MU tailback Derrick Washington suspended

While it's not directly about NU this news could certainly have implications in our thrown-down with MU in a few weeks.

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/1098

Missouri has confirmed that starting tailback and team captain Derrick Washington has been suspended indefinitely.

Team spokesman Chad Moller - just prior to MU's last public practice of the pre-season - said Missouri Coach Gary Pinkel expected to address the situation following Thursday afternoon's scrimmage.

However, if Pinkel follows his normal stance on disciplinary action, he will not reveal the reason for Washington's suspension.

Washington, a prolific poster on social media accounts, gave no clue as to what might be the cause of the suspension.

However, his final two posts on Twitter.com were:

About noon on Thursday: "Class, class, class."

And about on Wednesday night:

"God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect."

Washington has been exuberant throughout August practices, having discovered a new gear in his running game after dropping ten pounds and his percentage of body fat.

Actually, pretty stunning news. DWash is a stand-up guy and team captain and he was having a great camp.

If there were a legal issue, the local papers would have picked it up, but no news.

One thing about Pinkel though, he don't take no bull from the players.

Maybe. But "indefinitely" = before Big 12 play. I'd bet money on it.

Actually, pretty stunning news. DWash is a stand-up guy and team captain and he was having a great camp.

If there were a legal issue, the local papers would have picked it up, but no news.

Who is behind him for playing time?

That would be Kendial Lawrence. A speedy back that saw very limited carries last year as #3. He has taken over #2 in camp. Looks like we could be without Jackson and D-wash for the opener vs Illinois. Those are our two biggest offensive play makers. :ahhhhhhhh

:yeah :yeah :yeah

Might be a bit longer...

Derrick Washington suspended indefinitely from MU football team

Thursday, August 26, 2010 | 9:59 p.m. CDT; updated 10:22 p.m. CDT, Thursday, August 26, 2010

COLUMBIA ? Derrick Washington, a captain and starting tailback on the Missouri football team, was issued an order of protection by Boone County Circuit Court Judge Leslie Schneider in June after allegations of sexual assault, according to court documents obtained by the Missourian on Thursday.

Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel suspended Washington indefinitely before the Tigers' Thursday scrimmage.

Missouri Athletics Director Mike Alden confirmed on Thursday he has been aware of Washington's legal situation for weeks and that he supports Pinkel's decision to suspend him.

"I am certainly aware of the situation involving Derrick and the coach's decision to suspend him," Alden said. "(I have known) probably, I think for a few weeks, that there were some things that were being evaluated at that time. "

Alden refused to directly confirm that Washington's suspension and the sexual assault allegations were connected, saying that it is not athletics department policy to comment on suspensions.

In court documents, the woman, who is in her early 20s, alleges Washington sexually assaulted her at about 2:30 a.m. on June 19 at the Campus View apartment complex.

"I was sexually assaulted by him. ... I am pressing criminal charges," she wrote in court documents. "I fear physical retaliation."

The woman continued that Washington entered her room "unprovoked."

The order of protection against Washington was first issued three days later, on June 22. This order meant Washington could not abuse, threaten, stalk, molest or disturb the woman. He was also forbidden from going to her residence or communicating with her.

A court hearing was scheduled for July 7, but the woman asked for a continuance the day before the hearing. The hearing would have determined whether a full order of protection was to be issued. The order of protection was renewed until the new court date of July 21.

Neither party showed up to the hearing, and the case was dismissed without prejudice. This means that the issue can come before the courts again, according to the Missouri Bar.

Prosecuting attorney Andrea Hayes said only that she had been referred a case on Derrick Washington.

Attorney Chris Slusher said his law firm, Holder, Susan and Slusher, was hired by the Washington family to help them with some issues brought up with the university. He said his firm understood that a matter had been referred to the prosecutor's office, but criminal charges had not been filed.

Slusher refused to comment on the order of protection filed against Washington because he said he had not seen those documents.

Team spokesman Chad Moller would not comment on why coach Gary Pinkel made his decision to suspend Washington on Thursday.

"The extent of everything we have to say has already been said," Moller said after Thursday's football scrimmage, which Washington did not attend.

Pinkel spoke briefly with the media after the scrimmage and was visibly irritated when asked about Washington's legal matters.

"He's indefinitely suspended for disciplinary reasons," Pinkel said. "As usual, as I've done for 10 years, I don't ever talk about those issues."

The indefinite loss of Washington will impact a Missouri team that is eight days away from its first game against Illinois in St. Louis on Sept. 4. Washington ran for more than 1,000 yards his sophomore season and looked poised in preseason practices to rebound from a disappointing 2009 season in which he was hobbled by a knee injury.

The Missourian attempted to reach Washington by phone, but he did not respond.

It is Missourian policy not to identify victims of sexual assault.

Missourian reporters Len Goldman, Will Guldin, Dieter Kurtenbach and Joan Niesen contributed to this report.

he has sat players for league play before, and seeing as though this issues has the possibility of charges being brought, he will most likely sit till its resolved.

For all the things NE fans claim GP is, soft on team discipline can not be one of them

The part of this that is a real bite in the a** is that he is a senior and team captian. I will treat it as innocent intill proven guilty. And by that thought, as of now, charges have not been filed for an incendent that alegedly took place 2 months ago. However....with that said, sometimes you should just know better. And I cant help but feel a ton of disapointment for a young man who doesnt get in trouble, putting himself in this possible position.

Sexual Assault?! Wow

That was pretty much the reaction from most everyone :o

He is screwed regardless if charges are brought. heck even if they are brought and he is innocent. That is the type of allegation that follows you around and more often than not, instead of innocent till proven guilty. Its guilty till proven innocent.

Sexual Assault?! Wow

That was pretty much the reaction from most everyone :o

He is screwed regardless if charges are brought. heck even if they are brought and he is innocent. That is the type of allegation that follows you around and more often than not, instead of innocent till proven guilty. Its guilty till proven innocent.

Fro, do you know any of the details? Sad to see this kid miss 2010. I feel like I've been watching him run the ball at Missouri for a decade.