The Death Penalty

• 1 year later...

Whether you're pro death penalty or not, the circumstances surrounding Carey Dean Moore's execution have been embarrassing and uninformative, including, but not limited to:

• His 38 years spent on death row.
  • The prison director's refusal to answer questions to the public and lawmakers.
  • Two of the drugs used in today's execution will never be available for purchase again, making any future executions effectively unattainable.
  • How, even up until the last minutes, we're still spending taxpayer dollars on trying to figure out whether or not what's happening is legal.
  • We don't even know if this drug c.ocktail will work humanely because it's never been used before.

I've read the stories. I've seen the interviews. It still baffles me that this is how events have unfolded.

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Whether you're pro death penalty or not, the circumstances surrounding Carey Dean Moore's execution have been embarrassing and uninformative, including, but not limited to:

• His 38 years spent on death row.
  • The prison director's refusal to answer questions to the public and lawmakers.
  • Two of the drugs used in today's execution will never be available for purchase again, making any future executions effectively unattainable.
  • How, even up until the last minutes, we're still spending taxpayer dollars on trying to figure out whether or not what's happening is legal.
  • We don't even know if this drug c.ocktail will work humanely because it's never been used before.

I've read the stories. I've seen the interviews. It still baffles me that this is how events have unfolded.

The death penalty itself is an unnecessary and archaic part of the "justice" system that serves no benefit, except to satisfy the public's carnal lust for vengeance. The way the state of Nebraska in particular has handled it has been a total $h!tshow.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Ulty said:

The death penalty itself is an unnecessary and archaic part of the "justice" system that serves no benefit, except to satisfy the public's carnal lust for vengeance. The way the state of Nebraska in particular has handled it has been a total $h!tshow.

In addition, almost every argument that tries to justify capital punishment is either subjective or simply untrue.

• A deterrent against crime? Most of the research says it's not.
  • Provides closure for families? Subjective.
  • An effective form of punishment for handling society's most heinous crimes? Inmates sit on death row for decades.
  • Change the laws to make it easier? Not going to happen with the way society is moving.
  • Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Didn't he illegally obtain some of the c$%ktail too?

If memory serves, the state says they 'legally obtained the drugs.' However, the drug's manufacturers (who know it was their drugs because they were in vial sizes only they produce) say they were purchased improperly and not through the correct channels.

The pharmacy that sold the drugs to the state has also said they will never do so again.

• Plus1 3

IIRC Ricketts couldn't obtain the drugs here so he got them shipped in from China. Which presents questions about their quality.

I woke this morning and turned on my Price is Right to be met with a breaking news banner about how 10/11 will move to live coverage from the State Pen once they can confirm the guy had been executed. REALLY? 

Apparently we're the first ones to execute someone using fentanyl. So once again, Nebraska will be in the news for the wrong reasons.

I am unable to express how much I loathe Pete Ricketts. It's shameful how transparently he's put his finger on the scale of this debate, and for what? 

• Plus1 1

I am strongly against the death penalty. It doesn't deter other would-be criminals. It is applied far more often to men, the poor, and minorities. We run the risk of executing an innocent person...a result which obviously can't be fixed. It costs more to execute someone than to incarcerate someone for life. It sends a horrible message when the state can kill a citizen. It cheapens the value of human life and degrades us all. 

But Clarence Darrow said it best when pleading for the lives of two young killers. 

"I know the easy way. I know the future is with me, and what I stand for here; not merely for the lives of these two unfortunate lads, but for all boys and all girls; for all of the young, and as far as possible, for all of the old. I am pleading for life, understanding, charity, kindness, and the infinite mercy that considers all. I am pleading that we overcome cruelty with kindness and hatred with love. I know the future is on my side. Your Honor stands between the past and the future. You may hang these boys; you may hang them by the neck until they are dead. But in doing it you will turn your face toward the past. In doing it you are making it harder for every other boy who in ignorance and darkness must grope his way through the mazes which only childhood knows. In doing it you will make it harder for unborn children. You may save them and make it easier for every child that sometime may stand where these boys stand. You will make it easier for every human being with an aspiration and a vision and a hope and a fate. I am pleading for the future; I am pleading for a time when hatred and cruelty will not control the hearts of men. When we can learn by reason and judgment and understanding and faith that all life is worth saving, and that mercy is the highest attribute of man."

https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/cdarrowpleaformercy.htm

• Plus1 6