Yet another blown call

tman

The refs called a personal foul helmet to helmet against Meredith on the Gabbert sack. This was completely blown as well. If you go back and look at the video, you will see:

1. His head is up.

2. His shoulder pads make contact first, since his head is above his shoulders, his helmet slides to the side of Gabbert's helmet. Circumstances dictate helmet contact.

3. Even with helmet contact, it was the side of his facemask that contacted Gabbert's helmet.

4. Rule 1: Helmet to Helmet penalties involves the use of the "Crown" of the helmet which is the TOP of the helmet.

5. Rule 2: Penalties for helmet hits has to involve "Targeting with the crown" and with defenseless players.

6. Meredith fits non of these scenerios. He did not contact with the crown of his helmet. He was not after a defenseless player since Gabbert was actively scrambling and escaping the sack fully aware of the defenders and players around him which makes him a ball carrier.

And Last, I do believe that this call allowed Missouri a new set of downs which they went down and scored.

1. It was a personal foul.

2. He grabbed his facemask

3. Cams head and eyes dropped at the last second.

The call was correct.

It wasn't a facemask penalty, it was a helmet-to-helmet call. Meredith wasn't leading with the crown of his helmet. This seems to me another example of a helmet-to-helmet collision that is not avoidable in college football. It wasn't a malicious hit, he was not leading with the crown of his helmet. I don't know how you ask Meredith to defend that play any differently then he did.

The call in question begins at 4:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bykj1svCSEg

That is a moment in time. Play the whole sequence and you'll see my point. Also, how can you possibly say where his eyes are? The neck is bowed with the numbers on the back of the helmet tucked into the neck of the shoulder pads meaning his head is UP.