ESPN Stat

Interesting stat on the ticker regarding Taylor Martinez this season.

When facing 6 or less defenders in the box T-Mart averages 12.7 yards per carry.

When facing 7 or more defenders in the box T-Mart averages 5.7 yards per carry.

Pretty interesting if you ask me. Just thought Id throw that out there to see what everyone else thinks.

Stats like this are absolutely meaningless.

Correlation does not imply causation etc

Im not so sure I completely agree with this. I will say that most of the time I think stats are a little skewed and should be taken with a grain of salt. However, I dislike how our offense RARELY uses a lead blocker like we used to out of the I-Formation. I sometimes wonder what would happen if we would get a lead blocker in there to help Martinez get into space easier.

With 6 guys in the box there is no need for additional blockers.

With 7 or more I think you gotta get into a more power set/use a lead blocker to help guys get in space.

I think this directly relates to the stats mentioned.

Im not so sure I completely agree with this. I will say that most of the time I think stats are a little skewed and should be taken with a grain of salt. However, I dislike how our offense RARELY uses a lead blocker like we used to out of the I-Formation. I sometimes wonder what would happen if we would get a lead blocker in there to help Martinez get into space easier.

With 7 or more I think you gotta get into a more power set/use a lead blocker to help guys get in space.

seems like you just dont see too many lead blockers that much or even 2 back sets for that matter, guess maybe OC like the 1 on 1 match-ups better with the faster guy gaining the edge, smashmouth football is on vacation. It is astounding how football has evolved in the last 10-15 years.

seems like you just dont see too many lead blockers that much or even 2 back sets for that matter, guess maybe OC like the 1 on 1 match-ups better with the faster guy gaining the edge, smashmouth football is on vacation. It is astounding how football has evolved in the last 10-15 years.

Keep in mind if you bring in a lead blocker, then the D is free to bring in an 8th defender. We have gotten around this on the QB draw when the RB lead blocks for the QB.

Keep in mind if you bring in a lead blocker, then the D is free to bring in an 8th defender. We have gotten around this on the QB draw when the RB lead blocks for the QB.

Remember the 4th down play that was actually HUGE and a big time call to go for against OSU? they faked a run up the middle to Burkhead and martin-ez followed him right up the gut and got like, 6 yds. It really fooled me and certainly fooled the defense. It looked like Rex had been tackled for about a 3 yd loss, then BAM martin-ez actually had the ball and got the 1st.

it was the first time ALL YEAR (to me at least) that it looked like Watson used our formation and tendencies to gain an advantage. And lo and behold, it was sending a back, ie blocker, through the hole first. I would love to see some misdirection with 2 backs in shotgun or under center, send one through the hole 1st and counter back the other way with a lead blocker.

I would love to see some misdirection with 2 backs in shotgun or under center, send one through the hole 1st and counter back the other way with a lead blocker.

This would be fantastic. Exactly what we need. Then you can also run some nasty play action off of this.

Why can't Watson understand how effective this would be? Seems pretty simple to me.