DO NOT FORGET ABOUT BRION CARNES

was carnes even at the game? i heard he didnt travel

No he was not, he is not on the travel team this year. If they are going to burn the redshirt they would have to plan it ahead of time and take him with them or do it at home. Either way, I don't think it happens. Watson said that Brion was swimming at the beginning of the season and that they were giving him a little bit at a time to not overload him. He has a gigantic new system to learn at Nebraska and he needs the full year to do it. They will throw him into the mix in the spring and then see what he learns this summer... next fall he will get his shot, but he needs this time to learn and prepare.

You do NOT burn his red shirt this year.

Agreed, especially not this late in the season. Winning the conference is not important enough to burn his shirt.

Sorry, knapplc, but I couldn't disagree more. Even though I don't think you burn his shirt in the game yesterday, winning the conference is the most important thing outside of winning a national championship. No player's future or current status on eligibility is more important than winning, especially with the influx of talent we have coming in at QB and our starter is a freshman.

If injuries had Lee and Martinez out the entire season right now, you wouldn't burn Carnes' shirt?

I would, and I think I know what Bo would do in that situation. However, I am not privy to his ability in order to make this call. Maybe he isn't any better than Green right now.

To burn Carnes' shirt we would have to have a very good chance of winning the conference if he plays, PLUS we would have to be nearly guaranteed that Martinez will not be able to lead the team, PLUS we would have to be guaranteed that Lee cannot go the rest of the year, PLUS we would have to be guaranteed that Green couldn't possibly get it done, PLUS we would have to be nearly guaranteed that the mistakes inherent in a Freshman won't cost us the title if we play Carnes (see Martinez' fumbles), PLUS we would have to be guaranteed that the very limited offense we could run with Carnes would be able to beat the team(s) we put him against.

We saw how poorly a very limited offense works against ISU. We barely won the game, and ISU outgained us 316-360.

We've seen how many mistakes Martinez made early against weak competition; Carnes would go up against Kansas, A&M, Colorado and Oklahoma State. There is no margin for error against A&M and OSU.

We do not know that Martinez is out for the season, or will not be able to play against A&M.

We do not know that Lee is out for the season, or will not be able to play against A&M.

We do not know that Green can't play better than he did yesterday.

We would have to have a reasonably solid guarantee that all of the above is true/likely to happen, and that on top of this, Carnes is not only capable of leading us to victory, but likely to. If he is not LIKELY to, we cannot burn his shirt.

Those are the obstacles in the way of Carnes starting. I think they are far too many to overcome simply to play a Freshman that is, by one report, doing fairly well in practice.

With all of this, I would far rather see LaTravis Washington get a couple of starts than Carnes.

Hey man, I think you could have just typed the bolded part instead of just making my post more detailed, I said all of those things before...(see the bolded part of my post)

I'm just saying that without knowing what the coach's see everyday in practice how can we just say "You don't burn his redshirt."

Hey man, I think you could have just typed the bolded part instead of just making my post more detailed, I said all of those things before...(see the bolded part of my post)

I'm just saying that without knowing what the coach's see everyday in practice how can we just say "You don't burn his redshirt."

Typing all of that lets you know I understand what you understand. I could have just been whistling Dixie; I just wanted to explain my position.

EDIT - to anyone who watches the Bo Pelini Show - did you guys see Carnes' interview with the Scout Team coach? Carnes is rail thin right now. He really has to put on some muscle before I'd let him go up against a Div 1A defense.

Typing all of that lets you know I understand what you understand. I could have just been whistling Dixie; I just wanted to explain my position.

EDIT - to anyone who watches the Bo Pelini Show - did you guys see Carnes' interview with the Scout Team coach? Carnes is rail thin right now. He really has to put on some muscle before I'd let him go up against a Div 1A defense.

Okay, wait....whistling Dixie.....r u an SEC fan now knapplc?

:LOLtartar