QB Race

I think Tim Tebow won a few awards at the college level in the SEC no less, yet he's the third string QB behind Brady Quinn in the NFL. Previously accolades can mean very little when one moves up to the next level. Especially at quarterback. Remember, Martinez wasn't even recruited to play QB.

Please stop with this myth. It's entirely untrue.

???

It is entirely true. In fact even as of bowl practices last year Martinez was not working at QB. Had our QB depth not been what it was, his supposed "shot" would have been a token one. There was even some speculation that a school might throw an offer for QB at him late to try and steal him from us, but it never materialized.

thats not true. he was recruited as a qb that could play DB if QB didnt work out...

Again, I must urge you to go back and look at his recruiting profile and read his older recruiting articles.

He was specifically recruited as an athlete. More specifically, he was recruited with the intent to play on the defense. However, he had always said that he wanted a shot at quarterback if one arose.

LINK to rivals page.

Yes, it was all about the depth issue. It was the same reason LTW moved from LB. We had some serious depth issues, remember LTW was 2nd string at LB and they still moved him to "give him a shot"

• Fire 1

FINALLY, I got someone to speak...

T-Mart will start, but Lee will play the majority of the game if Martinez looks decent.

The coaches will evaluate after the first game to decide who starts the next 2 (which includes UW) then avaluate again.

After the first game, they will try to ride their #1 pretty hard so that the o can develop a rhythm.

That's all I know at this point.

What exactly was it that your "sources" told you last year? Don't remember for sure...

1. Cody would start the Baylor game

2. Carnes would commit to us

3. Wildcat would be used in the bowl game

4. we would burn tray's redshirt

5. Lee had an injury (said that in october)

I never saw you say anything about Lee or the Wildcat, but as far as the other 3 go.... We had literally no choice on Tray... Carnes I call bs.. Because i was talking to LTW DURING Carnes' visit while they were out together and he said he couldn't get a read on what was going on for sure whether or not he'd come. And as I said earlier, the Cody thing wasn't just you saying that.. So 2 of 5 isn't bad.. but even IBR found a nut or two before disappearing...

I think Tim Tebow won a few awards at the college level in the SEC no less, yet he's the third string QB behind Brady Quinn in the NFL. Previously accolades can mean very little when one moves up to the next level. Especially at quarterback. Remember, Martinez wasn't even recruited to play QB.

???

It is entirely true. In fact even as of bowl practices last year Martinez was not working at QB. Had our QB depth not been what it was, his supposed "shot" would have been a token one. There was even some speculation that a school might throw an offer for QB at him late to try and steal him from us, but it never materialized.

thats not true. he was recruited as a qb that could play DB if QB didnt work out...

Again, I must urge you to go back and look at his recruiting profile and read his older recruiting articles.

He was specifically recruited as an athlete. More specifically, he was recruited with the intent to play on the defense. However, he had always said that he wanted a shot at quarterback if one arose.

LINK to rivals page.

trust me i know what was said, and you are correct he was an "athlete" according to rivals/scout etc. but the coaching staff specifically recruited him as a QB that could play DB if QB didnt work out. he got his first shot at QB and despite popular opinion he also played scout team QB splitting time with Ron Kellog depending on the QB that they were preparing for and when he wasnt playing scout team QB he was playing scout team WR mimicking guys like kerry meier.

???

LINK to rivals page.

trust me i know what was said, and you are correct he was an "athlete" according to rivals/scout etc. but the coaching staff specifically recruited him as a QB that could play DB if QB didnt work out. he got his first shot at QB and despite popular opinion he also played scout team QB splitting time with Ron Kellog depending on the QB that they were preparing for and when he wasnt playing scout team QB he was playing scout team WR mimicking guys like kerry meier.

Direct quote from Taylor Martinez per rivals.

"He said they still don't know which side of the ball they're going to play me on when I get to Lincoln. It will probably be safety but I'll play wherever they want me. I just want to be able to help the team out."

LINK

Another quote from Martinez.

"I talked to coach Watson, the quarterbacks coach, and I talked to him about playing quarterback," Martinez said. "When I get out there, I'm going to start at quarterback and if I don't work out with that, I'll move over to safety."

LINK

As you can see, we are both right. Originally, he was recruited as a DB. Switched to QB before joining the team.

• Fire 3

Direct quote from Taylor Martinez per rivals.

"He said they still don't know which side of the ball they're going to play me on when I get to Lincoln. It will probably be safety but I'll play wherever they want me. I just want to be able to help the team out."

LINK

Another quote from Martinez.

"I talked to coach Watson, the quarterbacks coach, and I talked to him about playing quarterback," Martinez said. "When I get out there, I'm going to start at quarterback and if I don't work out with that, I'll move over to safety."

LINK

As you can see, we are both right. Originally, he was recruited as a DB. Switched to QB before joining the team.

And I specifically know of conversations on the Scout RZ board about him being talked about as QB FIRST. DB was the backup plan. He may have been labeled as an "athlete" but that's because he COULD play multiple positions.

I'm with sd'sker on this one. Everyones "master plan" for the QB's strongly relies on TMart to get his experience in the non conference schedule and then be ready for the rest of the year. The problem is all those schools defenses are nothing like the QB's will see in BigXII play. They are junk and in no way reflects a Texas, Mizzou or even KState, hell Washington won't give them a decent look.

Cody Green looked really good last year against the Sun Belt junior varsity teams and that had many on this board to scream for him to start. TMart hasn't shown any of us a thing this fall except how some "insider's" tale of his feats in practice have been stretched to the widths of our imaginations as it has gone down the grapevine.

Honestly neither TMart or Green blew me away in the Spring Game. Cody was the better passer, TMart the smoother runner. As of now Lee has the ball first drive this Saturday and I'll have to go with Bo on the rest of the playing time in the games and the year.

Well your worrying about a qb that if he looks good against bad team might not look good against good team?

Well we already know Lee looked bad against the missou, Texas and K State of the world so what is there really to worry about, since Nebraska can always go back to Zac (lack of production) Lee.

This kid who was just along for the ride? Played from the 2nd game to the end with an injury to his throwing arm. Biting the bullet and doing the best job he could. Do you really believe that no one on the team knew he was hurt? The coaches, the doctors and all the players knew nothing of this injury? Or did they all know from day one. The kid leads by action, desire, loyalty and love of Nebraska. And we as fans seem to throw him under the bus everytime we get the opportunity.

He may not be the best QB, but he was obviously the best we had last year. My guess is he will be again this year, and hopefully, for the type of person he is, he plays as some demand him to.

This is what I've been singing for months. Some on here seem to think it was "not a big deal" and that this injury was somehow not the reason for the poor play. These people have obviously never played a position that focuses on one area of the body, let alone injured that body part bad enough to require surgery, and then had the nuts to have still played EVERY GAME.

Oh, and please, don't give me this "he was a poor runner, poor thrower, couldn't move the offense" crap. If that is your contention, and you still are clinging to a injury requiring surgery "wasn't that big of deal", maybe a dismantled and depleted offensive line was.

I was critical of Lee last year as well, wanted to try Green. We did, Lee was better, that's simple. What I didn't know is that Lee was better WITHOUT A THROWING ARM. Think about that for a second.

His wrist was injured bad enough to require surgery. He played through that pain, changing the way he did everything to make up for it. As a result of this, he tears a ligament in his elbow. HIS WRIST AND ELBOW WERE BOTH INJURED ON HIS THROWING ARM and he proved he was better than anybody else. Good Lord people, wake up and put down the recruiting hype.

I seem to remember another QB leading NU to a 10 win season with an underperforming offense and a great defense. Fans were chanting for his backup as well saying some of the same things we are hearing now, then NU went to Washington early in the season and this QB had a coming out party. Scott Frost only led NU to the National Championship.

while i agree that Lee played through a somewhat difficult injury, if it was REALLY THAT BAD, he simply would not have been able to play at all.......think about that and the fact the running game was heavily relied on for the majority of the season....just something to think about regarding last year. this season the excuses, that we know of, are gone. let's see how things develop from here. i wish nothing but success for Lee.

while i agree that Lee played through a somewhat difficult injury, if it was REALLY THAT BAD, he simply would not have been able to play at all.......think about that and the fact the running game was heavily relied on for the majority of the season....just something to think about regarding last year. this season the excuses, that we know of, are gone. let's see how things develop from here. i wish nothing but success for Lee.

I agree, but everybody acts like he isn't going to improve at all after another year and a surgically repaired throwing arm. They are basing everything on last year, and...oh nevermind.

I just get sick of the "back up QB" clan.

I agree, but everybody acts like he isn't going to improve at all after another year and a surgically repaired throwing arm. They are basing everything on last year, and...oh nevermind.

i understand completely, let's sit back, relax and give the kid a real chance.

i understand completely, let's sit back, relax and give the kid a real chance.

Exactly what I was trying to say, but much more concise!

GO BIG RED!

???

This.

He was a distant 3rd going into fall camp. Since he "missed" that practice that friday he made a HUGE jump. He had a tremendous camp.

???

This.

He was a distant 3rd going into fall camp. Since he "missed" that practice that friday he made a HUGE jump. He had a tremendous camp.

Um, no. Not "this." Martinez was the scout Team QB last year, just like Zac Lee, Joe Ganz, and Sam Keller have all been.