T-Mart the Wildcat?

Spartness

As long as T-Mart is the starting QB -- and that could change in the future of course -- will we even see the Wildcat since T-Mart is the Wildcat? Perhaps we will see some of the same plays, but I'm thinking it will be executed only by T-Mart, not Burkhead. :dunno

But, of course, if Green or Lee take over, then that all changes. Those of you who have played the game and know football best, where am I going wrong with this? ?????????????

As long as T-Mart is the starting QB -- and that could change in the future of course -- will we even see the Wildcat since T-Mart is the Wildcat? Perhaps we will see some of the same plays, but I'm thinking it will be executed only by T-Mart, not Burkhead. :dunno

But, of course, if Green or Lee take over, then that all changes. Those of you who have played the game and know football best, where am I going wrong with this? ?????????????

Even with a legitimate running threat at quarterback, the wildcat is still really useful (see Va Tech with Tyrod Taylor). A part of it that isn't used often but that defenses have to respect is the quarterback lining up as a receiver, providing a handful more opportunities of hard to guess and hard to defend plays.

Even with Martinez, why not go with the wildcat? It obviously worked vs Zona. We have lots of talent in the backfield, and the wildcat is a great way to utilize that. I'm all for it b/c it makes our offense that much more dangerous and unpredictable.

Even with Martinez, why not go with the wildcat? It obviously worked vs Zona. We have lots of talent in the backfield, and the wildcat is a great way to utilize that. I'm all for it b/c it makes our offense that much more dangerous and unpredictable.

not too mention, t-mart can swing across the backfield and burkhead can hand it off or run. it will just be that more confusing.

We'll see the Wildcat, but my guess is not until we think we can use it. WKU and Idaho should be beaten with basic formations and simple plays. We shouldn't need a lot of gadgetry to beat them.

That said, I like Burkhead as the lead in the Wildcat. Lining Martinez up as a receivers presents both a run and passing threat from the perimeter.

Not to sound repetitive, but I've never understood why we aren't utilizing Taylor's wildcat abilities while going with Lee as the regular starter. It seems like the best of both worlds, being able to get Taylor's gamebreaking ability while bringing him along slowly as a quarterback and getting him experience, while relying on Lee's supposedly improved consistency.

I thought I read in the offseason that Burkhead was working on expanded wildcat packages, including where he throws some. Not sure if it still happens, but it might.

Not to sound repetitive, but I've never understood why we aren't utilizing Taylor's wildcat abilities while going with Lee as the regular starter. It seems like the best of both worlds, being able to get Taylor's gamebreaking ability while bringing him along slowly as a quarterback and getting him experience, while relying on Lee's supposedly improved consistency.

I thought I read in the offseason that Burkhead was working on expanded wildcat packages, including where he throws some. Not sure if it still happens, but it might.

Lee being third on the depth chart makes you wonder what it even means to have Lee as the starter. If he is third on the depth chart that tells me that both Green and Martinez are better equipped to lead us to victory than Lee.

Besides, the Wildcat is a gimmick and you cannot base your entire offense around it. If we ever make the Wildcat a consistent part of our game plan, it will only be for a few plays a game and nothing more. Given Martinez's play making abilities, a "few times a game" seems too few.

As stupid as some may think this sounds, but Watson is a good OC. His head is probably spinning thinking about all of the possibilities with as much speed as we have on offense. What also gets lost in this whole QB controversy is the job that Watson has done developing three compotent QBs. ;)

Why would we use Zac Lee as the regular starter? He looked like the same old Lee to me in that series I saw. He looks like he is stepping on glass in the pocket and still doesn't look the lease bit comfortable...he even one-hopped one to a wide open receiver.

I say keep Taylor in, let him take his lumps and get his experience now.

I think we could still utilize Tmart and Wildcat. Heres my thinking..... we can line TRex at QB, TMart at one of the receivers and we could use like a double pass or reverse utitlize Martinez. Defense will be keying on Rex and Roy since their in the backfield, thinking its the same old Wildcat play. Then we hit Martinez with a backwards pass then he passes the wide open Paul,Kinnie or McNeill or he can run if nothings open. We have all the seen the speed he has.

So we'll have:

TMagic + TRex + Wildcat = A magic cat with a big head and little tiny arms

Seems foolproof to me!

On a serious note, I don't see why you couldn't use the Wildcat with Rex taking the snap and move Martinez and Helu, Paul, etc around the field. Martinez is fast enough to run the ball and Rex played some QB in high school, so he could likely make some simple throws out there.