Lee Speaks

link

Senior quarterback Zac Lee spoke to the media following Monday's practice.

It was Lee's first time doing interviews since Taylor Martinez was named the starting quarterback.

"That's part of the deal being a quarterback at any level, the good with the bad," Lee said. "Really, I just try to keep preparing the same way. In case something were to happen I'd be ready to go."

"Just because you're not starting doesn't mean you can't be a leader in a sense," he added. "I'm one of the older guys on the team, on the Unity Council and all that stuff. So I just try to go about my work the same way I did before and there's no reason to give up, there's no reason to stop trying to improve and just make yourself better and be there just in case."

Much more coming from Lee.

edit:

more

Shawn Watson offered plenty of praise after Monday's practice for the way senior quarterback Zac Lee has handled not being the starter this year.

"He's been unbelievable," Watson said. "I couldn’t ask more out of a guy who’s been in his situation. He’s been very giving to both of the younger players, and when his opportunities come, because give him a lot of repetitions in practice ... Zac maximizes those opportunities and every day he shows us out here that he can go in and do the job. He has been totally into it, heart and soul.”

As for delivering the news to Lee that he was No. 3 behind Taylor Martinez and Cody Green?

“Bo and I told him, we totally understood his situation," Watson said. "We told him the options are it can become a negative and you can really let it hurt you, really take away from your senior season. Or you can be ready and be a positive force on the team."

Nebraska's offensive coordinator also reminded Lee of the story of Bobby Pesavento, who Watson coached at Colorado.

In 2001, Pesavento lost the preseason battle for the Buffs' starting job to Craig Ochs. But then Ochs went down with an injury midway through the season.

“Shoot, (Pesavento) lost the job to Craig Ochs, and that kid walked in and we won a Big 12 Championship with him. Rode him all the way to the title," Watson said. "That’s the story I told Zac. I told him about Bob. Bob was my example to him. Zac has embraced that role.”

Lee has continued to be a team leader. He's part of the Unity Council and helps offer advice to the other quarterbacks.

As someone who experienced the ups and downs of being Nebraska's starting quarterback, what did Lee tell Taylor Martinez after a rough game against South Dakota State?

"You just tell him things get better, just keep your head about yourself," Lee said. "S--- happens. What are you going to do? You just have to bounce back from it."

Lee said he is preparing just as he did last year when he started 12 out of 14 times.

"You got to be ready, it's football," Lee said. "Life is about 20 percent of what actually happens to you and 80 percent of how you react to it. I'm just trying to do the best I can and improve myself and be there for my teammates."

I can't believe he's not ahead of Green already. I really do feel bad for Zac.

I think Lee getting reps as 2nd string during our cupcake games would of prepared us well for some worst case scenarios.I hate to see lee as our 3rd stringer, I think that he is our best option if T-magic gets hurt.

I can't believe he's not ahead of Green already. I really do feel bad for Zac.

I think Lee getting reps as 2nd string during our cupcake games would of prepared us well for some worst case scenarios.I hate to see lee as our 3rd stringer I think that he is our best option if T-magic gets hurt.

I agree. I'd feel more comfortable if Lee had gotten those reps and would be our 2nd string QB then Green. I really don't see how Green is better than Lee.

Green is not better than Lee. In fact the grading process through the fall camp says that Green and Tmart are not better than Lee. Bo says they are because he likes their style and Bo is the only thought that counts.

That being said, the "competition" throughout fall was graded and Lee had the best grade.

Bo Liked the fact that Tmart beat his defense with his feet.

Bo wants the kind of offense we are moving towards.

Run first, run second, run last, and Tmart and Green do that better.

Ganz doesn't like Lee

Tmart threatens to take his ball and go home

At the end of the day, Lee is 3rd. Not because he is worse but because..............................

1. Bo wants a run first QB because he believes his Defense can win games and a runnin QB is what he wants

2. Lee can't be 2nd string because if he is it would create more of a QB controversy. If Tmart struggles the 2nd stringer comes in. If that is Lee and all of a sudden we get a few completions and Helu and Rex have success it will make the situation worse. Bo cannot have Lee coming in to save the day he simply can't. Not after overriding the O Coordinator's decision on starting QB and QB depth chart. The depth chart is completely reversed today than it would be if Watson made the decision.

The saddest part is with our talent, our schedule, and all of the other positives we have for this year, we may very well throw a Big 12 and possibly a NC opportunity away because of our head coaches stubborness.

• Fire 2

I ran into Zac once again (third time now) at the store just after the SDSU game. He was, of course, very friendly and approachable. I lobbed a couple of questions at him like, "Dude.... what was that?" I didn't have any prepared questions, of course, so I just said what came out first. As you can guess, Zac was very supportive of the team, and with a charming smile just said, "No comment." He said the team was fine and that it wasn't our night. Typical stuff from a guy who's spent a lot of time in front of reporters.

We talked a lot about the SDSU crowd. Zac's dad was there and we all said how amazed that the Jackrabbit crowd was so vocal, and of course how nice they were. You can see where Zac gets his class from; his dad was cool, too.

I have nothing but good things to say about Lee. He's a class guy all the way. I wish he could start a game again, but I doubt he does. It's been covered in posts above, but he's not riding the bench because he sucks.

Speaking of running into Huskers, I saw Bo running downtown at lunch. I was pretty shocked because I thought he was doing the presser right then, but later I found out it was rescheduled. I was in the sandwich shop when Bo ran by. Dude moves pretty quick for an old fart.