterious day, and just a short time later he was rumored to be the starter. Now that rumor is gaining momentum daily. Funny how the rumor mill works.

There is one good thing about this whole QB debate, though. We're one week from the season opener and I have yet to see one thread asking, "When will Bo give out the Blackshirts" around here.

hrm...im pretty sure i saw one recently. might have been inside another thread, but i remember a bunch of guessing going on. :throwdabones1:

Big Willie laughed about this a page or three ago. Rumor was that Martinez had left the program on that mysterious day, and just a short time later he was rumored to be the starter. Now that rumor is gaining momentum daily. Funny how the rumor mill works.

There is one good thing about this whole QB debate, though. We're one week from the season opener and I have yet to see one thread asking, "When will Bo give out the Blackshirts" around here.

you tempt me knapplc.

I had an epiphany today. Let's (generously) assume Martinez is the 6th best play maker on offense, behind Roy, Rex, Niles, Kinnie, and McNeil. If he's QB, he'll be getting a lot more designed run, and we'll run the ball more. Which means our top 5 playmakers will be getting the ball less. With more QB runs and RB runs, that means that Niles (arguably our best playmaker on O) will be seeing less amount of action out of anyone.

So why would we put the ball in he hands of our 6th best offensive weapon more, and give less opportunity to out best playmaker?

I submit we put Lee in at QB and let him distribute the ball to all of our best playmakers.

• Fire 3

I had an epiphany today. Let's (generously) assume Martinez is the 6th best play maker on offense, behind Roy, Rex, Niles, Kinnie, and McNeil. If he's QB, he'll be getting a lot more designed run, and we'll run the ball more. Which means our top 5 playmakers will be getting the ball less. With more QB runs and RB runs, that means that Niles (arguably our best playmaker on O) will be seeing less amount of action out of anyone.

So why would we put the ball in he hands of our 6th best offensive weapon more, and give less opportunity to out best playmaker?

I submit we put Lee in at QB and let him distribute the ball to all of our best playmakers.

Very valid. We don't know a thing about him though and he could turn out to be a such of a running threat which would in turn make it easier to get the ball into Niles/Kinnie/McNeil's hands. :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

Yes, the Rivals staff is saying they think Martinez will be our starting quarterback.

If it were me, I would run Burkhead out of the wildcat for the first series just to have fun with the media and fans laugh2.gif

the kids gonna be the starter when its all said and done. Last year no one thought he was even going to get a chance to be a QB and now he has passed up Cody and is on LEE's heals?....he must be doing something special. Even all the "experts" on here were saying he had no shot and was going to be playing D or WR. Now all the sudden he might be our starter. Kids gotta be doing something great. Let the best player play..you know BO will

Gee.....what a surprise.

I guess Bo wasn't impressed with our 10,000 3 & outs ("game management") last year. Who would have thunk? :dunno

Yes, the Rivals staff is saying they think Martinez will be our starting quarterback.

If it were me, I would run Burkhead out of the wildcat for the first series just to have fun with the media and fans laugh2.gif

the kids gonna be the starter when its all said and done. Last year no one thought he was even going to get a chance to be a QB and now he has passed up Cody and is on LEE's heals?....he must be doing something special. Even all the "experts" on here were saying he had no shot and was going to be playing D or WR. Now all the sudden he might be our starter. Kids gotta be doing something great. Let the best player play..you know BO will

Gee.....what a surprise.

I guess Bo wasn't impressed with our 10,000 3 & outs ("game management") last year. Who would have thunk? :dunno

Has nothing to do with last season. Has everything to do with Taylor Martinez having a great fall camp.

we need to get that first game started.....THEN we will have something to talk about.....

I keep staring at my tickets on the wall, just waiting. I'm cringing at the thought of this next week and all of the crap I have to do, but Husker football will totally be worth it come Saturday.

You know what happens when you assume gmoose :LOLtartar

like skerchicago said he can open them up to get the ball more. They will have to account for taylor and focus on him more. A few of our DB's were praising him in the spring about adding a whole new dimension to our offense having to account for him. Really we have only saw him play in the spring so how can we assume that he is the 6th best when before the spring he wasnt even said to be in the running for QB... now all the sudden hes getting some starting QB rumor love?

But i do see your point and if taylor isnt a big time difference maker like im hoping he can be, then we are better of letting lee manage the game and let the big dogs eat and taylor can contribute. To me it just seems like this kid is going to be on the field alot..some how some way.

I keep remembering this.

State Champion team, MVP of team and the state Offensive player of the year, not in Nebraska, Maine, North Dakota, but California. At least the third most fertile state for talent in the country. Texas and Florida get the nod but my guess is that there is more talent distributed through out the state due to population talent.

This kid is the real deal. Will he be our starter, no idea, but to think he is behind any of the six mentioned makes me wonder. We need to see him play

Others are proven, but I remember a freshman starting some years back and well we know what happened.

I still think Lee is the starter, but would not be surprised if Martinez is close. He has the heart and the determination obviously.

Lee has the knowledge of the system and experience and if they are even, he still gets my vote due to having the opportunity to rectify last year. :bigredn:

• Fire 1

I keep remembering this.

State Champion team, MVP of team and the state Offensive player of the year, not in Nebraska, Maine, North Dakota, but California. At least the third most fertile state for talent in the country. Texas and Florida get the nod but my guess is that there is more talent distributed through out the state due to population talent.

This kid is the real deal. Will he be our starter, no idea, but to think he is behind any of the six mentioned makes me wonder. We need to see him play

These honors would all justify his scholarship offer, but not yet a starting position obviously. I would not call him the real deal yet until he straps it up and helps us beat a big-time conference/non-conference opponent. Not WKU or Idaho.