Why are all our home games so wacky lately?

Zerotide

Lately the majority of our home games have been wacky and just horribly played football. Any ideas? I'm gonna go with the state of Nebraska putting wayyyy too much pressure on these 18-22 year old KIDS.

I cant figure this out either. THis team is lights out on the road, but average at home.

I honestly think it stems from the fanbase's demand or expectation to win, as opposed to fans wanting, desiring, or hoping to win. Because we all have this mentality, every play sort of gets this action reaction thing going in memorial stadium where every mistake is an "OOOH." followed by massive silence. IT isn't like other stadiums you see on tv where people are just cheering wildly the whole game.

I think between the expectations from the state, coupled with the attention nationally they were getting it messed their psyche up when things started falling apart. As fans we need to learn to stick by our team throughout the entire game. The crowd needs to keep giving them support so they don't feel the letdown that the fans are feeling. It'll never happen, but it would be nice.

Memorial Stadium was the same as it was in the 90's. In fact, in the late 90's, it was even worse than it is now because anytime we didn't win 76-3 the fans were in shock. But Osborne's teams fed off the home crowd differently than the current players did. Somebody should write an article where they ask current players about what they think of playing at home. My guess is the answers to those questions would reveal a drastically different mentality than that of Jason Peter and Grant Wistrom, were you to ask them about their thoughts on playing at home.

When I went to the Texas game yesterday, the fans were on and off. One person in the Students Section kept yelling vulgarity such as "hey ref, suck my dick!". I can't stand it. The whole students section turns quiet and what are the players supposed to feel? Nobody knows. They shouldn't be pumped up when we get quiet, that is when they loose their momentum. Just my 2 cents.

If they give us something to cheer about, we will cheer. The first possession on offense just set the tone for the entire game. Then a botched punt coverage. Gilbert runs free on a couple plays, we hold them to a field goal. Good job D, okay let's get the offense going now. Crowd is still in it. Roy fumbles, but its okay we will hold them to a field goal. Gilbery runs a few more, missed tackle by Rickey on 3rd. Gilbert runs in for TD. Boom 10-0. Textbook way to take crowd out of it. NU gave the fans nothing to cheer about yesterday. The D did not use the crowd to their advantage, they looked flat and our DE's looked very slow. The offense did not use the fact that they would be able to hear the cadence without 94 Db noise to their advantage. Just imagine how loud that place would have been had we drove down the field and scored the first possession. If u wanna look at home field advantage, watch the Wisconsin game. OSU looked intimidated and that DT for Wisconsin looked like a man possessed. Going crazy after every sack. He fed off the crowd. I don't see that with this team...

• Fire 2

I was thinking kinda the same thing today but only by how wacky our losses have been in the last 2 years. I may be missing one but off the top of my head...In 09

we lose to Va Tech on a last minute blown coverage after a well played game, then we get beat by ISU 9-7 with 8 fumbles , 4 or 5 in our redzone? then we have the b12 cg basically won and mr. automatic kunalic kicks the ball out of bounds followed by 2 big penalties, a second added, and yesterday Texas beats us because we drop 3 VERY catchable td throws. I think the only team that beat us squarely in all of these losses the last year was TTech. We slit our own wrists time after time.Actually the only team that beats nebraska is NEBRASKA!

And for the first time since I have been following this team(35 years) our players don't want to play at home. We used to RARELY get beat at home, no team wanted to play in Lincoln...now.....I would rather the team travel.

the whole thing is weird. I am having a hard time making heads and tails of it.

If they give us something to cheer about, we will cheer. The first possession on offense just set the tone for the entire game. Then a botched punt coverage. Gilbert runs free on a couple plays, we hold them to a field goal. Good job D, okay let's get the offense going now. Crowd is still in it. Roy fumbles, but its okay we will hold them to a field goal. Gilbery runs a few more, missed tackle by Rickey on 3rd. Gilbert runs in for TD. Boom 10-0. Textbook way to take crowd out of it. NU gave the fans nothing to cheer about yesterday. The D did not use the crowd to their advantage, they looked flat and our DE's looked very slow. The offense did not use the fact that they would be able to hear the cadence without 94 Db noise to their advantage. Just imagine how loud that place would have been had we drove down the field and scored the first possession. If u wanna look at home field advantage, watch the Wisconsin game. OSU looked intimidated and that DT for Wisconsin looked like a man possessed. Going crazy after every sack. He fed off the crowd. I don't see that with this team...

This is what I'm talking about though, our crowd is too reactive. I think it stems from us all thinking we know enough to coach, and its like we are there to evaluate a performance like going to a play or something. sh#t, espescially when one is a student, a fan should be so delirious with fandom and/or alcohol that they don't even know who has the ball and are just yelling GO BIG RED regardless of score and situation. Then we would really have a home field advantage.