QB Race

Look guys, I have supported Lee since last year after finding out about his injury. I want that senior mentality on the field.

But if a freshman is running to close to call, blah blah he is doing pretty good.

But here's the thing: how do we know these things are running "too close to call"?

We have heard literally nothing from any coach about the situation. All we have is what "inside sources" have given us and what "speculation" has given us.

How can we trust any of that? How do we know these inside sources know what they're talking about?

I'm not saying Martinez isn't a good player, I'm not saying Green isn't a good player, and I'm not saying Lee is the definite starter. All I'm saying is that we know nothing about the situation and only really have a right to make our choices and our own guesses.

The only thing we have on Martinez is some good plays in a Spring game and what "inside" sources have said. That's not enough for us to say Martinez is on the verge of starting. I'm starting to get convinced some reporters are just pushing Martinez so they can be the "first that said it".

Look guys, I have supported Lee since last year after finding out about his injury. I want that senior mentality on the field.

But if a freshman is running to close to call, blah blah he is doing pretty good.

But here's the thing: how do we know these things are running "too close to call"?

We have heard literally nothing from any coach about the situation. All we have is what "inside sources" have given us and what "speculation" has given us.

How can we trust any of that? How do we know these inside sources know what they're talking about?

I'm not saying Martinez isn't a good player, I'm not saying Green isn't a good player, and I'm not saying Lee is the definite starter. All I'm saying is that we know nothing about the situation and only really have a right to make our choices and our own guesses.

The only thing we have on Martinez is some good plays in a Spring game and what "inside" sources have said. That's not enough for us to say Martinez is on the verge of starting. I'm starting to get convinced some reporters are just pushing Martinez so they can be the "first that said it".

Agreed. Replace "Martinez" with "Green" and you have 2009 all over again.

Agree with Enhance. A lot of people who cover the team in the media have their own horses in the QB race, and Lee is by far the boring pick. Guys like Sipple and Sean Callahan are touting Martinez, banking on the fact that even if they aren't right this year, there will be some QB controversy generated and Martinez might make a flashy play or two, and he might take over next year and they'll be the guys who were the first to notice him.

All these reports of an outstanding camp...I'll believe it when I see it. One thing's for sure though, Martinez ain't no Crouch running the ball.

Huh? What's up with that zoogies?

I agree he probably isn't as quick or fast as Crouch. Who is? But relative to Lee he's absolutely greased lightning.

Just watched Brion Carnes highlight vid on you tube again. He could be starter by years end.

I said it first.

If you look a couple of posts above apparently Carnes is going to red shirt this year! I like Carnes too. (Also can't wait to see Bubba Starling)

Wasnt it pretty much a given that Carnes was going to redshirt??? Carnes doesnt know the offense enough to even be considered for playing time.

I agree he probably isn't as quick or fast as Crouch. Who is? But relative to Lee he's absolutely greased lightning.

Oh, I just mentioned that at the end because I was watching some old Crouch highlights. I remember watching Martinez's spring game highlights before and thinking, wow, we haven't seen that since Crouch. But then I watched him and Crouch one after another and thought, Martinez might be closer to Ganz than he is to Crouch. At least, in terms of athleticism. Crouch was just flat nuts. Mart looks like an instinctive runner though.

Agree with Enhance. A lot of people who cover the team in the media have their own horses in the QB race, and Lee is by far the boring pick. Guys like Sipple and Sean Callahan are touting Martinez, banking on the fact that even if they aren't right this year, there will be some QB controversy generated and Martinez might make a flashy play or two, and he might take over next year and they'll be the guys who were the first to notice him.

All these reports of an outstanding camp...I'll believe it when I see it. One thing's for sure though, Martinez ain't no Crouch running the ball.

A true option QB. We aren't running an option system like we did then, so why do we need someone who runs the ball like Crouch? Lee's mobility is fine if he can manage the game similar to a Ganz. God, wasn't it Ganz senior year when people were talking about how much more mobile Lee was? Who cares if Martinez is lightning fast if he can't get the job done? It's not like we're talking about Byron Leftwich here... The guy can actually move around.

I keep remembering this.

State Champion team, MVP of team and the state Offensive player of the year, not in Nebraska, Maine, North Dakota, but California. At least the third most fertile state for talent in the country. Texas and Florida get the nod but my guess is that there is more talent distributed through out the state due to population talent.

This kid is the real deal. Will he be our starter, no idea, but to think he is behind any of the six mentioned makes me wonder. We need to see him play

Others are proven, but I remember a freshman starting some years back and well we know what happened.

I still think Lee is the starter, but would not be surprised if Martinez is close. He has the heart and the determination obviously.

Lee has the knowledge of the system and experience and if they are even, he still gets my vote due to having the opportunity to rectify last year. :bigredn:

I think Tim Tebow won a few awards at the college level in the SEC no less, yet he's the third string QB behind Brady Quinn in the NFL. Previously accolades can mean very little when one moves up to the next level. Especially at quarterback. Remember, Martinez wasn't even recruited to play QB.

Neither was Tommie Frazier....

I keep remembering this.

State Champion team, MVP of team and the state Offensive player of the year, not in Nebraska, Maine, North Dakota, but California. At least the third most fertile state for talent in the country. Texas and Florida get the nod but my guess is that there is more talent distributed through out the state due to population talent.

This kid is the real deal. Will he be our starter, no idea, but to think he is behind any of the six mentioned makes me wonder. We need to see him play

Others are proven, but I remember a freshman starting some years back and well we know what happened.

I still think Lee is the starter, but would not be surprised if Martinez is close. He has the heart and the determination obviously.

Lee has the knowledge of the system and experience and if they are even, he still gets my vote due to having the opportunity to rectify last year. :bigredn:

I think Tim Tebow won a few awards at the college level in the SEC no less, yet he's the third string QB behind Brady Quinn in the NFL. Previously accolades can mean very little when one moves up to the next level. Especially at quarterback. Remember, Martinez wasn't even recruited to play QB.

We recruited Frazier to play quarterback. It was other schools like Miami, FSU, et al that wanted him as a DB.

I guess we'll all find out about the same time! :hellloooo Is it scary that a senior is being pushed by a rs freshman or is it great that a rs freshman is pushing a senior for the starting spot? I'm leaning to the fact that TMart will be the starter by K State. Cody Green will red shirt and be a tight end next year. And wouldn't it be nice to have Washington back as a linebacker now? That was a waste of some real talent for a couple of plays in mop up action. Lee starts Saturday is my prediction. He's capable off leading us to the Big 12 north title. But do we need more to win the whole bananna? :corndance

I keep remembering this.

Cali, Florida and Texas are the top 3 recruiting spots but I think they are all about even if you had to rank them. 1A, 1B, 1C and no. 4. So the awards won by T Mart are legit in terms of him doing it in California for a state Championship team and for a nationally ranked school. It was 15-0 and beat De La Salle for the State Championship. I think they finished top 10 in the nation. This QB was playing in front of 100 people in a rural country town. He was leading a big time team, one that was one of the best in the nation.

I keep remembering this.

We recruited Frazier to play quarterback. It was other schools like Miami, FSU, et al that wanted him as a DB.

Yes, I believe Clemson was the only other school to recruit him at QB.

I keep remembering this.

incorrect. Frazier was recruited as a QB that could also play DB if Qb didnt work out, same thing as Martinez...both seem to be working out so far...