Big 12 officiating sux

dergibog

The officiating is really getting out of hand and has me legitimately concerned it will cost us the Big 12 title. The more I think about it, the more real it seems that the deck is stacked against us winning the Big 12. I say this because you really think the Big 12 wants to hear the following every Sat. next season from joe college football fan..."you know the Big 12 sucks...they lost their best team Nebraska and Texas is no good anymore...man, what a weak conference!". Plus if NU wins the Big 12 it will also be said..."Man the Big 10 is a great conference...they already had some top teams plus they added the best team/only BCS team from the Big 12...what a conference!". That will be the perception next season and that is the precise reason the Big 12 needs to ensure that Okie State, Mizzou, OU get through over us. They desperately need this now that Texas is out this year. Don't be surprised if a lower ranked OU or Okie State beats us in the CCG. I just have a bad feeling about this.

Don't forget that the Big 12 exit fee withheld from NU would be reduced by 500k if NU represents the conference in a BCS game. $500K is a good reason to have some calls go against NU.

That is only true if Nebraska is one of two B12 teams to get into the BCS. And getting 2 teams into the BCS is worth a lot more to the conference than the $500k NU will get.

Yeah, the refs have stunk it up this year. The P.I. against Prince during the texass game, then the no call on them for the exact same thing from the exact same ref about 5 minutes later still rubs me raw. Plus the no challenge from the refs booth about the Reed catch.

There have been about 2-4 calls per game in conference play that we have plain gotten SCREWED on.

I will be glad to see the big 12 officials in the rear view mirror. Offensive pass interference on two of ISU's TD's goes uncalled (push-off in the end zone in first half and a pick by outside receiver in second half). Targeting the head by yanking Burkhead's helmet goes uncalled, but Legate gets flagged for pushing the Cyclone off of Burkhead. A replay that clearly does NOT show the ball over the goal line reverses the call on the field giving ISU a TD. Helu's forward progress was clearly stopped on his "fumble" especially by Big 12 standards (see Gabbert last week). I really can't stomach that kind of incompetence.

I agree 100%. Can't wait for next season. Sure refs have some bad judgment calls sometime, but multiple times every game? It gets out of hand.

I will be glad to see the big 12 officials in the rear view mirror. Offensive pass interference on two of ISU's TD's goes uncalled (push-off in the end zone in first half and a pick by outside receiver in second half). Targeting the head by yanking Burkhead's helmet goes uncalled, but Legate gets flagged for pushing the Cyclone off of Burkhead. A replay that clearly does NOT show the ball over the goal line reverses the call on the field giving ISU a TD. Helu's forward progress was clearly stopped on his "fumble" especially by Big 12 standards (see Gabbert last week). I really can't stomach that kind of incompetence.

I agree 100%. Can't wait for next season. Sure refs have some bad judgment calls sometime, but multiple times every game? It gets out of hand.

We were in the NW corner, and the best example of something stinky going on yesterday with officiating happened during Niles fumble. After awarding ISU the ball their guy #7 took off his helmet while celebrating. This is an automatic 15 yarder for removing a helmet while on the field. It got better when the Line Judge came running in from the ISU side yelling and pointing at him. The ref then grabbed #7 and pointed at his helmet and then pointed at his head. Nothing done after that as the Clown ran off the field to his team with the other Clown trailing him.

This just made me laugh my ass off. Not only from this no call situation but the delerium of Niles' piss poor decision. The holding is still rediculous(both ways, we got away with a bunch as well), spots were iffy, the reviews were like two monkeys doing you know what to a football, and the icer was Rex getting his neck readjusted in front of the back judge and the Umpire.

None of these are excuses for play in my mind but just further highlighting actions for those beefing up the conspiracy theories. NU just has to play its own game and not leave games into these clowns hands.

We were in the NW corner, and the best example of something stinky going on yesterday with officiating happened during Niles fumble. After awarding ISU the ball their guy #7 took off his helmet while celebrating. This is an automatic 15 yarder for removing a helmet while on the field. It got better when the Line Judge came running in from the ISU side yelling and pointing at him. The ref then grabbed #7 and pointed at his helmet and then pointed at his head. Nothing done after that as the Clown ran off the field to his team with the other Clown trailing him.

This just made me laugh my ass off. Not only from this no call situation but the delerium of Niles' piss poor decision. The holding is still rediculous(both ways, we got away with a bunch as well), spots were iffy, the reviews were like two monkeys doing you know what to a football, and the icer was Rex getting his neck readjusted in front of the back judge and the Umpire.

None of these are excuses for play in my mind but just further highlighting actions for those beefing up the conspiracy theories. NU just has to play its own game and not leave games into these clowns hands.

Really!??? DAAAMN! I didn't see that. Well all of the people calling "conspiracty theory," this incident just strengthens their claims even more. Wow...that is a bunch of crap. It seems like ISU was definitely given a hand in the officiating aspect of the game.

At the beginning of the season while watching one of the pre-game shows, one of the announcers said that Nebraska would be lucky if any close officiating call would go their way all season during a Big-12 game. It didn't mean much at the time, but as the season rolls on, I'm beginning to see how prophetic that statement was. I've been a Husker fan since 1962, through the good and bad times, the great and "Callahan" years, and I have to admit to a certain amount of partiality when it comes to officiating. Like many true college football fans, I rejoiced when the current review system was initiated, thinking we would finally see a more fair and balanced system.

College level officials still are comprised mainly of fairly well to do men who can afford to take time to be away from their regular jobs and live vicariously in this part time activity. They are NOT PROFESSIONALS, and they are HUMAN, which means they make MISTAKES, and they have PERSONAL BIAS as well. Most of them are not in the kind of shape they once were or SHOULD BE and are most often OUT OF POSITION to make accurate calls.

All that having been said, this has been the absolutely worst year of BIG 8, and subsequently BIG 12 officiating I have ever seen. There is HOLDING by both teams on every since play, so calling that infraction becomes purely arbitrary. When it is called 70% of the time on one team, questions begin to arise. There are current concerns about injuries occurring from helmet to helmet contact. There is a simple solution. INSTANT EJECTION for the offending player. You don't call that on one player and then let it slide when it occurs 2 minutes later from a member of the other teams defense. If INSTANT EJECTION was used, perhaps coaches would stop "coaching" it as a means of dislodging a ball from a player.

And you don't really have to have a degree in rocket science to know when a player's forward motion is stopped. When six defensive players are holding the runner in such a way that he can't FALL DOWN while they rip the ball from his hands, do we really think that's a FUMBLE ?? Just because the player's legs are churning doesn't mean he's got forward momentum. And how much time should elapse after a player is on the ground before a whistle is blown ? Can't he be DOWN without a knee or elbow physically touching the ground ? A look at ACL injuries will clarify that question very quickly.

We really need to take a closer look at officiating in a world where BIG BIG MONEY is involved in college football. I'm not suggesting for a second that officials intentionally favor one team over another, but I am suggesting that Nebraska has had more than their share of call go against them this year and some of them have been quite blatant.

I have one more comment before climbing down off my soapbox. Does anyone else feel there is another sports announcer alive who can ruin a good football game like Brent Musberger ? :-) I am so sick of this tired old windbag and his anti-Nebraska harping. Not that it's only Nebraska. Brent has nothing good to say about whoever is on the field against Oklahoma, Southern Cal, Ohio State, Penn State, Florida State. He is the greatest cheerleader on the air. Let's all drop ABC an email and ask them politely to put this old workhorse out to pasture where he belongs where he can share his glory days of standing next to Roger Maris at a urinal in Yankee Stadium once or how his Grandson played in the same Pop Warner league as Joe Namath's bartender kid. Hang it up Brent......

With saturday i was at the game and my oh my was it one of the most piss-poor performances from a group of Zebras. First off they didn't call the game fair either way, and the two side judges couldn't seem to figure the right spot of the ball (ex. ISU fair catching at the 45, and being marked at the 40. NU faircatching at the 5, but marked at the 6) And the horrible job of reviewing as well. I was happy when one the zebras just seemingly collapsed.

We won't get any calls for the rest of this season. We need to stop putting ourselves in that position in the first place, but the refs are out to screw us. It's so obvious right now it's ridiculous. I wish someone on the national media level would bring attention to it. Between the no fumble call last week against Mizzou, the personal foul against Legate, and the fumble by Helu, I've never seen so many bad calls.

I fully agree the officiating has been absolutely terrible. I do however believe the touch-down was a touch down and the right call. And we absolutely cannot leave any game to be decided by big twelve refs. I don't have the time or you all would hate to read my umteen pages of complaints with the big 12, so I won't go there (your welcome). :) We all understood it will be an uphill battle this year. Us leaving the B12 is huge and nobody is happy with that decision, outside NU. I find myself complaining about the officiating way too much and have to watch that. It will be very nice to say goodbye to the B12. It's been a cluster since its inception. In the words of Clint Eastwood or William Money "deserves got nothing to do with it". (Unforgiven)

Go Big Red, Goodbye Big 12!

We won't get any calls for the rest of this season. We need to stop putting ourselves in that position in the first place, but the refs are out to screw us. It's so obvious right now it's ridiculous. I wish someone on the national media level would bring attention to it. Between the no fumble call last week against Mizzou, the personal foul against Legate, and the fumble by Helu, I've never seen so many bad calls.

I fully agree the officiating has been absolutely terrible. I do however believe the touch-down was a touch down and the right call. And we absolutely cannot leave any game to be decided by big twelve refs. I don't have the time or you all would hate to read my umteen pages of complaints with the big 12, so I won't go there (your welcome). :) We all understood it will be an uphill battle this year. Us leaving the B12 is huge and nobody is happy with that decision, outside NU. I find myself complaining about the officiating way too much and have to watch that. It will be very nice to say goodbye to the B12. It's been a cluster since its inception. In the words of Clint Eastwood or William Money "deserves got nothing to do with it". (Unforgiven)

I agree that he was in on that play, the problem is, the only clear-cut view that would show that is the camera right down the goal line. That's the only true view to show whether the ball has crossed the line, unless you have the camera on wires directly above. Crick was blocking the view of that camera therefore there was no clear view of the ball crossing the plane. The rear view shows where the ball was and where he was, but there's no way to tell where the goal line is at the time. The call on the field was no touchdown, and I still don't understand what they saw to overturn that call.

I agree that he was in on that play, the problem is, the only clear-cut view that would show that is the camera right down the goal line. That's the only true view to show whether the ball has crossed the line, unless you have the camera on wires directly above. Crick was blocking the view of that camera therefore there was no clear view of the ball crossing the plane. The rear view shows where the ball was and where he was, but there's no way to tell where the goal line is at the time. The call on the field was no touchdown, and I still don't understand what they saw to overturn that call.

You are right about the call and no clear cut evidence on video. I just like to see wrong calls made right. If the refs truely didn't see it, they should call no TD. But with the video, I believe (short of absolute, clear cut video) it was obvious. If you go by the rules set for replay.. the call on the field should have been upheld. Imo, it was a TD and righfully called. I just wish there was more common sense used, wich isn't going to happem but, jmo.

GBR!!!

You are right about the call and no clear cut evidence on video. I just like to see wrong calls made right. If the refs truely didn't see it, they should call no TD. But with the video, I believe (short of absolute, clear cut video) it was obvious. If you go by the rules set for replay.. the call on the field should have been upheld. Imo, it was a TD and righfully called. I just wish there was more common sense used, wich isn't going to happem but, jmo.

GBR!!!

Has no place in the Big 12! :LOLtartar

I was going to say that the shot that put Green out for a play or two was much more of a helmet to helmet/leading with the helmet than either Martin or Osbourne.

Roy's fumble was not a fumble from what I saw, and I didn't even take into consideration that his progress was stopped and he was held up. The TV broadcast gave us one or two shots of a different angle where it clearly showed Roy's but was on the ground and he held onto the ball. But mysteriously, after showing it once or twice, ABC quit showing it on TV, almost like Beebe had a hot-line to the ABC guys telling them not to show it anymore.

I've said it since before the season, if the Big 12, texa$$, Dodds, and Beebe have their way, NU will not get ANY calls this year. While the officiating has been terrible overall, it seems to me like there has been proprotionately more bad calls that benefit whomever Nebraska is playing than benefit Nebraska, and it is not merely a coincidence. Beebe and Dodds do not want to see Nebraska walk away with the title in their last year of the Big 12. Bank on it. If they can, they would put together an all-star team of the other 11 teams to play us if we make it (which looks more an more likely), but since someone might catch on to that, they can't. The can tweak the officiating however.

If we get to the CCG (and for the rest of the regular season) we will have to play perfectly, because we will not get the benefit of the doubt on calls. I think we have about a 10% chance winning the championship.

I was going to say that the shot that put Green out for a play or two was much more of a helmet to helmet/leading with the helmet than either Martin or Osbourne.

Roy's fumble was not a fumble from what I saw, and I didn't even take into consideration that his progress was stopped and he was held up. The TV broadcast gave us one or two shots of a different angle where it clearly showed Roy's but was on the ground and he held onto the ball. But mysteriously, after showing it once or twice, ABC quit showing it on TV, almost like Beebe had a hot-line to the ABC guys telling them not to show it anymore.

I've said it since before the season, if the Big 12, texa$$, Dodds, and Beebe have their way, NU will not get ANY calls this year. While the officiating has been terrible overall, it seems to me like there has been proprotionately more bad calls that benefit whomever Nebraska is playing than benefit Nebraska, and it is not merely a coincidence. Beebe and Dodds do not want to see Nebraska walk away with the title in their last year of the Big 12. Bank on it. If they can, they would put together an all-star team of the other 11 teams to play us if we make it (which looks more an more likely), but since someone might catch on to that, they can't. The can tweak the officiating however.

If we get to the CCG (and for the rest of the regular season) we will have to play perfectly, because we will not get the benefit of the doubt on calls. I think we have about a 10% chance winning the championship.

I cringe at the thought of playing OSU again in the championship game, we might set the NCAA record for most P.I. calls in one game.