Biggest mistake

If the dropped passes were catches, we would be praising Watson and the coaches for changing things up and going long in the passing game which would have softened the defense up a little for the running game.

Just a bad day at the stadium for the Huskers and now we know what a good D can and will do to us. We have to move on and plan for it again. The remaining teams on our schedule have 2 good games to watch to plan and stop our attack, until our receivers catch the ball and we stop putting the ball on the ground and having stupid penalties, NO GAME PLAN will be sufficient.

• Fire 1

The single biggest mistake for me was believing that this was anything more than a decent football team. This offense is not going to be able to prevail on the ground against teams with speed on D. And we are not going to attract top recievers with speed that can catch the ball if they think they are blockers. We convinced ourselves two years in a row that we had a great QB, and the thing that we had was a qb in a system that could excel against weaker competition. Any team with speed on D can make us throw. We are a turnover machine. The Pelinis are hard working coaches but are not geniuses or miracle workers. The good news .. We have a pretty good schedule the rest of the way. We are going to lose more games, but several of our remaing opponents probably don't have the speed so the run game will work. I do not see us winning the North or going to a BCS bowl. On to the Big 10.

The single biggest mistake for me was believing that this was anything more than a decent football team. This offense is not going to be able to prevail on the ground against teams with speed on D. And we are not going to attract top recievers with speed that can catch the ball if they think they are blockers. We convinced ourselves two years in a row that we had a great QB, and the thing that we had was a qb in a system that could excel against weaker competition. Any team with speed on D can make us throw. We are a turnover machine. The Pelinis are hard working coaches but are not geniuses or miracle workers. The good news .. We have a pretty good schedule the rest of the way. We are going to lose more games, but several of our remaing opponents probably don't have the speed so the run game will work. I do not see us winning the North or going to a BCS bowl. On to the Big 10.

Ouch Billyball. Quite the statements you made there, especially the bolded. Call me a BOliever if you want, but I think these guys know what they're doing, and they're doing a great job of getting Nebraska back to the winning tradition. There are few coaches in the country who coulda turned this program around like they have in a matter of 2 1/2 years. This is one loss. They'll adjust and make this team better. There's no doubt about that.

On the other hand, nobody is infallible.

...the Zac Lee change in the 3rd quarter showed how little confidence the coaches have in any decision they've made so far.

This jumped out at me. I do not know what's meant by 'play to lose', I'm sure we didn't do that. But I think we are seeing the coaching staff be a little loose and fluid with their decisions. Bo seems to want to ignore the reality that certain types of decisions - especially those about quarterback - are more sensitive in nature and carry different types of consequences than others.

Tell me how Watson adjusted? He ran the zone read 30 times this game. If he was such a good coordinator, he would have watched film of ucla and ou and noticed they were killing texas defense with counters, dives and slams under center and in pistol. But instead he ran a zone like read play every time which will get killed by nebraska defense. Oh btw, he started passing the ball when we were alfeady down by a lot and HAD to pass the ball..or he passed the ball when it was already 3rd and long. You do realize for the first 3 qtrs we ran it every first down..wow thats so hard to predict for a defensive coordinator and you do realize that we didnt even keep the defense honest by throwing downfield, which made the defense press up the whole game to play the zone read. He ddnt watch film and he didnt adjust on how to attack that defense. You counteract fast, aggressve defense by counters, also you cant try to run to the outside against a faster D, so you run a few dives and slams so that they wont play the outside. Watson thought he could do what he wanted to do and not adjust or practice what actually works against that D, you have to give him a lot of blame as well. Maybe if we threw it more, the wrs wouldnt have dropped those passes or if he practiced it more in practice then they wouldnt drop so many passes.

It doesn't matter how many years decent to good defenses TOTALLY stuff our fluffball offense. As long as we roll over the creampuffs (or usually anyway...) SW is beyond any results evaluation or requirements.

He'll be here w/Gilmore until they retire and NU will never return to it's previous premier status for that duration. It is what it is.

If the dropped passes were catches, we would be praising Watson and the coaches for changing things up and going long in the passing game which would have softened the defense up a little for the running game.

Just a bad day at the stadium for the Huskers and now we know what a good D can and will do to us. We have to move on and plan for it again. The remaining teams on our schedule have 2 good games to watch to plan and stop our attack, until our receivers catch the ball and we stop putting the ball on the ground and having stupid penalties, NO GAME PLAN will be sufficient.

:yeah

Your right on. This offense works just fine, if you can catch some passes. I am afraid the fumbles are not going away though. Even with the fumbles Saturday, we win if we can just "catch the ball".

GBR!!!

I felt like the biggest mistake today was the preparation. We went into the game, treating it just like "another game", and Texas realized this game was THE game for their season to have any hope the rest of the way.

Coaches should be disappointed, the first mistake in all of this was not realizing how much this meant to OUR season and this program.

I am ashamed to be a Nebraska fan, as it looked as if we were playing to lose, and the Zac Lee change in the 3rd quarter showed how little confidence the coaches have in any decision they've made so far.

Congrats to the defense, because it was not their fault we lose today. Giving Texas possessions in NU territory was the reason we lose this game. You cannot blame the NU defense for giving up 20 points when Texas had field position all day like they did.

Big letdown, and I don't even know what to think from here on out. If Missouri psyches themselves up enough for the game, Missouri will win.

Nebraska cannot treat big games like "just another game" anymore. Certain games are must wins.

I didn't see that at all. I saw a team that looked timid and scared to make the big mistake. They knew how much was riding on this game, and felt the energy from the crowd. Martinez looked scared to throw to his receivers to start the game, even though they were almost always singled up in coverage. When he did throw, well we know what happened. The drops, the botched snaps, the tentative QB play all seem like concentration issues.

We all made this game such a huge deal that we became the team with everything to lose. UT was expected to lose, and didn't need another win against the Huskers to justify anything about their program.

They were loose and walked in and pounded us.

Niles Paul just dropped another pass.

I felt like the biggest mistake today was the preparation. We went into the game, treating it just like "another game", and Texas realized this game was THE game for their season to have any hope the rest of the way.

Nebraska cannot treat big games like "just another game" anymore. Certain games are must wins.

I think you got the teams mixed up. NU's issue was they were the ones waiting all year for this game. They (players and coaches) were tight and it showed. The Horns had nothing to lose and played that way.

In case you haven't noticed, this is a transition years for UT. No Colt, Shipley, Kindle, Houston, Tanner, Ulatoski, Hall, Muckleroy - all four year starters. Going into this season I thought our over/under for losses was 3. Lose less - good year, lose more - disappointing. We're pretty much tracking that way.

We went out there to play a game and we finally executed. All the Huskers body language, starting from your coach, was - this was the game to define our season and seek revenge on the hated Lomghorns. That's how you end up dropping passes and missing blocks.

To me it seemed the players were a little too jack. Like meeting your future in laws the first time. I don't believe the players approached this game, as another game. Can you blame them? The pressure of playing Texas since last December got the best of them IMHO. Things will settle down and we will be playing in a BCS game. I gotta believe that. The plan worked and we just did not execute.

I felt like the biggest mistake today was the preparation. We went into the game, treating it just like "another game", ...

Pretty sure Pelini was quoted in the media as having said they'd been preparing for this game for 10 months (in response to a question about the 'Horns having a bye week and having 2 weeks to prepare).

:yeah

Your right on. This offense works just fine, if you can catch some passes. I am afraid the fumbles are not going away though. Even with the fumbles Saturday, we win if we can just "catch the ball".

GBR!!!

So running the same play 30 times in the game was working fine? You do realize we didnt pass until later in the game right? You mean running it on every firt doewn is fine? You mean its ok for watson to not run plays that texas has troubles with (running dives, counters, slams from under center and pistol)is fine? You meann continue to run it on first and second down when texas is playing the run was working just fine? "Yeah, guys, its ok to make it second and long", you do realize, as a coach, you want to get to 3rd and 5 or shorter but watson never did that, did he? The passing game was working later on in the game (we threw ONE pass downfield in the first 3 quarters) so youre telling me it wouldnt have worked when they were cheating up to play the run the whole first half? Also, Watson has done soooo well with good defenses in the past, let me tell you. I didnt see ANY adjustments by watson except throwing the ball downfield when we had to, i.e., 3rd and long and when we were down by enough that we had to just fling the ball around. Our wrs arent used to catching the ball downfield because watson doesnt like doing that and wants them to practice blocking. Yep, its really shown that SW is such a good coach, keep doing well against the bad defenses SW and keep not adjusting to the good ones. Drops do happen to other teams, but they actually practice catching and the teams throw it more downfield than watson does so they are usedt to catching passes when it comes to actual game speed with someone in their footsteps

I felt like the biggest mistake today was the preparation. We went into the game, treating it just like "another game", ...

Pretty sure Pelini was quoted in the media as having said they'd been preparing for this game for 10 months (in response to a question about the 'Horns having a bye week and having 2 weeks to prepare).

Wrong. If anything Pelini has said the complete opposite. His message has always been you prepare for this game just like any other. It was Tim Beck, our running backs coach who jokingly said that...

The bye week for UT really isn't as big a deal since NU last played a creampuff game on Thursday, 10 days earlier. The extra two days of prep should've been of some help. I don't care if NU had 3 weeks to prepare and UT had no bye week, it doesn't help if you don't wrap up your tackles(Thenarse)and you don't catch TD's(Paul, Burkhead and Kinnie). We lost by 7 and had a at least 14 to 21 dropped by our starting Wr's/RB's. Unacceptable. Paul is projected as a pro prospect. He will not get drafted if he doesn't improve dramatically.