The start of 2010 reminds me of something

08/30 Akron Lincoln W 59-14

09/13 Central Fla. Lincoln W 38-24

09/20 Washington Seattle W 27-14

Look Familiar?

This was the start to the 1997 season. Nebraska has almost the same situation in 2010, although Washington isn't coming into the game ranked #2 this year, some people are probably wondering if Nebraska's ranking is too high. I have a feeling the Cornhuskers are going to prove the doubters wrong this coming Saturday, and Nebraska will play a lot smarter football. The difference maker from last year shows that Nebraska can overcome mental mistakes. Nebraska needs to do a heck of a lot better to be ready against teams like Texas and Texas A&M, but after 2 weeks, Nebraska has game film to look over and things can only get better.

I'd be more worried if Nebraska blew away both teams so far like 70-0 because they'd think they can do no wrong. Nebraska now heads into games knowing they can't let up on any play. Keep the faith Cornhusker Fans, we'll keep on going. Go Big Red!

Just remember that Tom Osborne had to change his offense a few times over those 25 seasons as different personnel moved through and other teams adjusted to the Husker's schemes.

Some would argue it was Osborne's decision to start recruiting for defensive speed (as opposed to strength) that gave us those last five memorable seasons of beating top shelf opponents. Actually, Osborne himself acknowledges that.

and another difference is our quarterback was not bood the week before Washington encouraging him to explode onto the national stage, and we did not trail idaho at halfime. One thing i do like is that as the nation looks at our score from yesterday, they say "eh, only a 21 point win" Only people watching nows how dominate we were. I hope we get to continue to quietly creep along, under the radar if you will.

To me this reminds me a lot more of last year... The dominating win the first game after giving up a lot of yardage but keeping the damage low, then the slightly less impressive second game offensively, and then heading to a tough environment for the first test. However, we have a better offense this year than we did last year and our d looked better in its second game that it did last year so hopefully we are a lot better this year.

i really enjoy that we are not taking Udub lightly (deserved or not)... whatever the case maybe with your line of thinking next week will be an important test and set the tone for the rest of the season..... i'd like the whole 'underdog vibe' thing as well.. it might pay off well and its better to have that chip on your shoulder than the over confident cocky vibe.....

I remember going to games during that time period. Even against scrub teams there were times when Osborne's offense would not look that great. Almost always they'd three and out on the first series. it' be like, FB trap or dive one yard. Iso, one yard. option a couple yards, then punt. People in the stands would groan, i remember hearing old ladies yell that we need to get a new coach in calling plays (lol) and people would be yelling about putting the backup quarterback in and whatnot.

Washington is also not as good as they were in '97 or '92. Not saying they're bad, they just aren't as good as those teams.

Still, I think there will be more enthusiasm going into this game. The team SHOULD NEVER take "lesser" teams like WKU/Idaho lightly, but I think that tends to happen even when you try to guard against it. UDub will have their full attention, especially being the first road game.