our run defense

Hunter94

I think it is that bad. I have heard it is just the scheme we run, The D line is coached to occupy space while the LB come up to make the tackle. I am not buying it though. I think our guys up front need to hit the weight room and grab some heart. If they could put some pressure on the QB once in awhile or stop the 4 and 5 yard runs on first down, the whole D clicks. I guess we miss Suh more than we thought we would.

Yah, we do have real problems with the run D. I can swallow the scheme arguments when we're holding teams to 14 or less anyway, but with ISU hanging 30+ on us the argument rings a little hollow. There was no way our D-Line would have allowed that crud last year. I say it's on them really.

Just to keep it all in perspective, however, we're still a pretty darn good defense. I'm calling this week a fluke due to missing secondary players.

What was wrong with it today? Alexander Robinson got 108 yards - on 32 carries. Arnaud got 56 yards, on 13 carries, with some of his bigger runs coming from broken pass plays.

Could tackling be better? Yes. Could backside containment be better? Yes. But even with those issues, our run D was pretty good today.

Our biggest issue today was simply too many CBs went out. Lets face it, Anthony West is awful. And we were playing Lance Thorell at points in this game. We definitely NEED Dennard back, and Evans as well. The dropoff after those guys is pretty staggering.

What was wrong with it today? Alexander Robinson got 108 yards - on 32 carries. Arnaud got 56 yards, on 13 carries, with some of his bigger runs coming from broken pass plays.

Could tackling be better? Yes. Could backside containment be better? Yes. But even with those issues, our run D was pretty good today.

Our biggest issue today was simply too many CBs went out. Lets face it, Anthony West is awful. And we were playing Lance Thorell at points in this game. We definitely NEED Dennard back, and Evans as well. The dropoff after those guys is pretty staggering.

Thanks for some common sense, it seems like some guys dont understand what our defensive scheme is all about, its ridiculous. Would be nice to tackle a little better.

Thanks for some common sense, it seems like some guys dont understand what our defensive scheme is all about, its ridiculous. Would be nice to tackle a little better.

Please enlighten us on what our D scheme is all about as you seem to be in the know.

quick hit about our defense's struggles:

i lost count or how many times our guys lost their footing in coverage, most likely due to the fact that we were playing on grass.

the only other time we will have to play on grass this season (minus the bowl game because that's a possibility) is at A&M.

They should have only scored about 3 points. Niles doesn't fumble on our ten and they only have 17 and never get to overtime.

another play (TD against ciante evans) the cb slipped and was sliding before their guy caught the ball.

we were missing an all-american candidate at corner, and our primary hybrid for much of the game (Gomes) and had to play our worst cover db (west) much of the game.

we get better cleats and we hold them to 10 or less. easy.

just looks like we actually pretty well on d to me. (besides gomes missing like 3 huge tackles which are excusable to some extent in my book because he played dinged up and the other guy was like 6'5")

Well said. They took advantage of the Dennard injury. The TD passes were over our backup CB that dennard would most likely not have allowed to happen (excpet one...pick on David)...evans inexperienced and West just isnt good (see true freshman starting over him)

Lucky to get out with a win, with all we had stacked against us. We get healthy by ATM and it should be a great game with the way they are playing. Win the CCG and play Boise in a BCS bowl.