Will Compton suffers foot injury

Nexus

And how many starts does he have at the D-1 level? How many snaps has he played at the D-1 level?

The same number of starts Demorrio Williams had when he came over from JUCO. David could be the second coming of Williams or he could be the second coming of Hoogie Pringle - we don't know yet. To declare this as "completely devastating" is a little over the top.

Let's wait until our D starts getting gashed. THEN we can bemoan our fate. Until then... have some kool-aid!. :koolaid2:

This is completely devastating. Any chance our D had to repeat last year's performance just flew out the window. I'm all for optimism, and I'm sure there are competent players ready to step up, but you lose both your starting linebackers before the first game, one out for the season, and the other one probably for about that long, and think that it's no big deal?

Please.

That may be a bit melodramatic. We went through last season with one, count 'em one, competent LB in Dillard. If LaVonte David is everything Pelini says he is we should be fine. Did anyone watch the preseason Bo Pelini/Nebraska Football Show? Bo was pitchin' a serious tent for David's athleticism and instincts.

And how many starts does he have at the D-1 level? How many snaps has he played at the D-1 level? Dillard, as you know, is no longer with us. That leaves us with precisely 0 proven linebackers, and the top two contenders either out for the year or a significant portion of it.

I'm sorry, folks, as tasty as a strong jug of kookaid is, you don't lose all your experience in the middle of your defense and then smile about it. It may not be the end of the world, but that doesn't mean we won't feel the tremor of the earthquake when some big back starts gashing through the tackles.

I don't buy this argument. If that holds true, how is it possible that true freshmen ever step on the field and contribute? I suppose Tommy Frazier never should've taken over for us in 92. Or Ahman Green in 95. Do you see my point? Just because one has never started at a level does not automatically make them ineffective.

And how many starts does he have at the D-1 level? How many snaps has he played at the D-1 level?

The same number of starts Demorrio Williams had when he came over from JUCO. David could be the second coming of Williams or he could be the second coming of Hoogie Pringle - we don't know yet. To declare this as "completely devastating" is a little over the top.

Let's wait until our D starts getting gashed. THEN we can bemoan our fate. Until then... have some kool-aid!. :koolaid2:

You're probably right, "completely devastating" is a bit strong. But as fans I'm all too familiar with the impulse to sweep things under the rug in a tide of good feelings. You don't watch the middle of your defense explode without expecting some retribution at some point during the season.

EDIT

Perhaps the more prevalent issue is depth now. David gets hurt and then we'll start filling the fallout shelters in preparation for judgement day.

You're probably right, "completely devastating" is a bit strong. But as fans I'm all too familiar with the impulse to sweep things under the rug in a tide of good feelings. You don't watch the middle of your defense explode without expecting some retribution at some point during the season.

EDIT

Perhaps the more prevalent issue is depth now. David gets hurt and then we'll start filling the fallout shelters in preparation for judgement day.

This I agree with. I gotta say, you really are about the post-apocalyptic stuff tonight huh?

EDIT

This I agree with. I gotta say, you really are about the post-apocalyptic stuff tonight huh?

With North Korea, Iran, and now our linebacking corps, I think the more important question is why isn't everyone else? :)

I'm kind of with Husker_X on this one. This injury is really concerning to me since now we have to rely on completely unproven guys. I remember last year we gave up quite a few yards our first two games due to our LB play before Dillard stepped in. I was a little concerned about our LB's going into this season but now with Fisher and Compton hurt it is now a major concern.

EDIT

With North Korea, Iran, and now our linebacking corps, I think the more important question is why isn't everyone else? :)

i heard we are forfeiting the season, BO thinks that this season's effort would be futile and we need to start focusing on the big 10 anyway.

• Fire 1

Am I the only one that thought Whaley looked like the best LB on the field in the spring game?

He led the team in tackles, but he wasn't the "#1" coming into the Fall. Now he has to make good on the promise he showed, as does David, as does May, as does Martin.

We don't have unskilled guys out there. What we have are a bunch of talented but raw guys. Raw talent can be exploited, which is why everyone's shorts got a little tighter with this news about Compton.

Where's Willie? I want to know who's responsible for making the defensive calls. Was it Compton? If so, who takes over?

Am I the only one that thought Whaley looked like the best LB on the field in the spring game?

:yeah

I love Eric Martin for his heart and effort on special teams, but there are a couple of guys I'd feel better about being out there ithose being Mr. Whaley and Matt May.

Plus hasn't Ekler and Carl said that the light has came on for Whaley during preseason camp.

talent wise the guys that remain are fine, i think the reason these two injuries are significant is that Fisher and then Compton were the guys they were planning on having "make the calls." I think the coaches have said that the person in this role is basically the qb of the defense (pre-snapwise).