Keys to Success?

Husker_x

Not that we're hard up for conversation or anything this week, but I don't recall seeing one of these recently. What key things must Nebraska do to get a W on Saturday?

1. No more than 2 turnovers. As bad as Texas has played on offense, an extra possession or two piled onto a mediocre offensive performance from Nebraska turns a close game into an L very quickly.

2. No special teams meltdowns. Touchbacks, Adi. Enough said.

3. Don't let Taylor feel that he has to win by himself. Part of a QBs maturation is understanding the talent around him and learning how to use it. Taylor is very talented, but you hope it doesn't override good decision making. Against Texas you can't make the selfish read, or try to take over the game by yourself. Be a cog that works with the machine, not the wrench that wrecks it.

4. Pick off/strip Gilbert 2-3 times and it's over.

Not that we're hard up for conversation or anything this week, but I don't recall seeing one of these recently. What key things must Nebraska do to get a W on Saturday?

1. No more than 2 turnovers. As bad as Texas has played on offense, an extra possession or two piled onto a mediocre offensive performance from Nebraska turns a close game into an L very quickly.

3. Don't let Taylor feel that he has to win by himself. Part of a QBs maturation is understanding the talent around him and learning how to use it. Taylor is very talented, but you hope it doesn't override good decision making. Against Texas you can't make the selfish read, or try to take over the game by yourself. Be a cog that works with the machine, not the wrench that wrecks it.

And for the love of goodness, DO NOT KICK THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS! :rant

And for the love of goodness, DO NOT KICK THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS! :rant

Yea, I agree with all that.

1) Turnovers are huge...we cannot give up turnovers and must get turnovers.

2) Don't give up field position which can translate to cheap FG's.

3) Do not give them big kick and punt returns.

4) Huge game needed from O-Line to protect Martinez and to let the 3-headed monster roar. Get some highlight reel pancakes for everyone here on HB!

5) Pressure and sacks from everywhere on Gilbert Grape that he doesn't know what's going on.

6) No cheap personal fouls to keep Tex drives alive.

7) Stop Tex run yards on early downs.

8) Low 3rd down conversions from the Blackshirts...3 and out.

Keys to the game for more me would be:

Pressure Garrett Gilbert, he's proven to be a below average QB with guys in his face and Texas this year seems to be a little soft up front on the line, but if you give him time to step up and make a big throw he can hurt you, don't give this kid time in the pocket b/c that's when he will be lethal.

Pound it at Texas, with Rex and Roy in the backfield Taylor doesn't have to bust a big run or try to do it himself every play, people say Nebraska hasn't been hit the mouth yet, well that's b/c our lineman have a done a great job all year long with their physical play, if they play physical and contain Sam Acho and the rest of that D-Line and create holes for our backs they both could have a big day.

My next point is keep those big plays coming, this is a team that quit against UCLA in the final quarter and never really got to the same level as Oklahoma the score was closer than the game I thought, this is a young team that will get down on themselves if they give Nebraska a couple big plays. Set the tone against them and they will struggle.

Finally limit turnovers and create a couple, Prince is due for an int. and against Texas receivers who are a little down this year still trying to find that new Jordan Shipley, Malcolm Williams isn't doing as much as they thought he would so this is the perfect game to lockdown on receivers, and going back to earlier putting pressure on Gilbert forcing him into some bad throws and mistakes will be key, and for Nebraska keep the ball off the turf, and Taylor Martinez don't try to force anything that isn't there and make sure he reads his coverages and isn't throwing into heavy traffic or trying to make throws he can't make.

Keys to the game for more me would be:

Pressure Garrett Gilbert, he's proven to be a below average QB with guys in his face and Texas this year seems to be a little soft up front on the line, but if you give him time to step up and make a big throw he can hurt you, don't give this kid time in the pocket b/c that's when he will be lethal.

Pound it at Texas, with Rex and Roy in the backfield Taylor doesn't have to bust a big run or try to do it himself every play, people say Nebraska hasn't been hit the mouth yet, well that's b/c our lineman have a done a great job all year long with their physical play, if they play physical and contain Sam Acho and the rest of that D-Line and create holes for our backs they both could have a big day.

My next point is keep those big plays coming, this is a team that quit against UCLA in the final quarter and never really got to the same level as Oklahoma the score was closer than the game I thought, this is a young team that will get down on themselves if they give Nebraska a couple big plays. Set the tone against them and they will struggle.

Finally limit turnovers and create a couple, Prince is due for an int. and against Texas receivers who are a little down this year still trying to find that new Jordan Shipley, Malcolm Williams isn't doing as much as they thought he would so this is the perfect game to lockdown on receivers, and going back to earlier putting pressure on Gilbert forcing him into some bad throws and mistakes will be key, and for Nebraska keep the ball off the turf, and Taylor Martinez don't try to force anything that isn't there and make sure he reads his coverages and isn't throwing into heavy traffic or trying to make throws he can't make.

I really agree with that. I hope they start with the ball, give 'em a 3&out, then we punch it in. Blow them back on there heels right away, and that will help set the tone. No stupid penalties that turn 3&out into 1&10, and for the love of all that is holy, keep a spread of at least 10, I dont want some stupid last minute TD then they go for two and we come up short, again.

Set the tone get out front, and floor it. Score on every time we hit the red zone, and have the Blackshirts pound them into the dirt.

:bonesflag:

Offensively - 1st downs then touchdowns. That's all the Husker offense needs to accomplish. Take it one play at a time and execute. We have the offensive weapons, and we'll definitely have a game plan to topple the Texas D. It's all a matter of effective play-calling and execution.

Defensively - Communicate and execute. Don't biff on assignments. Dominate the line of scrimmage and pressure Gilbert on every play, nothing easy. The more pressure we put on him, the more likely we force turnovers. In short, just be the :bonesflag:

A lot of good points made here.

One thing I'll add is that we have to avoid penalties and be on our best behavior, Bo and player alike. We aren't on good terms with the con, can't give the refs any excuse to screw us.

I think Bo in backing-off on the CCG "1-second" call was looking-out for his team and trying to mend some fences in order to avoid a screwjob .

It is going to take the best game that Texas has played this year for them to beat us. I am not sure that they will. It is going to take a good game for us to beat them. I am positive that we will get that.

The key to this game for me is to get out of the gates fast. If we get the ball first, ram it down their throats and get points. If they get the ball first, stop them and hit them hard in the process. If we force Texas to throw the ball into the teeth of our secondary we win this game going away.