The Heisman RACE: Martinez vs. Robinson

The Heisman RACE: Martinez vs Robinson

Needless to say, there are more than two people in the race for the Heisman and the odds of Taylor Martinez (Nebraska QB) winning it as a red-shirt freshman are about as good as me being given the 2005 award in place of Reggie Bush. Martinez is barely on the radar screen. Nevertheless, the issue in this post is who would, theoretically, deserve it after three games. The beauty of this comparison is how similar are Martinez and Denard Robinson (Michigan QB).

These are the kinds of QBs I love to watch. The word RACE is meant to emphasize the fact that these two guys love to run the ball – and both are super quick. I would rather watch them any day than a drop back passer. That means I would much rather watch Michael Vick or Kordell Stewart than Drew Brees or Peyton Manning. Fortunately, in college you can get your wish – not so much in the NFL.

Both Taylor Martinez and Denard Robinson were high school seniors in 2008-09. Both were considered among the top “athletes” coming out of high school. Rivals didn’t have either listed as a QB although they played that position as preps. By being listed a top “athlete” they should have easily been able to excel at more than one position on any college football team. However, in their case, quarterback was the obvious choice.

Martinez was red-shirted his freshman year while Robinson played some. The red-shirting probably won’t matter as I would be surprised if Martinez is with the Huskers for four more years. Both of these players were outstanding in high school. What’s a little surprising to me, considering the fantastic stats they have rung up so far in their first three games of 2010, is that they weren’t ranked higher by Rivals in 2009.

Robinson was #188 (four star) and Martinez didn’t make the top-250 (he was three star). I’m of the opinion at this moment that those rankings are going to seem especially low in the next couple years.

Both quarterbacks are known for being passers and rushers. Both are extremely fast. Both have led their teams to 3-0 records so far. Both are ranked. Robinson is from Florida, Martinez is from California. Nebraska’s Martinez had more monstrous stats as a senior and led his team to the state title. In fact, his team was ranked #2 in the nation. Of course, Michigan’s Robinson was rated higher as a player.

Nebraska is in position to challenge for a national title, Michigan is far less likely. However, anything is possible. A match-up between these two would be the can’t-miss game of the season.

Here are the two player’s stats so far in 2010. I’ll make some comments below.

DENARD ROBINSON (Michigan)

PASSING

Game Com Att Yds Com% Y/A TD Int

Game 1 19 22 186 86.4% 8.5 1 0

Game 2 24 40 244 60.0% 6.1 1 0

Game.3 10 14 241 71.4% 17.2 2 1

TOTAL 53 76 671 69.7% 8.8 4 1

-

RUSHING

Game Att Yds Ypc TD Fum

Game 1 29 197 6.8 1 0

Game 2 28 258 9.2 2 0

Game 3 17 104 6.1 1 0

TOTAL 74 559 7.6 4 0

-

TAYLOR MARTINEZ (Nebraska)

PASSING

Game Com Att Yds Com% Y/A TD Int

Game 1 9 15 136 60.0% 9.1 0 0

Game 2 12 17 106 70.6% 6.2 0 1

Game.3 7 11 150 63.6% 13.6 1 0

TOTAL 28 43 392 65.1% 9.1 1 1

-

RUSHING Game Att Yds Ypc TD Fum

Game 1 7 127 18.1 3 0

Game 2 14 157 11.2 2 0

Game 3 19 139 7.3 3 0

TOTAL 40 423 10.6 8 0

-

There are a number of things to point out here. Despite coming out of high school at the same time, Robinson was a back-up in all 12 games as a Freshman compared to Martinez who has played three games in his career. You would assume, therefore, that Martinez would improve at a faster rate in the weeks ahead. Clearly, both players are going to face tougher (on average) competition, but as inexperienced as they are, they could well maintain their pace.

Robinson has more total yardage to date than Martinez, but Martinez’ Y/A and ypc are superior and his rushing stats to date are fairly incredible - 141 yards per game, 10.6 yards per carry, eight TDs and no fumbles.

A lot of what goes into the Heisman is based upon the success of the team. As I indicated, both teams are 3-0. Michigan has an average winning margin of 9.6 ppg while Nebraska is averaging winning by 31.7. Both teams have played similar competition in that Michigan played Notre Dame (#51 by Sagarin) while Nebraska played #52 (Washington). Beyond that, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Western Kentucky and Idaho are mostly six of one half dozen of the other.

So, Martinez has the advantage of less experience - meaning more immediate upside - while playing for a better team. Robinson has the advantage of being a Sophomore with more cumulative stats to date. As young as they are, neither is likely to win the Heisman this season. However, if they keep it up, both are going to be strong candidates next year.

Finally, I thought it would be interesting to look at Tim Tebow’s stats for his first three games in his Freshman season. Here they are alongside Robinson and Martinez.

PASSING Game Com Att Yds Com% Y/A TD Int

Tebow 45 61 835 73.8% 13.7 8 1

Robinson 53 76 671 69.7% 8.8 4 1

Martinez 28 43 392 65.1% 9.1 1 1

-

RUSHING Game Att Yds Ypc TD Fum

Tebow 43 192 4.8 5 0

Robinson 74 559 7.6 4 0

Martinez 40 423 10.6 8 0

-

I want to root for Martinez and Nebraska, but in 12 months they will be dead to me, so…

Link

:koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2:

The Heisman RACE: Martinez vs Robinson

Martinez was red-shirted his freshman year while Robinson played some. The red-shirting probably won’t matter as I would be surprised if Martinez is with the Huskers for four more years.

I want to root for Martinez and Nebraska, but in 12 months they will be dead to me, so…

This guy is an idiot.

• Fire 1

From ESPN's Heisman watch.

Want an under-the-radar Heisman name? Taylor Martinez. No freshman has ever won the award, and I'm not saying one will this season. But if one were to get into the conversation based on his play so far this season, it would be Martinez. The Nebraska quarterback just racked up his third straight 100-yard rushing game in the Huskers' 59-21 blowout win over Washington. (Remember when Huskies QB Jake Locker was in the conversation?) Martinez has accounted for nine Huskers TDs this season. And like Robinson, Martinez won a three-horse race to be named his team's starter just before his season opener. Good call, Bo Pelini.

Link

Martinez is faster then robinson by far lol from what i have seen. but they should both be in it from what we saw

I wouldn't say that. Robinson's 80-yd TD run against ND showed some serious speed. I'd say they're about even, slight edge to Robinson in top speed, slight edge to Martinez in acceleration.

That sounds about right to me. They're both something else....

The red-shirting probably won’t matter as I would be surprised if Martinez is with the Huskers for four more years.

What?

I was thinking the same thing, to me he is a four year player considering he's not your prototypical NFL QB and is play style has college ball written all over it.

Yes, I was thinking this, too. huh???

He is not an NFL QB, but he will probably be able to play pro in some capacity. I don't see him leaving early, especially if we are NC contenders in the next few years.