Flavor Of The Month Bandwagon

cmb23

I guess most are aware, but thought it needed to be called to attention anyway. There are so many 'fans' that are always quick to point out or complain when Nebraska isn't being favored, talked about, or gushed about on ESPN (among other outlets). Well in case you haven't noticed...we are the 'IT' team and subject.

I think National Title talk is pretty premature at this point...but it's out there.

Martinez for Heisman talk is a little early...but he's the hot topic.

Nebraska is the 'cool kid' once again on the block. And everyone is talking about it. Just to remind everyone that ESPN (among other outlets), doesn't 'hate' Nebraska. Nebraska just hasn't been at the top of the polls or everyones awareness. That's how the media works.

Here's to back up all the attention and talk and smear a little burnt orange on the Field Turf of Memorial Stadium. Put the demons to rest from last year's Big 12 Title Game...and the season is half over...do that and everyone across the nation will not only hear that Nebraska is for real, they may actually believe it.

GBR!

• Fire 1

If NU goes out and rolls UT this weekend, the hype bandwagon will be VERY full and be headed full steam ahead. If we lose this weekend, look for us to drop to 15-20 and not be spoken of much again the rest of the season. Especially if Martinez comes out flat.

I personally think we might see the best Husker team we've seen in a decade or more this weekend. When these guys (coaches on down to the players) focus on a task at hand, they look freaking good! Just look at the UT game last year, talent-wise, we had no business being in that game, but they just fought and fought and fought and played the game their coaches told them to and SHOULD have won that game. Look at the UW game and the KSU game, both times they were the sexy upset pick and they came out dialed in and completely wiped the field with both of them.

I think we're seeing the pieces fall in place with this team and this staff and I really think we could be in for a fun ride.

BUT, remember, we have a QB going through his first season at this level, there WILL BE ups and downs, no way around it. But, if the trend continues, the ups are going to GREATLY outweigh the downs!

GO BIG RED!!!

Whether or not we're getting the national press or not, the issue with ESPN has been their slavish devotion to unproven programs that don't do anything––see Notre Dame.

Nebraska is a cool pick. It's also a smart pick. Look at our schedule. Look at our defense. Look at our playmakers and rushing totals. It ain't that hard to put two and two together. Nebraska's in the hunt. For me, it's hard to predict a championship team ever, because there's more than talent that goes into it. You need a couple breaks along the way, limited injuries, etc. By November we'll have a much clearer picture of where Nebraska falls on the pecking order.

this is my problem with espn. they only focus on the sec and top 5 teams, if that. they need more balanced coverage.

No. ESPN runs with the good stories. If by "focus" you mean giving more coverage to the highest ranked teams in the hunt for the National Championship, that's the top story EVERY week. That the SEC is largely made up contending teams that are going to knock each other out of the race every week, that's a good story, too. The Big 12 was a big story last season. The Big 10 has never gone for lack of coverage. USC created a dynasty and earned all the coverage they got. So did Boise State. And Notre Dame is not unlike Nebraska, a legendary college football program that by falling on hard times becomes a story itself. Sports journalists also love cinderella stories and underog stories and comeback stories and I see these every week, representing conferences big and small. If by balanced you mean making every college footbal fanbase happy, this is physically impossible.

this is my problem with espn. they only focus on the sec and top 5 teams, if that. they need more balanced coverage.

No. ESPN runs with the good stories. If by "focus" you mean giving more coverage to the highest ranked teams in the hunt for the National Championship, that's the top story EVERY week. That the SEC is largely made up contending teams that are going to knock each other out of the race every week, that's a good story, too. The Big 12 was a big story last season. The Big 10 has never gone for lack of coverage. USC created a dynasty and earned all the coverage they got. So did Boise State. And Notre Dame is not unlike Nebraska, a legendary college football program that by falling on hard times becomes a story itself. Sports journalists also love cinderella stories and underog stories and comeback stories and I see these every week, representing conferences big and small. If by balanced you mean making every college footbal fanbase happy, this is physically impossible.

i did not know we had espn's head of public relations on the board.

also, from your post, all i heard was, "they go for the easies story".

and let us admit that it is a professional channel, mostly nfl.

i did not know we had espn's head of public relations on the board.

No, just someone who watches football and avoids paranoia.

also, from your post, all i heard was, "they go for the easies story".

That's all you heard? You must be determined to feel wronged.

and let us admit that it is a professional channel, mostly nfl.

If you're not interested in the NFL, then ESPN's NFL coverage must bore you. But that doesn't make the above statement accurate.

i do not think i am paranoid, i just think espn has very narrow and limited coverage.

i do believe they go for the easies stories and storylines and miss a lot of the context and intriguing story lines from lesser programs. this is because they can and it is cheap. they have virtually no competition. the big ten network will be great, and every conference should have their own network with equal production value. i have absolutely how thinking that makes me determined to feel wrong. nothing you said made me feel wronged, i am just not a fan of espn, no big deal.

as for your last response, i think it is obvious that any program not specifically geared toward college sports nearly only focuses on professional sports. watch around the horn or pti, they cover everything nfl. saying that it is not accurate does not make it not accurate.

Whether or not we're getting the national press or not, the issue with ESPN has been their slavish devotion to unproven programs that don't do anything––see Notre Dame.

Nebraska is a cool pick. It's also a smart pick. Look at our schedule. Look at our defense. Look at our playmakers and rushing totals. It ain't that hard to put two and two together. Nebraska's in the hunt. For me, it's hard to predict a championship team ever, because there's more than talent that goes into it. You need a couple breaks along the way, limited injuries, etc. By November we'll have a much clearer picture of where Nebraska falls on the pecking order.

Yeah, that is what bothers me about "The Leader," too. There was also an awful lot of heavy petting going on under some desk tables during the "USC is not only the greatest college football team in history, they are the greatest thing to happen to humankind since penicillin" years.

All NC/Heisman talk is premature in October. Like you said, we'll have a far more accurate picture of who we are and what we're capable of come November.

My personal view.. I think we ate a lot of humble pie when we got ripped apart in so many games over the years. Other than die-hard Husker haters, what we went through to get back to national coverage is easier to embrace then if we had a run of 2-3-4 loss seasons.

Man I wish I could have hibernated through those years, but thats why it feels so good to win lately. Just have to keep an arms distance from all the hype.