The reason this team will not live up to expectations.

epocSoN

Frost, Frazier & Crouch were no vocal "leaders" either. This thread is a non-issue.

Frost was definitely a vocal leader his senior year for the offense. Believe me, he loves to hear himself talk. Frazier was absolutely a leader. He was very confident and talked to the press all the time. He got excited alot of times and was absolutely rah-rah. Crouch, no. Def more of a lead by example. Pretty quiet. But to say Frost and Frazier weren't vocal leaders is crazy. I've also talked to Tommie, and he also isn't shy and speaks his mind.

Frost, Frazier & Crouch were no vocal "leaders" either. This thread is a non-issue.

Frost was definitely a vocal leader his senior year for the offense. Believe me, he loves to hear himself talk. Frazier was absolutely a leader. He was very confident and talked to the press all the time. He got excited alot of times and was absolutely rah-rah. Crouch, no. Def more of a lead by example. Pretty quiet. But to say Frost and Frazier weren't vocal leaders is crazy. I've also talked to Tommie, and he also isn't shy and speaks his mind.

Frost and Frazier were both leaders, but neither of them were THE leaders on their teams. For that you have to go to Jason and Christian Peter, Grant Wistrom, Zach Weigert, Aaron Graham, Jared Tomich, and Terry Connealy.

The QB doesn't have to be the de facto leader in order for a team to be great. Anyone on the team can be a leader, and it's almost never a freshman. Expecting Taylor Martinez to be the leader that Tommie Frazier was his freshman year is like expecting Taylor Martinez to be the MVP of the 2011, 2012, and 2013 national championship games.

It's not so much that Taylor is not vocal enough. There are different style of leaders. Regardless of style, I think the jury is out there on Taylor's leadership.

I see what epocSon is say, but I think the main reason the team will fall short of expectations is that they were far too high to begin with. We are in Year 3 of the Pelini regime, and we are still building a program. After the CCG last year, everyone figured we had arrived, or something. I think last year was a year where we were bolstered by one of the most outstanding defensive players in history. As a whole, our program still has a ways to go, but is on the up and up. We spent most of last year unranked, didn't we? We're going to spend most of this year ranked. Hopefully all of it. That's a step up.

Nebraska is building itself into a consistent contender and Top 25 team. That's good progress in my eyes.

It's not so much that Taylor is not vocal enough. There are different style of leaders. Regardless of style, I think the jury is out there on Taylor's leadership.

I see what epocSon is say, but I think the main reason the team will fall short of expectations is that they were far too high to begin with. We are in Year 3 of the Pelini regime, and we are still building a program. After the CCG last year, everyone figured we had arrived, or something. I think last year was a year where we were bolstered by one of the most outstanding defensive players in history. As a whole, our program still has a ways to go, but is on the up and up. We spent most of last year unranked, didn't we? We're going to spend most of this year ranked. Hopefully all of it. That's a step up.

Nebraska is building itself into a consistent contender and Top 25 team. That's good progress in my eyes.

Not good enough from here on out we should at least be in the Top 15 every year.We play 14 games now so we need to win at least 11 games on a regular basis every year.

Some good points. I think Nebraska is still a top 10 team frankly (unless we really are incapable of catching the football). But it's easy to forget how hard it is to go undefeated. The 1997 Cornhuskers got ridiculously lucky at Missouri during their letdown game. The 1994/95 teams were relentlessly hungry and focused each and every week, and didn't really have any letdowns. It's rare enough to have a team good enough to go undefeated, and it's even more rare to have a team mature enough to focus every single day, and never let up. If you don't have a team that mature, you just have to get lucky.

We don't have a team that is that mature. From the freshmen that are redshirting to the 5th year seniors, we just aren't there yet. They're still learning.

expectations are high, even Pelini said so, but i still don't see this defense being better than last year, i still don't see Watson's play calling getting any better and Gilmore's receivers are just plain ass disappointing......having said that, the reality is we will likely lose at least one more game and the CCG, if we get there......or lose 2 more games in regular season.....leaving us at 9-3 and another 2nd tier bowl game. for 3rd year rebuilding, that would not be a major disappointment...honestly.

it is just that we do not need any more player distractions, we need to keep it positive.

the worst part about all of this is, and the more i think about it the more i truly believe this, if they would have just caught their passes we would not be talking about leadership, or firing coaches, or potential qb controversy, or any of this other nonsense.

it is pretty simple, perform, catch the passes, and you win the game and all is well. very frustrating.

this is a very interesting thread.... i to believe that TM isn't that much a rah rah kind of leader but the silent type... the stotic leader... i think each kind has its plus and minus but i really think that the team would benifit if talyor became more vocal and emotional in the huddle (if this isn't the case)... a silent leader is fine but in the world of college football having a vocal QB as your leader is a natural fit and selection.. someoen that spurs greater team chemistry and unity... intangibles......

its hard to be truly successful when everyone drives away in a seperate car

I'm watching the reply and I would have to say the inexperience of TM in a big game came out, plan and simple was not prepared for that speed up front. The adjustment to blitz Gilbert came too late, once he started running the ball somebody should have said spy this guy, kindof like Texas did TM. The DEFENSE is suppose to step up when the offense is struggling, that's where a leader should be, that's what wins championships. Along with not dropping balls that could've sparked the offense, IMO.

I've come to resent how the media has jumped all over themselves to turn the greatest team sport into a focus on individuals.

Even before the season starts they talk about the Hypesman Trophy long before they mention predictions for team success...and whenever theres a teaser/commercial for an upcoming game they always name an individual player or coach first and then add his college or NFL team verses another individual player or coach and the team that person represents.

When I think of our best teams, no one "Leader" comes to mind..just a bunch of leaders (usually Seniors)..Be it position leaders or just motivational personalities.

Most athletes by the time they get to this level of play, were already team leaders in highschool and if it's a natural fit will evolve into team leaders at the college level too.

I was hoping to see somebody like Helu or Niles step up and be a leader this season. As far as I know, it sounds like Keith Williams has been the only one on offense (that I've heard of) to take charge of the team and do what needs to be done; when it needs to be done. I'll agree with you that there really hasn't been any on-field, offensive player to step up and fill that role that we need to have on the field, NOT on the sidelines.