Texas Athletes against our running game

unl123

We all know that Texas has some great athletes no matter how awful they have looked all year. But do you think they have a chance at slowing down our running game at all? Or will our o line continue to dominate? I cant tell if the teams we have played this year are really as slow as we make them look.

do you think they have a chance at slowing down our running game at all?

They will slow it but not stop it. I think we'll have a lot more 5 yard runs and a lot less 15+ runs. Their closing speed is better.

I wouldn't be surprised if it took us until the 2nd half to get the running game going. Hopefully we break a big play early and really put the pressure on UT's offense - that plays right into the strength of our defense. Offenses must be patient against our D and let the game come to them, but that's really hard when you're trying to make a play. Exactly what happened to OU last year, they were too impatient.

I see every game we have going two ways:

1. We get ahead early and force them to throw. Against our secondary, I don't see any team being able to dominate us through the air.

2. The game stays close/we get behind. In this case, bad things could happen.

I agree - that's why I fear a team with a good defense more than a good offense. Defense can keep the score close and make it anybody's game at the end. UT and possibly Mizzou have good defense. OU obviously if we meet them in the CCG. I don't think any other teams in the B12 have the defense to hang with us. That's why staying on top of our game is important, we could always in any game, beat ourselves.

If the O-line played like they did at Kstate then lanes are just going to open up everywhere and we should be fine. I think game will start out slow, but opening up in the 2nd quarter for us.

Not so sure that would happen against UT. This is a whole different monster than a K State defense that was no where near as talented as the Whorns. And there will definitely be a much faster opponent on the field Saturday.

It will be interesting because we need to run the ball with success to win.

Texas' defense is built much like ours. Speed to cover sideline to sideline to stop spread attacks. They are a little vulnerable up the gut as well. Will we see 60 70 80 yard TD runs? Maybe. But the chances are slim considering their talent and discipline. When Texas makes mistakes and miscues, they have the speed and talent to cover it up. Much like LaVonte David at LB. However if we stay patient and take what they give us, we will score. We will just do it 5-10 yards at a time. We need to purge out the long sideways sweep options though. Anything that would cause a tackle for a 5 yard loss needs to be removed from the playbook for this game. Texas will be all over that. We need to stick with the zone reads that are hitting off tackle or up the gut. Do this enough to bring those safeties up then we can start chucking it over the middle. But more importantly, we need to make them punt at least 3 times or 2 more times than we do. We do this, we win.

Texas' defense is built much like ours. Speed to cover sideline to sideline to stop spread attacks. They are a little vulnerable up the gut as well. Will we see 60 70 80 yard TD runs? Maybe. But the chances are slim considering their talent and discipline. When Texas makes mistakes and miscues, they have the speed and talent to cover it up. Much like LaVonte David at LB. However if we stay patient and take what they give us, we will score. We will just do it 5-10 yards at a time. We need to purge out the long sideways sweep options though. Anything that would cause a tackle for a 5 yard loss needs to be removed from the playbook for this game. Texas will be all over that. We need to stick with the zone reads that are hitting off tackle or up the gut. Do this enough to bring those safeties up then we can start chucking it over the middle. But more importantly, we need to make them punt at least 3 times or 2 more times than we do. We do this, we win.

I don't think we'll see a repeat of K-State or even Washington for that matter rushing wise since teams now have had time to size us up offensively the more games we have played. Up to this point it's obviously run first pass second for us so I fully expect Texas to cater their defense to that. I do think we will pass more than 7 times against Texas which is the total number of passes we threw against K-State. I fully expect Texas to stack up against the run first.

this will be the game where we find out what kind of team we have and how well watson can scheme. he says the zone read allows for a lot of multiplicity. if he is creative and calls the right plays, we can keep the defense off-balance and still break some big plays. i still think we handle texas just fine. two touchdown lead going into the fourth quarter. our defense will be in lock down mode, and our offense just has to limit mistakes and not turn the ball over once. :bonesflag:

Totally agree with you about the sideways sweeps. For some reason it is near impossible to run to the outside against Texas. It seems like we have tried for years and it never seems to work.

Their offensive coordinator is an idiot and our defensive coordinator is a guru so that match-up is not good for them, also their offense doesn't scare me. They do have a good defensive coordinator and defense with play makers but our offense should wear them down with running from our 3 headed monster. Hopefully Taylor can keep making good decisions passing wise and not turn it over. We can NOT let them do what KSU did to us on special teams return wise because Texas will take advantage of that, which could cause problems for us. Either way I'm hoping we win and think we will but will be tough no matter how you slice it.