**Official Roy Helu Thread**

That was an awesome performance that gave me goosebumps. Helu has always had the talent and is showing he can do wonderful things when healthy. The number of long TD runs this season by him has been amazing. If the injury to Martinez isn't too serious the remaining teams on our schedule will be scratching their heads trying to gameplan for both.

not to mention that martinez has been throwing the ball exceptionally well the last 2 games they will definitely be doing some head scratching...... i feel very comfortable in saying we have a complete offense right now

LINK

Nice article, but below it you'll find Roy's post-game words to the press. Have we ever had a more humble, well-spoken guy at Nebraska? His answers were basically, "They're a great defense, I'm really surprised we did this," and, "We have to give the same credit to my blockers," and he proceeded to name off a bunch of guys and situations where his runs were aided by their efforts.

LINK

Nice article, but below it you'll find Roy's post-game words to the press. Have we ever had a more humble, well-spoken guy at Nebraska? His answers were basically, "They're a great defense, I'm really surprised we did this," and, "We have to give the same credit to my blockers," and he proceeded to name off a bunch of guys and situations where his runs were aided by their efforts.

This is why I love the kid. I'm not sure how familiar you are with his story, Knapp, but when he came here he had a pretty lousy attitude, very "me" focused (this is coming from his mouth directly). By the grace of God I suppose he got involved in Campus Crusade and ended up committing his life to Jesus and turning into the amazing man we're seeing today.

I can't ever, ever, recall seeing a more humble player at Nebraska. Maybe a few that were equal, but never someone that surpasses Roy's serving mindset.

LINK

This is why I love the kid. I'm not sure how familiar you are with his story, Knapp, but when he came here he had a pretty lousy attitude, very "me" focused (this is coming from his mouth directly). By the grace of God I suppose he got involved in Campus Crusade and ended up committing his life to Jesus and turning into the amazing man we're seeing today.

I can't ever, ever, recall seeing a more humble player at Nebraska. Maybe a few that were equal, but never someone that surpasses Roy's serving mindset.

I've read all about those stories. He's had a big turnaround, very much for the better.

Roy has had a lot of great games against good defenses and seems to step up when leaned on. Also I realize a ton of this is contingent upon line play, but work with me.

2008 (remember he only started getting more carries a game at the end of the season)

16 rushes for 157 yards @ Oklahoma

16 rushes for 115 yards v Kansas (when they were respectable)

13 rushes for 72 yards @ K-state

25 rushes for 166 yards v Colorado (I know Henery was huge but NU doesn't win w/o Roy)

Misfires:

5 rushes for -1 yards v Clemson

28 rushes for 169 yards @ Virginia Tech (4 rec, 33 yrds)

18 rushes for 88 yards @ Missouri (not spectacular but helped seal the game)* got beat up here

20 carries for 138 yards v Oklahoma (probably don't win if he doesn't shift the field position a couple times)

28 rushes for 156 @ Kansas (3 tds)

Misfires: (Note in these games Roy was hurting and Rex/D-Rob carried a lot)

5 rushes for 24 yards v Iowa State (was at this game...fumbles come to mind, but he was hurting)

14 rushes for 54 yards @ Colorado (healing? longest rush only 9 yards, Rex took a lot of well blocked carries)

10 rushes for 28 yards @* Texas (by far Roy's lowest rushing average since Clemson @ 2.8/carry, long only 7 yards)

3 rushes for 8 yards v Arizona (healing? It was the Rex Burkehead show)

Other games fine; not good or bad ~4+ yrd/carry kind of stuff. He played great against Florida Atlantic and Arkansas State, but really that's to be expected out of a NU back

I think getting his shoulder/arm/whatever it was hurt really messed up his year, if that doesn't happen, I really think Roy has a much bigger year rushing the ball.

10 rushes for 110 yards @ Washington

8 rushes for 110 yards @ Kansas State

28 rushes for 307 yards v Missouri :thumbs highlighted his true speed in this game

Misfires

11 rushes for 43 yards v Texas (at least he improved...a little)

19 carries for 59 yards v South Dakota State (somehow played worse than against Texas...)

This year Roy was hardly used at all against WKU, and had a good game v. Idaho (9c/107y), also not really needed v. OK State.

So there's what I think is the good, the bad, and the excluded average of Roy Helu as far as stats go. Looking at these helped jog some memories of when Roy played really well.

These are some fun highlight clips that have some great Roy Helu runs in them and help put some visualization on the stats and Roy's importance to the 2008/2009 teams

No, I am not saying Roy is Barry Sanders or anything, but I guess I don't think Roy gets enough credit sometimes. When the line plays very poor, the runningback can't have a good game...I don't care who you have @ RB, if a team blacks like NU did against Texas the last two meetings he isn't going anywhere, some games are understandable from that perspective. Also there are the injuries to consider, especially for the Clemson game.

That said, Roy has proven every year in several games that he can be a huge difference maker in a game, and this year against Mizzou he was THE difference. This being the case it kindof bugged me when Big 12 media pretty much ignored him when accounting for the top runningbacks in the Big 12 early this year. Demarco Murray is overrated in my opinion...everyone acts like he is great but look at his numbers if you have time. His receiving yards are good, but as a pure runningback you be the judge. (Against Texas he looks like Roy v. Clemson). The numbers tell me Daniel Thomas is more durable than Roy but not a better runner. I'd take healthy Roy over healthy Thomas. Kendell Hunter is very good and deserves the credit he is due. I'd take Roy over Iowa State's Robinson too (although at least he ran against a sleepy Texas D-line). I guess the only Big 12 runningback I would look at taking over Roy for an all conference kind of team would be Hunter.

Anyway, this post is kind of my tribute to Roy because I think he has been a fun player to watch develop. Here's to hoping NU makes it to the B12 championship game so he Roy can try to slash the Sooners (hope they make it too) for another 150+ yards.

• Fire 2

A lot of people have jumped on the Burkhead bandwagon especially after his performance in the Holiday bowl, but I've always maintained that Roy is the better and more valuable back and I'm not slamming Rex, it's just my opinion. Roy dealt with nagging injuries last year which caused him to under perform, but now that he's healthy he's reminding us all how excited we were about him his freshman and sophomore year.

• Fire 1

Helu has a great combination of strength and speed for a RB. He knows when to lower his shoulder and when to turn on the jets. He does an EXCELLENT job of picking holes and angles to run by tacklers. He’ll play on Sundays next year. And, yes, he’s been underrated at NU.

• Fire 1

I got a kick out of the announcers on Saturday saying how they didn't think the rest of the Big XII knew about Roy's true speed, so this was coming as a shock to Missouri. I kept thinking, what is it about the runs he had against Washington and Kansas State that make people think he's not fast? Helu turned on the jets in both games and blew away from DBs.

Seriously, if they're watching film and they don't know how fast Helu is, that's exceedingly poor preparation on their part (the announcers, I mean).